New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: The Guide to Something Rotten
Posted by: ScarletBea (195.212.119.---)
Date: August 23, 2004 06:59AM

PSD wrote:

> No. Send me lots of beer to make up for it... ;-)

I'm in Switzerland, not in Belgium ;)
(don't ask for chocolate, I haven't seen proper swiss chocolate yet....)

But you can come by and stay, when I have my flat, lots of sports for you to do, the walking and trekking kind you like hehe

:D

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 23, 2004 07:25PM

Hmm, might take you up on that (if I decide alpine climbing might be my bag of avalanches).

Do lonsdale actually make sporting goods, or is it just a belt? Googling failed to clarify.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: boffin (---.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: August 23, 2004 08:02PM

Well, as I understand it, [This is the standard disclaimer bit. There are those who would say that if I understand something, then it is likely to utterly confuse, bewilder, and, very probably later on, totally outrage just about everybody else.] the belt is a boxing prize. It is called, somewhat unimaginatively perhaps, the Lonsdale belt after a previous Lord Lonsdale, who paid for it and put it up as said prize for a boxing match. More than that, I cannot remember.

Posted by: a librarian dammit (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2004 06:06AM

...incredible magnum opus.

and I'm pleased to say that finally by this fourth book I was actually looking for this stuff. And I got quite a bit of it even if I do live in the colonies.

But...and I'm sure to be flogged from a distance for this...are you all independently wealthy literati who can, um, spend so much time detecting...because you have someone else cleaning the kitchen and messing with the laundry? If so, I'm envious.

KMH

"Are you crazy? I said sing it, not singe it, dammit!"

Posted by: SingingHels (62.138.169.---)
Date: August 24, 2004 06:10AM

Definitely sporting goods; see [www.lonsdale.com] I had a lovely racing green Lonsdale bowling bag at college to carry all the stupidly heavy history books around in.

Posted by: Anne (193.129.253.---)
Date: August 24, 2004 12:21PM

I may be jumping to non-existent conclusions, but I was reminded of the Asterix and Obelix books with the use of different fonts to distinguish one (translated) language from another.

Excellent guide PSD.

Date: August 24, 2004 06:25PM

"But...and I'm sure to be flogged from a distance for this...are you all independently wealthy literati who can, um, spend so much time detecting...because you have someone else cleaning the kitchen and messing with the laundry? If so, I'm envious."

Nope, I'm just an idiot who appreciates the chance to have something that really forces me to sit down and write. It's taken me about 48 hours of work so far, so it's not too bad - I've got the method sorted out now. As for money, I'm totally broke.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: boffin (---.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: August 25, 2004 10:17PM

> To librarian.
<No, I am not independently weathy. [Wish wish!]
>But I do not work for a living, and so have time to do
>what I want.
>As for "cleaning the kitchen and messing with the
>laundry", what are these? I can find no reference in my
>data-banks to these topics.

Date: August 25, 2004 11:31PM

Ah, c'mon - surely you know how to mess (and 'laundry' is a dirty word)

PSD

==========

Posted by: Loopy Lou (---.109.client.e-access.com.au)
Date: August 26, 2004 09:33AM

Just out of interest PSD, at the start you mentioned something about the Kaine publishing stamp. Was the reader who figured it out you by any chance?

=)

Yes.... Uh, no.... Actually......I don't know.... Um, hang on.... What was the question again?

Date: August 26, 2004 06:14PM

I have no idea about anything I have ever done or not done. Every so often people share facts of my life with me that fail to correspond to my memory, but that's no reason to assume the more amusing of them didn't happen. In short, I have no diea if it was me or not, and don't particularly worry about it.

PSD

==========

Posted by: mortal wombat (---.cmbg.cable.ntl.com)
Date: August 27, 2004 06:50PM

St Zvlkx - reminiscent of the magic word xyzzy from the Colossal Cave Adventure, one of the first ever computer games.

Barbara Cartland: Not much to add, except that the best description I have ever read of Dame Cartland's eye make-up was that it was like a couple of crows which had flown into a cliff.

Norfolk Mountain Rescue Society - don't know about them, but we members of the Fenland Mountain Rescue society remain ever poised to assist those who fall to the crippling altitude sickness that so often strikes at 20 feet above sea level. So far we have been called out almost once, when we heard on the radio that a mountain climber had got into difficulties in Fenland. Unfortunately it later emerged that the climber was actually in Finland.

The following site is the official Fenland tourist information site. Note the complete and utter lack of any pictures of the landscape.
[www.fenland.gov.uk]

Posted by: A. Salieri (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 27, 2004 09:19PM

Lake Wobegon Days takes place in Minnesota (not WI) and it is worth mentioning that Mozart died at 35 while writing a mass for the dead (hence "such people as.....are taken fairly young.) Possible bloophole (or maybe I'm just thinking too literally) Mother Teresa was still alive in 1987, when Colonel Next mentions her as "dead fairly young."

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: August 27, 2004 09:34PM

Perhaps she didn't live nearly as long in the Nextian version of history. At any rate, that was how I read it.

Posted by: Harrassed Hawk (---.thls.bbc.co.uk)
Date: August 31, 2004 04:49PM

Right, pedantry for the guide is now closed - the fullt hing will now be edited and improved.

After a suitable period of being ignored, of course...

Posted by: dante (---.thls.bbc.co.uk)
Date: August 31, 2004 06:05PM

What about pedantry for that post?

..nah, better not.

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: MissPrint (---.range81-154.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 01, 2004 12:21AM

Oh, no! am I too late to metion Tim O'Fathens being Timon of Athens. Or did you think that was far to obvious to mention. I thought it was bleeding obvious, but as everyone else has been pointing out the bleeding obvious, I thought I would do it to.

And I'm sure the thylacine got a mention in the previous guide.

I'll help you proof read if you like, to make up for me being a pain in the ass.

Posted by: Barometer Droppings (---.thls.bbc.co.uk)
Date: September 01, 2004 11:14AM

It's already in there, Missp. Law of diminishing returns and all that.

Meanwhile the whole of Wood Norton is playing silly buggers outside, but as I'm only a temp I remain inside in a windowless garret. This seems deeply, deeply unfair. You never know how diferent people are going to treat you as a temp, these ones seem particularly silly...

Posted by: Ralph Spurrier (---.demon.co.uk)
Date: September 02, 2004 12:38PM

p345: The Teams:

Ralph "The Book" Spurrier, forward striker.

That's me. I'm a bookseller in Sussex (Post Mortem Books) and have been packing and shipping Jasper's hardbacks in vast numbers each year since "Eyre Affair". I didn't know of my literary fame until I met Jasper this year, for the first time ever, at the Bristol signing. I queued up with a copy and when Jasper asked me who I should like it dedicated to I gave him my name. He promptly opened up p345....
He says, and he may well be right, that I have sold more UK hardbacks than any other bookseller. Hence the glory of being in the pages...
You can find me on Jasper's Buy The Book page or at
www.postmortembooks.com

Date: September 02, 2004 11:03PM

Bugger - you decide to be really strict, and then some purveyor of dead trees comes and outs himself as a member of the team, forcing you to ignore your rules entirely.

Well done, sir, a veritable something indeed. And thanks for saving me a few more hours of Googling. yuou wouldn't happen to be everyone else too, would you? Please?

PSD

==========

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.