New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: The Guide to Something Rotten
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 19, 2004 08:09PM

And can everyone else drop the pedanticism too? You're starting to make yoursself all look very foolish.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: boffin (---.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: August 19, 2004 10:56PM

Oh. Oh dear, oh dear, etc. But foolish is what we do best! I could have told you [PSD] about the guns, but non gunfreaks [I firmly include myself in this category, which, of course, is WHY I could have told you all that stuff] do tend to glaze over quite quickly, or go into a catatonic state in self defence. So I didn't. Aren't I the nice one all of a sudden? I think I will just go and lie down in the dark for a while till it wears off. I'm sure I'll be back to nasty in no time at all, at all, so I will.

Posted by: dave (213.249.230.---)
Date: August 20, 2004 10:04AM

pedanticism is what fforumites do best!

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: August 20, 2004 10:22AM

I think you'll find it's pedantry that fforumites do best.

Although pedanticism may be a religion or belief that worships pedantry or pedants.

"All Hail PSD! He is lord of all pedants!"

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Date: August 20, 2004 10:24AM

ah, pedantry is what we do second best. All Hail the King, etc etc.

pantries feature highly too, as they often contain cakes and biscuits.

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: August 20, 2004 10:24AM

Or pedantry as we would say in English ;-)

(Sorry Dave. You set 'em up. I'll come and finish 'em off...)

Date: August 20, 2004 10:32AM

You're on about cakes again, aren't you rob?

:-)

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: August 20, 2004 11:31AM

Ooh. Cakes. Yes please :-) Although choccie biccies are fine too...

Date: August 20, 2004 12:26PM

*ticks off list*

Yup, another thread taken over by food references.

*grin*

Posted by: Anonymous User (195.10.15.---)
Date: August 20, 2004 12:31PM

"480 ha’pennies made up a pound, for some unfathomable reason"

Quite fathomable.

2 ha'pennies in a penny.
12 pennies in a shilling.
20 shillings in a pound.

Do the maths.

Posted by: Simon (---.westsussex.gov.uk)
Date: August 20, 2004 01:53PM

PSD _
If you didn't want to go into any more detail than you've just said you'd prefer then maybe you shouldn't have raised those other points (interchangeability of ammo between some Winchesters & some Colts, and alleged "semi-automatic" nature of Winchesters) in the first place...

"Customers are advised that this product may
contain meat from re-engineered species."

Post Edited (08-20-04 19:18)

Posted by: annie.leader-biblio (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: August 20, 2004 11:19PM

OK Ben you asked for this (but feel free to ignore it anyway)

The Tailor of Gloucester (Beatrix Potter 1903)

Old, poor but honest tailor (from Gloucester) cuts out finest silk and taffeta etc to make waistcoat for Mayor. Has everything ready except skein of 'cherry twist' silk for buttonholes. Leaves it ready for making up and goes home.

Cat, Simpkin spends his days at home keeping house for said tailor. Catches mice and imprisons them under teacups (for supper, later). Tailor sends Simpkin out for provisions including 'twist' and in his absence frees the mice.

He then retires to bed where he remains for the next two (three?) days, ill. Simpkin, peeved at missing out on his supper of mice hides the twist in a teapot. Tailor frets over inability to make waistcoat and missing twist.

Mice escape to tailor's shop where they make up the waistcoat. Simpkin, seeing this, is filled with remorse and brings out the twist.

Tailor gets up Christmas morning, very worried about failure to supply waistcoat to Mayor and too ill and feeble to do much. Finds waistcoat completed except for last buttonhole, (much exclamation over tiny, neat, delicate embroidery etc) which he then completes and is able to deliver the Mayor his Christmas waistcoat marking a change in his fortunes, becoming fat and prosperous.

Happy ever after.

There's lots of rhymes and talking animals in too.

According to my daughter's B Potter Compendium it was based on a true story in which said tailor's two assistants completed the work. Mrs Heelis apparently preferred the whimsical version and it is said to be her personal favourite.

One of her longer stories and certainly I used to find it a pain to read aloud.

=====================================================
Some days I see the point

Date: August 21, 2004 07:33PM

Cheers for that :-)

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.tnt1.zur4.che.da.uu.net)
Date: August 21, 2004 08:08PM

I finished the book today (sorry, got it late...), and as I was reading it 2 things came up straight into my mind, that you haven't mentioned Ben.

I didn't do any research on them, so here's just the info:

p. 33 - Sister Bettina: the first time she's mentioned (and more times later), she's referred to as a 'pre-cog'. If you have seen 'Minority report' (the movie with Tom Cruise) or read it (the SF story by Philip K. Dick) pre-cogs are special people who see into the future, before things actually happen. They're kept in a special substance pool and their thoughts tapped into, as a futuristic dvd...

(can't remember page) - Rosencrantz and Guildenstein - about their 'going off on their on', I remember an independent movie called 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstein are dead'. I wanted to see it, but never did. I suppose I could just go into IIDB to find out about it, but sorry, I'm now in a sort of rush...

Other than these additions, GREAT WORK!

Post Edited (08-22-04 11:04)

Posted by: violentViolet (---.arcor-ip.net)
Date: August 21, 2004 08:46PM

Scarlet Bea - I suspect that this independent movie is based on Stoppard's play by the same name

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colourless green ideas sleep furiously.

(N. Chomsky 1957)

Date: August 21, 2004 09:40PM

From my notes...

"Precog

Coined by Phillip K Dick, a precog is one who can see into the future (see Minority Report for more on this)"

"Rosencrantz and Guildenstern

Good God! We're out of our depths here! Tom Stoppard wrote this pair their own existentialist play, in which they are onstage when not onstage in Hamlet, if you follow. Ophelia will no doubt demand a role in it… Perhaps the best quote from the play is “Audiences know what they expect and that is all they are prepared to believe in”."

as already noted, I tend to avoid referencing film versions of other works ;-)

PSD

==========

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.tnt1.zur4.che.da.uu.net)
Date: August 22, 2004 10:07AM

ARGH I missed it!!!!

Sorry sorry sorry will you ever EVER forgive me for belittling your magnificent work?

(my only excuse was that it was late and I was tired and didn't read properly....)

Posted by: delacuesta (---.adsl.xs4all.nl)
Date: August 22, 2004 05:40PM

There is something in de name Redmond van de Poste that keeps intriguing me, as some sort of hidden layer (notwithstanding the identification earlier in this topic). Leaving the Dutch connection aside (apart from "van de" as a common possessive), I took up the dictionary on the kind request of PSD, and found that "post" not only has to do with postmen, the military or a position, but also can act as a door-post or gate-post. Now "gate" and "post" clearly refer to distinct items, but in some contexts the words may be used as near-synonyms; at least in Dutch they do. E.g. when you walk through a gate, you walk through its post, not through the gate itself, don't you. So we've got Redmond (WA, I'll bet), and we've got Van de Poste --> Gate's, together making up a nice Golianthesque conspiracy theory. Well, anyway, it itches to me.

*---

Date: August 22, 2004 06:45PM

"will you ever EVER forgive me for belittling your magnificent work?"

No. Send me lots of beer to make up for it... ;-)

PSD

==========

Posted by: SingingHels (62.138.169.---)
Date: August 23, 2004 06:22AM

Re. Roger Kapok

Just starting to re-read and noticed the following pun...(p200 of my trade paperback, dunno if it's the same as anyone else's)
" 'Kapok, for God's sake!' yelled Biffo. 'The Whackers will knock the stuffing out of the team if you're not here to lead us!' "

Dur-dun-chhhhhhh.

Oh, and Wilson and Lonsdale (p237) - both sporting goods manufacturers. Or is that too obvious??

Post Edited (08-23-04 12:38)

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.