New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
TN5??
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 04, 2004 05:33PM

So I work at the public library in my hometown and I'm working on Saturday, and I've been there for like three hours. Then all of a sudden I look over at the new books and what do I see on the shelf?? "Something Rotten!" I literally gave an audible gasp and got so excited - all of the people I worked with were looking at me and had no idea why I was so happy! Especially since I thought it wasn't coming out till sometime this week!

Anyway, I just finished it last night and, I don't know, I liked it, but it seemed a little too neat at the end. I think someone else in these posts called it straightforward, which is exactly what I thought it was, too. Maybe I'm just so used to Thursday going into a book and doing something big, that I was a lil bit let down. Not to say I didn't like it! How could I not? It's Thursday!

Of all the books, I think LIAGB is my favorite - but only because I absolutely *adore* Landen and he and Thursday are so cute together :)

But now I'm wondering if anyone knows if Jasper plans on writing a TN5. At this point, I don't know - I mean, it seemed like the whole point of 2, 3, and now 4 was to get Landen uneradicated. Plus we found out all about Granny/Thursday and how Friday goes into the Chronoguard. What's left? (I hope lots, 'cause I can't live without these books!!!) Truthfully - as an American - I think he should have Thursday go into some American novels. I realize that copyright laws could prevent that, but I think it would be fun, anyway!

I guess I could always ask Jasper himself when I go to his book signing in Cleveland, OH in a week! :-D

Re: TN5??
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2004 03:10AM

yes, there will definitely be a TN5, but instead of a continuing storyline/cliffhanger format, it will be more a stand-alone Thursday adventure. Of course the characters will recur, but the suspense will probably be more focused around the particular case than bad things happening to her loved ones.

(this is what I've gleaned from conversations with Jasper along with the SR Special Features section)

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: August 05, 2004 09:09AM

From the feeling I got, rather than any solid facts, TN4 was an attempt to clear up the inordinate amount of loose ends left behind, which it manages well while still being pretty darn tooting good. It also leaves enough to intrigue us later. I think the next Next story will actually be set in between TN3 and TN4, but that's probably just me pretending to know more than I do.

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: dante (---.mh.bbc.co.uk)
Date: August 05, 2004 04:27PM

No, i think you're right - I read something that said it would be The Samuel Pepys Fiasco, referred to in SR?

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 28, 2004 01:04AM

Someone brought up this question at the last book signing I went to. Jasper said that the next book he publishes won't be a Thursday Next adventure (which resulted in groans from most of the people there). He does plan on writing more TN books, just not immediately. He said that the next TN book might not even star Thursday. Maybe it'll have stuff about Friday? Who knows? For now, the next book he's publishing is "Nursery Crimes"... stuff like "Who murdered Humpty Dumpty?" and stuff like that. Should be interesting. It's due out some time next year.

Posted by: Lue (216.18.4.---)
Date: September 03, 2004 11:40PM

I'm hoping that Jasper will give us some clear indication so that we can do the appropriate preparatory reading to prepare for it.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.europa.bt.com)
Date: September 07, 2004 09:46AM

redvogue - surely Thursday has already been in at least one American book "The Raven" or was EAP British? (now I've written this I realise that I don't know and I've just kind of assumed he's a Yank!)
And what about the Western in SR? Although fair enough it could have been pulp written by an Hungarian or someone completly UnAmerican!

Posted by: xshinex (---.gbrownc.on.ca)
Date: September 07, 2004 06:48PM

It would be fun to see a character jump to an oriental book. (that's if the library HAS oriental books.)

Date: September 07, 2004 09:27PM

Quote:
Or was EAP British?
Nope, he was American...born in Boston and educated in Richmond and Charlottesville, VA (University of Virginia - his dorm room was #13!!) Then he lived in Baltimore, where he wrote The Raven. Baltimore claims him as theirs. They've even named their football team The Ravens :)

I think *that* Great Library has books written in English, whether it's the Queen's English doesn't really matter, I believe. There are other libraries for other languages mentioned in LIAGB or WOLP, iirc.

Quote:
And what about the Western in SR?
Written by Hungarians eh? Well, most of us know of a certain Englishwoman who writes westerns....don't we, Skiffle! (check the credits page...a certain G.F. Taylor is mentioned!)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.030.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: September 20, 2004 02:24AM

noooooooooooooo! I dont want this book to be the last of the Thursday next. (TN4) She has such spunk and youve gotta love her. I read the book in a day which is really frustrating as it means that it doesnt continue on. I am going to go over the last few books again... but still I would love to have more tN books, why couldnt she not find out who Granny Next was, and maybe have a few other thigns left hanging??? And do you think Friday would be as entertining as TN is???

Date: September 21, 2004 03:27PM

Don't worry...there will be more TN books...just not serialized with cliffhangers like the previous ones. Jasper said they'd be more focused on the particular case rather than on all the family bruhaha (although I'm sure they'll still figure, but the plot won't center around them as much)

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 29, 2004 08:52AM

What I don't know is how Thursday knew how old Friday's wife was in 1988...

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.inter.net.il)
Date: October 10, 2004 05:28PM

First of all, i think i just might cry if ther are no more thursday next books. Fortunately, Jasper doesnt seem to have given up yet (judging by all the interviews, special features, etc around here), so I won't either. I would love to read teh samuel pepys fiasco, except for one itsy bitsy issue... NO LANDEN! Do you know how many months i spent ranting at the books themselves that landen wasnt back yet! God, I'm a lunatic! But Nursery crime soudns good.
Oh well, we can only wait and see... and reread the first four

Posted by: Naquita (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: October 29, 2004 02:11PM

Hey TN5 is spposed to comeout in England on July 17 2006: according to amazon!!!!!!!!!! Whoohoo can't wait but hopefully nursery crimes will keep me tied over!

Posted by: Anonymous User (203.78.9.---)
Date: November 04, 2004 05:15AM

so let me get this straight.The next book is not about Thursday, it's about the altered Caversham Heights(or Nursery Crimes)?TN-5 is going to be The Samuel Pepys Fiasco?I can't make sense of it.When is the next Fforde coming out and what in BookWorld is it about?!

Posted by: Ralph Spurrier (---.demon.co.uk)
Date: November 04, 2004 09:48AM

My understanding is that there will be a one year break from TN and that Jasper's next book (already written BEFORE the TN series) will be based on the Nursery Rhyme: Humpty Dumpty. How did he fall off the wall? Was he pushed etc. etc.? But no firm news yet.....

Date: November 04, 2004 09:55AM

Tasha:

Ok
Yup
Yup
You just did, didn't you?
Next year probably, and how the hell would I know, it's not been fully written yet.

Ok samuel Pepys fiasco is the fifth TN book, but it's really TN3.5 (possibly TNpi or TNroot11) in terms of chronological order. I think Nursery Crimes, (working title, Off the Wall was considered as well) is out summer next year, but I reserve the right to be talking gibberish. It may be altered to fit into the great library setting. It may run off a completely different world diegesis. Our only real way to find out is to sit around impatiently mumbling "isitoutyetisitoutyetisitoutyetisitoutyetisitoutyet"

[i] Updated to spell "diegesis" correctly

Post Edited (11-04-04 10:57)

-------

Posted by: A. Salieri (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 04, 2004 09:16PM

I say HD was pushed, but by whom and if it was murder (and for what motive?) we have no conclusive evidence as of yet.

Best Regards,
~Antonio Salieri~
Jurisfiction Dept No, 5732-52389057
Investigation of Literary Homicide and Manslaughter
Head of Department

Date: November 05, 2004 09:15AM

That's why there'll be a book, recording the investigation then isn't it?

-------

Posted by: Jodie (---.lancs.ac.uk)
Date: April 10, 2005 05:37PM

Nursery Crimes is part of the Humpty Dumpty thing, right? I'm not impressed with this lack of TN thing. I love her! I'm so emotionally invested in her world it's quite scary!!

MORE, DAMNIT!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.