New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Rotten publisher?
Posted by: Anonymous User (198.215.16.---)
Date: August 11, 2004 04:55PM

Did anyone else get a defective copy of Something Rotten? Mine was missing 3 chapters and had some other chapters repeated. I would understand if it were some small press publishing it, but you don't expect something like this from a reputable one.They could have at least had a disclaimer about the problem at the beginning of the book.

Re: Rotten publisher?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2004 07:21PM

is this the US or UK copy?

Posted by: dave (---.plus.com)
Date: August 11, 2004 10:46PM

chapter 13 is missing, in all Jasper's books. But I'm guessing that yours is in a worse state than that.

take it back, mistakes can happen.

Posted by: Anonymous User (217.204.56.---)
Date: August 12, 2004 01:22PM

Not mistakes surely...this is a classic example of a fiction infraction.

Posted by: Anonymous User (198.215.16.---)
Date: August 13, 2004 08:01PM

It's a U.S. copy, and I can't take it back because it's not my copy, it's the library's.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2004 11:49PM

yikes! Well, I would definitely tell the library...chances are they can get a new copy (or two!) from the publisher.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.europa.bt.com)
Date: August 25, 2004 12:38PM

I'm pretty impressed that a US library even had a copy! (albeit a bootleg beta trial version V0.8 obviously smuggled in from the PR of Wales!)
My local (British) library seem to have a buying policy of "wait for the paperback!"

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.geauga.lib.oh.us)
Date: August 25, 2004 08:55PM

Pester your local library. :) I work at one and am currently on a campaign to get everyone here to read these books. We do have a few copies in the system, which makes it a bit easier. Anyway, if enough patrons request something, they'll usually look into buying a copy or two.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 25, 2004 09:43PM

"My local (British) library seem to have a buying policy of "wait for the paperback!"

I'm sure that UK libraries have to wait for 6 months or something stupid until they can first lend a book, in order to keep sales up.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.va-ashburn0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: August 26, 2004 09:59PM

I wonder if it actually does keep sales up... I heard of Fforde at a library conference, but ended up buying the books anyway because...well there are just some books I have to own. :) I think a lot of people sort of test things out at the library and then buy them if they like them enough. I would think that more exposure would be good, even if it does allow free access for some.

Posted by: annie.leader-biblio (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: August 27, 2004 08:24PM

I agree with that raelanese.

I often 'test read' an author at the library and if I like his/her work go out and buy some - often including the book I have read.

=====================================================
Some days I see the point

Posted by: Dorimander (69.16.84.---)
Date: September 15, 2004 12:40AM

When books become available in libraries depends on their financial state.
My own library has all of the books so far. For _Something Rotten_, all 10 volumes are checked out and there are 20 people waiting in reserve.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.