New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"Something Rotten" (No spoilers, just some teasers)
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 15, 2004 12:11AM

Hi.

I've just finished reading the proof copy of "Something Rotten" that was given to me on Saturday. Though not a patch on WoLP, it's still a fine little book. I won't give anything away, but I'll provide a few irrelevant teasers anyway:

-the web address for the new special features will be www.jasperfforde.com/specialtn4.html though at the moment it isn't working
-the book starts with a dramatis personae (though it misses a number of characters, notably Joffy and Miles)
-there are illustrations throughout this time. Though not quite up to Quentin Blake standards, they are a welcome addition
-the next Next book, according to the back, will be "The Great Samuel Pepys Fiasco" in July 2005 (ISBN 0340825944)
-the first chapter is entitled "A Cretan Minotaur in Nebraska"

Re: "Something Rotten" (No spoilers, just some teasers)
Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2004 12:17AM

DIdn;t your mother ever tell you it's not nice to tease others who are less fortunate than you.? :)

Date: June 15, 2004 12:20AM

Apologies. It's one of the perks of keeping a toe in the retail side of the book industry.

I'll give one more teaser, then leave it at that:
-most of the opening chapter quotes aren't from Jurisfiction texts, diaries or biographies this time round. They're from newspapers and magazines.

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2004 12:26AM

I was only kidding! Please tell us more!

Re:
Date: June 15, 2004 12:33AM

Well, there's only so much I can say without giving away the plot points, isn't there? Besides, I don't want to spoil things too much; someone read the copy I read before me and told me something ambiguous about Landen which kinda spoiled it for me.

I will reply to any specific questions if they're asked, but only by email. Ask a question with your email address and I'll be glad to help. :n)

EDIT: No quoting of large sections of the book, mind.

Post Edited (06-15-04 01:34)

Posted by: Loopy Lou (---.wilderness.com.au)
Date: June 15, 2004 04:40AM

don't say anything more. i don't want it spoiled. just reassure us its good!

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: June 15, 2004 02:02PM

I've seen a few proofs on ebay, but the two US edition ones up so far have sold for $58 and $46, which is more than I'm prepared to pay for a paperback novel.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.mh.bbc.co.uk)
Date: June 15, 2004 03:03PM

Can we zap the thread until there's a SR forum specifically? It seems rather unfair to even list characters, IMHO, and I can't be the only one. At least it's clearly labelled, but still...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: splat21 (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 15, 2004 05:31PM

I agree - personally I'd rather not hear about it until it's published. We've been scrupulous about not spoiling the other books for each other, it seems a shame to stop that now.

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 15, 2004 06:06PM

Surely the whole point of this thread though wasn't to spoil anyone's enjoyment of the new book but merely to announce to the whole playground in a very loud voice, "NYAH NYAH DE NYAH NYAH I'VE READ IT AND YOU LOT HAVEN'T YET SO THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN YOU"?

In which case it's served it's purpose anyway and can probably be closed without further ado. I honestly can't see any other reason for having created it in the first place.

Posted by: diana (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 15, 2004 08:26PM

magda, proof is a proof!!!! if you get the proof signed, it will be worth a bit more than that in the future. although, this one, not too sure how many US proofs they've made, but apparently there are many uk ones.. that wouldn't be too good for the sellers. frankly, i don't really like this whole proof business. people get the proofs for free, they should give them out for free too...

ptolemy :)
proofs are one of the few joys of working as a bookseller. so leave the boy/girl alone :) then again, i don't really tell my customers who ask when the next jasper fforde book is coming out that 'august, but i have a proof at home actually. not read it yet as i'm only halfway through the second TN, but will definitely read it before it's published'. that would be just plain silly. i admit i get the urge sometimes though :)
d

Posted by: Dibs (---.brnt.adsl.virgin.net)
Date: June 15, 2004 08:31PM

I like being teased.

Posted by: ABL in Hell (170.141.109.---)
Date: June 15, 2004 08:42PM

Is that an invitation?

Posted by: violentViolet (---.arcor-ip.net)
Date: June 15, 2004 08:44PM

Depends on who teases me and how.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colourless green ideas sleep furiously.

(N. Chomsky 1957)

Posted by: Ptolemy (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 15, 2004 08:49PM

Well said, Diana - couldn't agree with you more (on all counts). Here - have a cake and a bottle of wine to wash it down with!

Posted by: diana (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 15, 2004 08:58PM

aaah, i like that :) well, back to the lost in a good book now, i'm almost almost done with it
d

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 15, 2004 09:02PM

Oops, forgot to say welcome, hen. I agree that it's a nananananaaah thread though.

Proofs are there to persuade bookshops to stock lots and lots of books, and the viral marketing of which they are a part have been vital for the TN books. I've no problem with them, but taunting ordinary readers seems terribly unfair.

However, seeing as you're being leant it, chuck, you couldn't possibly lend it over this side of the atlantic? I've got a burning desire to get the ordeal of playing 'spot the reference' out of the way early this time...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: splat21 (---.range217-44.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 15, 2004 09:06PM

Me too, both of you. Got any g&t Ptolly?

_ _ _ _ _

If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 15, 2004 09:08PM

Nope, but I've got a decent bottle of wine on the go. I splashed out for a change (£4.35 from Kwik-save)

PSD

==========

Posted by: ABL in Hell (170.141.109.---)
Date: June 15, 2004 09:12PM

Pass it around!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.