New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Friday's name
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.europa.bt.com)
Date: August 24, 2004 12:17PM

Thursday's son is called Friday - some logic there but Friday Parke-Laine really doesn't do it for me and given he was born while Landen was still eradicated Thursday (lovable old romantic that she is!) would have been BOUND to call him Landen!

...or even Anton!

Even if the lad takes a triple barrelled "Friday Next-Parke-Laine" it still doesn't gel for me.

Landen's parents are Bildon and Houson (if my memory isn't playing tricks) - so Otelsen really is the best I can come up with!

Thoughts?

Re: Friday's name
Posted by: Big John (195.166.41.---)
Date: August 24, 2004 04:30PM

Renton?

-----------------------------------------------
"Whisky-wa-wa," I breathed - she was dressed as Biffo the Bear.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2004 10:52PM

I don't think Thursday would have been tempted to call the baby Landen at all. She was too intent on getting Landen back. And I think she knew she just had to bide her time to do it. Afterall, if her father taught her one thing, it's that time is fluid, so she could probably stand to be a little more patient about it than most people.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.jelke.rpslmc.edu)
Date: August 25, 2004 06:09AM

I agree with you about his name and about Thurdsday's mentality. I like Friday's name. If she gets Landen back and they have a girl, her name will probably be Saturday. I love it!!

Posted by: Andrea (---.range81-152.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 25, 2004 06:48AM

umm you haven't read this book yet have you? I nearly told you about something in it that answers this

---
Sylvester says.... *plock*

actually he says peep, cheep, chirrup, squalk,muttermuttergrumblegrumble, oh and now he falls off his pirch whish is followed by a sheepish peek round to see if anyone was looking and a quick scramble back up

Date: August 25, 2004 09:10AM

Andrea
Actually I have read (right to the end - honest!) it but only the once so far and perhaps not as forensically as I should have before coming on this Fforum!
Gissa clue then!

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: August 25, 2004 09:29AM

Probably referring to Chebrew's (WTTFWYLSTCA) line about getting Landen back, rather than your comment pikeman (WTTFWYLSTCA). Which might imply not having read TN4 yet

(WTTFWYLSTCA)= Welcom to the fform, would you like some, tea, cakes, or alcohol

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Date: August 25, 2004 10:22AM

Thanks Andy - but I'll just have some toast if that's okay (with toasted cheese on top if that's not prohibitively expensive!).

Date: August 25, 2004 10:34AM

it talks at the end about her daughter and grand children and great grandchild and says her daughter's name...(just checks to be sure).... Tuesday

on the next to last page

---

actually he says peep, cheep, chirrup, squalk,muttermuttergrumblegrumble, oh and now he falls off his pirch whish is followed by a sheepish peek round to see if anyone was looking and a quick scramble back up

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 25, 2004 07:23PM

Thanks for the invite. A spot of tea... and alcohol thanks. I just started Something Rotten pg. 68. I should have known to hold my 2 cents until I've finished. : )

Date: August 25, 2004 07:29PM

oops sorry to add a spoiler, not too bad a one though

---

Posted by: T.Shandy (---.212.114.236.140.NEFkom.net)
Date: August 25, 2004 08:40PM

...maybe the choice of names depends on the day of Stevenson's Robinson's Landen(ing). Think it was a thursday, the day before he met friday.

...beg the reader`s pardon for my awful grammar...anyway, bookworms might be happy

Posted by: Loopy Lou (---.108.client.e-access.com.au)
Date: September 25, 2004 07:11AM

And if you remember Thursday's mum is called Wednesday, and so it would have been really cute if Thursday's 1st grandchild was called Saturday, Plus I think Thursday's Grandmother was called Tuesday.......

They almost had a procession of the days of the week. Could have happened - we might have been sideslipped!

=)

Yes.... Uh, no.... Actually......I don't know.... Um, hang on.... What was the question again?

Posted by: A. Salieri (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 26, 2004 12:01AM

Well, since there is family involvement in the ChronoGuard.....
Best Regards,
~Antonio Salieri~

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 29, 2004 08:54AM

And they still have plenty of Seasons and Months left.

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.