New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Geoffrey Rush
Posted by: Auntysassy (---.ilford.mdip.bt.net)
Date: August 01, 2004 07:48PM

Now as much as I adore Geoffrey Rush (I loved Quills even if the critics didn't! and yes I know that Jasper worked on that particular film) and think that he would make an excellent Emperor Zhark, I can not see how Thursday would know of his existence in 1988 (Chapter 17 - Emperor Zhark).

Rush made a couple of Australian films in the early 1980s (Hoodwink in 1981 and Starstruck in 1982) but didn't hit the big time until Shine in 1995 (this is in no way disparaging of his multiple stage works in Australia from the mid 1970s.)

So has Jasper rigged the release date of Shine by 7 years as well as Mel Gibson's Hamlet by 4 years? I think we should be told.

Re: Geoffrey Rush
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2004 08:03PM

ah, the joys of the alternate universe...LOL

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 04, 2004 05:20PM

I absolutely loved that line about Geoffrey Rush - but really because I'm a HUGE Geoffrey Rush fan (Quills, especially!) - truthfully, I wasn't bothered by the issue of the release of the films in regards to the timeperiod of the book. I didn't even notice it until reading the credits at the end of the book and learning about Gibson's Hamlet. Actually, it *could* be argued that in this "alternate universe" certain films were released years before they were in *our* universe...that's what's great about creative licsense :)

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: August 05, 2004 11:39AM

Well, my knowledge of Celebrity is precious little, but actors who do classics would be much more in the limelight, and if he was in a classic which noone watched here, it could well still get critical aclaim in thursday's world.

What has he been in other than quills by the way? I can't remember actors very well, but if you say "he played ABC in XYz", then there's a chance I'll go "AaH!"

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.freedom2surf.net)
Date: August 05, 2004 12:08PM

He played David Helfgott in "Shine" and was the theatre owner who bought "Romeo and Ethel the Pirate's Daughter" in Shakespeare in Love" - if that helps!

Posted by: SingingHels (62.138.169.---)
Date: August 05, 2004 01:23PM

And he was the evil pirate in 'Pirates of the Caribbean'

Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: August 08, 2004 12:39PM

Don't forget Walsingham in Elizabeth an excellent assassin

Posted by: Canucklehead (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: August 08, 2004 03:53PM

.... and Francis Hare in Ned Kelly last year and Nigel in Finding Nemo.

Posted by: Auntysassy (---.webport.bt.net)
Date: August 10, 2004 09:51PM

And he was nominated for Best Supporting Actor Oscar (copyright thingy that the American Film bods like to do so much....) both Walsingham and the theatre owner in Shakespeare in Love (can't remember the character because didn't think much of the film) in the same year. Should have won it for Walsingham, one of the greatest Englishmen that have ever lived!

Posted by: LRM (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: August 29, 2004 11:08PM

Maybe in the Nextian Universe, Australia; and particularly Australian actors; are in an excelerated timeline (the Mel Gibson "Hamlet" did not appear until 1991).
I like the Rush reference- I had thought Acheron Hades was like Casanova Frankenstein, the villain he played in "Mystery Men"

Posted by: Gwenhwyfar (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: September 05, 2004 02:40PM

Don't worry about it, Sweetpea. (It bothered me too, but I decided that Thursday's dad would find some completely illogical convoluated explanation fo the time gaffes.)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: September 23, 2004 07:25AM

Don't forget his GREATEST PORTRAYAL OF INSPECTOR JAVERT EVER (well... maybe tied with Philip Quast... mmmmm... Quast-alicious...) in the '95 Liam Neeson/Claire Danes/Uma Thurman version of "Les Miserables". Surely the incredible performances of Neeson and Rush would earn some respect in Thursday's classics adoring world, though the rest of the movie would've been burned. (And rightfully so - Marius led the revolution? Valjean hit Cosette? Cosette held Javert at gunpoint? No Eponine? What the ?!) Maybe in Thursday's world, the movie had been made several years earlier, and had been made *accurately* to the book (and was, therefore, powerful, moving, and over 12 hours long - like movies should be *grin*)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.030.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: September 23, 2004 07:39AM

As a aussie, it made me proud that Fforde had used two actors of ours in the book, more so when he used Rush as it is far from known compared to Gibson. Its the little things that make us aussies proud!!!!

Posted by: Dexter Craven (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: October 01, 2004 03:22PM

I don't know, I think he makes his films to quickly. It's always Geoffrey Rush this and Geoffrey Rush that; I think he should slow down a bit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.