New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: The Guide to Something Rotten
Posted by: tieff (---.246.172.129.tisdip.tiscali.de)
Date: September 18, 2004 01:35PM

Re Handley Paige
to be pedantic it should be Handley Page.
The spelling is possibly influenced by "Paige Turner" in TN1

Re Pascoe
Perhaps from the Reginald Hill detective books / Tv series "Dalziel and Pascoe"?

re. Fawsten Gayle
In TN1 the senior commander of SpecOps in London was a Divisional Commander Gale - perhaps another vague memory that influenced Jasper?

Posted by: Nicky (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: September 18, 2004 11:19PM

Actually, not Nicky, it's dibs, but I can't be arsed to log out.

During one of the signings I was at Jasper said that St Zvlkx was named specifically to be unpronouncable, in order to wind up the talking book people. This kind of backfired when they called him up to ask how to pronounce it.

Van de Poste. Reference to Laurens Van Der Post, the philosopher and explorer, or just a postal pun? My money's on the latter.

Post Edited (09-19-04 00:20)

Posted by: xshinex (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: September 23, 2004 06:18PM

excellent work! it took me about an hour to read it all, but it was sure as hell fun!

id like to add that Alan Quartermain was also a character in the movie LXG :p

Posted by: George Hesselberg (---.216-170.unk.tds.net)
Date: September 23, 2004 09:26PM

P. 8. Cathouse.
Because that is where the pussy is.
G

Posted by: foureyes (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: September 24, 2004 02:54AM

Please help me, for I am a virgin to this forum. Firstly, I am impressed and, well, very intimidated by the amazing amount of research you all have done. Here's my problem: I just want to access the special features but I must have the wrong code word. I have the American version of the book, and I think it should be ' Faerie Queen'. This does not work. HELP!

Also, has anyone noticed the discrepancy in the Superhoop match? In the last book Thursday is in Granny Next's Memory seeing the Superhoop, the 'thrals' are playing, and for the other team no less.

But any help with the code word would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: October 05, 2004 10:12PM

I believe there's a whole thread on the password further down in this Fforum. It boils down to the fact that the US edition is missing the 'e' on the end of the title which is present in the original book, and in the UK edition.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.inter.net.il)
Date: October 10, 2004 04:58PM

First I would like to note that this has no changes to the guide itself (I wouldn't dare), simply commentary on what people have said about it.
Yay! Yay! Finally, we can end the gun info posts! (okay, so this was relevant a loooong time ago, but I felt that my elation needed to be into words... and not teh kind of words i used while reading TN4 - which was shout out loud at the characters in the middle of a crowded train) Sorry, I was just getting ready to shoot myself with a winchester by now (except that I dont actually know how to find one because I skipped all the details in the almost all the posts). Sorry, Simon. But if there's ever case of TMI, this is it. And PSD, you've done an awesome job so far and, hey, we wouldnt like the guide half as much without all of your terribly amusing complaints, sarcasm and general tongue-in-cheek.

"All Hail PSD! He is lord of all pedants!"
Lord of the Pendants? It sounds like a fantasy novel destined to stay in the well for a good long time! (Oh no! The evil Sauron wove the one pendant on his loom of doom and it has somehow fallen into the hands of a Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins. But this was after Gollum used it for his loincloth, so they chucked the whole idea and went to go forge a ring. Oh dear, I'd better stop now)

As for money, I'm totally broke.
Out of sheer curiousity, if any of us had high level, important jobs, would we be spending our lives on the Fforum? Or, since I've been a wimp for a long time (and judging by the contents of this post, will soon go back to being one) reading the Fforum, and the books, and the books again, and lending them out and going through withdrawal (true story, my friend grabbed LIAGB from my hands and i actually jumped on her and took it forcefully back). But back to my original topic, which was who has the money to ship large amounts of alcohol to PSD?

And, just to be annoying about Faerie Queene, you need a "The" at the beginning. Also, in the US version, the spelling changes from TN3 (Fairie
Queene) to TN4 (Faerie Queen). Makes you wonder what those people at penguin are up to (probably pissed off about becoming lunch for John Henry Goliath V).

Okay, the limit as to how many parentheses (However the hell you spell that... oh bugger. Another one) I am willing to put in this post has been reached (well, topped by one... two) so I had better shut up.
Great job to all who involved themselves in the making of the guide and one last shoutout to PSD who is my new hero now that Jon has, erm, retired.

Posted by: Carlos (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 15, 2004 07:22PM

Can you guys E-mail me lots of rotton pictures of any kind so I can see what the world is really about. Only if it is free,
ThankYou

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 06, 2004 02:50AM

For those who care...

After a delay only normally seen on multi-billion pount government contracts, the guide to SR has now been locked off and sent to Mr Ff to be added somewhere more 'official'.

Thanks to everyone who helped or added comments, and my apologies for being so damned slow about finishing these things. The final version hasn't changed too much, I've edited the big errors, extended some definitions, and refined some of the jokes for international appeal. Sooner or later somebody will have to do a guide to the guide, as a couple of the jokes are in-jokes for my own amusement and you're unlikely to get them...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: PJB (---.esu10.k12.ne.us)
Date: January 06, 2005 07:58PM

I've just finished reading book 4, and am planning on rereading the whole series right away, to pick up on all these little things I missed the first time through. My question for you is: What's up with book 4, chapter 13 - Milton? Where is it? And did I miss something really obvious?

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: January 07, 2005 03:17AM

The missing Chapter 13 is one of the most-discussed issues on the fforum. You might want to look for Chapter 13 in books 1, 2, and 3 as well. But don't worry. I didn't even figure it out after multiple re-readings of all four books, until someone mentioned it here.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 07, 2005 07:29PM

[tinyurl.com]

Take your pick. If I could unravel the code, then I'd have bragged about it by now.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: james (---.w83-192.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: February 07, 2005 03:35PM

salu chantal

STAR WARS
Posted by: syr3 (---.tbcn.telia.com)
Date: June 11, 2005 07:32PM

STAR WARS

Posted by: MartinB (---.is.co.za)
Date: June 14, 2005 07:49PM

re: Cousin Eddie. Three Words: Iron Maiden's Mascot.

No? Didn't think so....

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.