New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: SPOILERS - read at your own risk, yes I mean YOU!
Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 04, 2004 03:28PM

Yes, Jasper mentioned that detail at the London signing too, but my original speculation about YK's true identity took place before that evening. (H'mmm, it's a shame that he wasn't called 'Yorrick II Kaine', because if he had been then he could be referred to as 'Y2K'... ;-)

"Customers are advised that this product may
contain meat from re-engineered species."

Posted by: Emmetropia (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: August 07, 2004 12:50PM

Having just skipped through TWoLP for Granny Next mentions, we can apparently look forward to Thursday being God Emporer of the Universe and also being a man for 24 hours.

Hee hee.

Posted by: Mayhem (---.l5.c5.dsl.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 07, 2004 10:36PM

Also people dont forget that there is ANOTHER Hades to deal with apart from Aornis. In TWOLP Thursday mentions in a snippet at the top of t page 281 (uk version);

"The Hades family as I knew them comprised, in order of age; Acheron, Styx, Phlegethon, Cocytus, Lethe and the only girl Aornis."

At the bottom of this passsge Thursday also says; "In time, I was defeat three of them." As we all know she has defeated 2 of them (Acheron and Aornis) but which one is the third? (im not counted Styx as he is dead of course!) Any thoughts?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 07, 2004 11:20PM

You think Jasper would pass up a chance to use a great name like Phlegethon as a character? It'd be my bet that if he does go with another Hades, that would be the one. Besides, out of the remaining names, that one has the best sing-songy flow and that's what Jasper likes in names....

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: August 09, 2004 10:37AM

I didn't think Thursday has actually defeated Aornis yet. Although it is entirely possible that she has, but Aornis's last trick was to play a mind game that made her forget she had, forcing her to go on a mad crusade to get revenge on someone she killed a bit ago, while it becomes more and more obsessive. Alternatively of course, she might make everyone think she's dead, so she can escape.

Seems the sort of mind games she'd play.

Anyway the others might show up, but maybe it's not be Thursday who defeats them.

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: LucyJ (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 09, 2004 07:15PM

uurm. i didn't work it out. but thins is the person who didn't understand why a drum shop was called Dr.Um

Posted by: Steed (194.200.241.---)
Date: August 18, 2004 12:19PM

I didn't guess about Granny Next...

Was the secrety cloning facility a nod to X-men 2?

-----------------------------------------------

The Xanadu revival starts HERE

Posted by: Anonymous User (195.10.15.---)
Date: August 18, 2004 03:00PM

She hasn't defeated Aornis, just the mind worm. Aornis is still out there.

Plus as she's beaten the mind worm, Aornis's memory techniques shouldn't work so well, should they? I'm sure Granny says something about that.

Have we been reading the same books?

Posted by: InvisibleManiac (---.cw-visp.com)
Date: August 18, 2004 06:24PM

Hmmm... toast....

--
IM - The Friendly Voice of Chaos

"Hey! You tore up my tablecloth!"

Date: August 18, 2004 06:27PM

Hmm... toast....

--

Date: August 19, 2004 07:00PM

Sorry about the double post.

Heh, that rhymes...

--

Posted by: LQ (---.adsl.entanet.co.uk)
Date: August 21, 2004 10:53PM

Anyone noticed that we've all been proved wrong as well with any speculation that her son is also her father?

Well, that's assuming I didn't come up with the idea myself and dream fforumites support of me.

Posted by: Andrea (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 24, 2004 02:50PM

The cloning place reminded me more of Dark Angel

[www.darkangelfan.com]

---
Sylvester says.... *plock*

actually he says peep, cheep, chirrup, squalk,muttermuttergrumblegrumble, oh and now he falls off his pirch whish is followed by a sheepish peek round to see if anyone was looking and a quick scramble back up

Posted by: lrm (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: September 06, 2004 01:37AM

Has it occured to anyone that we may not have seen the end of Acheron? It is mentioned several times in LIAGB and SR that due to Thursday's celebrity after The Eyre Affair, a film is being made of it starring Lola Vavoom.
The script for this film should mean that a fictional version of Acheron (and of Thursday) will exist in the Bookworld.
How about the real Thursday teaming up with her fictional self the tackle the fictional Hades?

Posted by: xshinex (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: September 12, 2004 04:47PM

it was so sad to see granny go T_T

im kinda mad now because for a month i was in a reading frenzy from the 1st to current book, and now i have nothing else to read...

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: September 13, 2004 04:43PM

May I heartily recommend you look on the Nextian Chat, there's a thread called something like "Now What?" which has great recommendations from fforumites on what to read next. Or you could invent time travel if you're really impatient, but it seems a bit extreme.

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: Dawn (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 17, 2004 04:10AM

As for loose ends, stig has the books to creating children for his species which could be interesting, goliath isn't totally gone just run by toast (I'm sure they will figure a way out of it), as someone ahs already mentioned the 28 people and the minotaur, thursday is still the bellman, Friday has yet to grow up to be the head of the chronogard (where does he get his experience), big martin is still floating about and harris tweed was only banished to the outland, not killed. Mycroft still has inventions and nextian mathematics. Not to mention, the hades family.

I think jasper has a great deal left to write but probably needs a bit of time off. Writing something this complex has got to throw your mind into a whirl.

Posted by: Sophie (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: September 22, 2004 12:23PM

Speaking of loose ends, who killed Godot? That's one loose end still to be tied up. Also, it is my belief that Phlegethon will be used in future books as it is mentioned that Aornis is the worst of them all not counting Phlegethon. Hmm, anyone else find this peculiar?

Posted by: A. Salieri (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 22, 2004 09:28PM

Rather peculiar, and the matter of who killed Godot is a bit like finding out what day he's going to meet you somewhere(obviously no where now, seeing as he's dead...)
Best Regards,
~Antonio Salieri~

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 29, 2004 08:50AM

The Winston Churchill story isn't finished either - but he no longer falls out of a tree at 14.

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.