New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Lorem Ipsum
Posted by: Anonymous User (193.173.33.---)
Date: August 03, 2004 09:18AM

Re: Lorem Ipsum
Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: August 03, 2004 12:47PM

Nice, if completely pointless. I couldn't help but wonder if the latin translated as something relevant, but my latin isn't what it used to be.

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: boffin (---.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: August 04, 2004 08:36PM

Or, to put it another way; howabout a translation for us lesser beans wot don't speak forrin tongues?
Further comment as Andy's: and in addition my own:-
even when my Latin was what it isn't now, it wasn't anything to shout about. Would that my Latin master had had the same attitude: unfortunately he shouted about it all the time. Loudly.
Ah, well :- 'Valde hiatus deflensus est.' as the SPQR mob used to say.
I think it should be :- 'Valde hiate deflensus est', but who cares anyway?

Post Edited (08-05-04 03:34)

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2004 08:48PM

According to my research, Lorem Ipsum isn;t meant to make sense. It's just there to fill in space.

Posted by: boffin (---.friaco.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: August 05, 2004 02:35AM

Hah! Much like my posts, then. Innit?

Date: August 05, 2004 02:54AM

:) There's no way to answer that without getting myself in trouble.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2004 03:12AM

It's great for typesetting mockups. I use it when I do web design. It really gives you the visual flow of the real written word rather than cutting and pasting "Content goes here Content goes here" over and over.

Posted by: boffin (---.friaco.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: August 05, 2004 03:33AM

To Slightcap. Oh, go on. Throw caution to the winds, bread to the ducks, alms to the needy, amd legs to the
inebriated. Live dangerously. I can't run after you, and I haven't mastered the voodoo doll approach...yet.
Hold on, just a minnit, and all that type of stuph. The
time is an hour in advance; I reckon it's only 03:35 ish,
give or take a month or so, but the time on the post is 04:35?

Post Edited (08-05-04 04:37)

Date: August 05, 2004 04:07AM

Well, that's becasue for some strange reason this forum is an hour ahead of you. Which makes it 6 ahead of me, instead of 5.

And i was going to say that i always assume that your posts make sense.

Posted by: Anonymous User (193.173.33.---)
Date: August 05, 2004 07:08AM

If you click on the link, you'll see that with the limited amount of words available not much of it can make that much sense.

However when DH82 steals his battenburg Friday says:

"nostrud laboris nisi et commodo consequat. Excepteur sint cupidatat non proident."

Which appears to relate to the original texts:

"quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat."

"Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident."

So he appears to be saying something along the lines of "I do all the work and he gets the reward."

That's pretty loose, Ipsum Lorem is bastardised Cicero, a strict translation is nigh on impossible.

I apologise for the tiny spoiler (though I believe the revealment of this act of cake theft should not spoil any plot twists)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: August 05, 2004 06:16PM

Hey Boffin, did your latin master also kick a lot and cause people to pass out or 11-13 year olds to wet themselves when he went into an apopleptic rage? If so, I might know him.

Date: August 05, 2004 08:05PM

To Kradlum. No, not quite that bad. And as he would be at least 90 years old by now, possibly unlikely anyway. Name of Thomas, a welshman.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: August 05, 2004 09:55PM

Hmmm... not far off, mine was Thompson, who should be about 104 since he was patently born in Victorian times, but in reality is probably only in his mid 50s.

Date: August 06, 2004 08:59PM

To Slightcap. Gee, thanx! Whee, I gotta fan. Must be a
first. Even I don't assume that my posts make sense,
well not to other people that is. In the tortuous labyrinths of my head, they do, mostly; when they get loose this may not be true anymore, but then, what is truth? If I have already offended anyone, I apologise, and
if I do it in the future, I apologise in the here-and-now.
I sometimes fall into the trap of assuming that if I know something, then everybody knows it, which is obviously due to a faulty error-checking protocol somewhere.

Posted by: Vicky (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: August 17, 2004 04:11PM

It is supposed to be from "dolorem ipsum" which is almost translatable as "pain for its own sake" and if I am completely off then I apologise and need to go back to the books before my exam-which is far too close anyway!

Posted by: Kathleen (---.neo.rr.com)
Date: September 15, 2004 12:32AM

I've been assuming all along that the Latin means something. I speak/read French and Spanish and have been trying to cognate, but I'm not getting very far with these.
I am on page 167 and have been assuming that somewhere along the line Thursday will realize that Friday is actually speakintg Latin, some great plot cog will engage and we will be told what that's all been about.
Am I entirely wrong about this?

Posted by: Kathleen (---.neo.rr.com)
Date: September 15, 2004 12:32AM

I've been assuming all along that the Latin means something. I speak/read French and Spanish and have been trying to cognate, but I'm not getting very far with these.
I am on page 167 and have been assuming that somewhere along the line Thursday will realize that Friday is actually speakintg Latin, some great plot cog will engage and we will be told what that's all been about.
Am I entirely wrong about this?

Posted by: A. Salieri (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 15, 2004 09:52PM

Anyone here know enough LI (if, indeed it does mean something) to translate the phrase that Fri. says when Thursday asks if "Gran and Bismarck kissed?" Also, if LI is popular in the BookWorld, how come Thur., as Bellman, doesn't speak it????

Content goes here. Content goes here. Content goes here.

Yes, I now know why you use LI. :)

Best Regards,
Antonio Salieri

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.