New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Granny Next's demise
Posted by: Dr Richard Illing (80.41.6.---)
Date: August 05, 2004 03:57PM

Has anyone noticed that Granny Next should already be long departed because in LIAGB chapter 11 she states that she has already ready the entire corpus of Edmund Spencer's work including the Faerie Queen!

Re: Granny Next's demise
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.gsi.gov.uk)
Date: August 05, 2004 04:13PM

It's a long time since I read LIAGB. In which 'reality' is chapter 11 - the one with Landen or the one without? If it is the Landenless one, that could explain it.

Perhaps anyway we whould beware of being too linear about Granny Next's reading of the 10 most boring classics

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2004 04:22PM

Especially if her son is in the Chronoguard.

Posted by: Dr Richard Illing (80.41.6.---)
Date: August 05, 2004 06:04PM

I think you have the answer - Landen has recently been eradicated!

Posted by: dave (---.plus.com)
Date: August 05, 2004 10:43PM

um, can we change the subject line of this post? I know this forum is for people who've read SR, but people will undoubtably wander in and it could cause upset as it's a bit of a spoiler...

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: August 06, 2004 02:16PM

Or you could just read faster Dave ;-)

In response to the original question, doesn't Jasper allude to the whole paradox. Since the younger Thursday is reading to her older self, she's obviously already read it. As Thursday's dad would say "Don't worry about it SweetPea ?"

Post Edited (08-06-04 16:27)

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: August 06, 2004 02:36PM

That's not my point. Someone new to the whole forum thing could easily wander in here and see the title of this thread. It's a spoiler and should be treated as such.

Posted by: Crystal (---.lsanca1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2004 02:05AM

The way I see it is, she could very well have read the whole thing ... and in fact ... said so herself, with the exception of the last paragraph. Which she had reserved for AFTER she'd helped Young Thursday out as much as she possible.

Ah I was so sad when I heard inklings of Granny's demise before I read it, I was just that much sadder when I realized who she really was. Somewhere in my subconscious I had registered that she had striking similarities to Thursday, but had just fluffed them off. So finding out she was in fact Thursday was a revealment for me. ;)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.europa.bt.com)
Date: August 25, 2004 04:59PM

Don't rule out Granny Next turning up again in TN5 (or 6 or 7 etc) after all Death appears to be a markedly less permanent condition in the Nextian universe then in our own!

After all Colonel Next died horribly in Angel Delight not that long ago and turned up at Thursday's Mum's the next chapter for his "conjugals" - and the whole motorway service station thing means it's really infinitely delayable provided you can persuade Spike to drive up and down the M4 on a semi-permanent basis (although this will be tougher now he's got to find a reliable childminder!).

...and is Aornis dead or just shopping?

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2004 05:08PM

Post Edited (08-25-04 18:16)

Posted by: Dexter Craven (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: October 01, 2004 02:43PM

Yeah, really should change the subject line, dead give away.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.