New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
For Fun - What if they made a movie
Posted by: Dawn (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 17, 2004 04:24AM

Geoffrey Rush has already been mentioned as a person to play in a movie version.

Let cast our own movie -

I personally think rachel weiss would be perfect for thursday, maybe Colin Firth for Landon or gabriel byrne, emma thompson as ms. haversham and jim broadbent has colonel bradshaw or possibly TN's dad (older version), maybe nicole kidman as lola vavoom, hee hee

Re: For Fun - What if they made a movie
Posted by: boffin (---.friaco.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: September 18, 2004 12:21PM

Sounding pretty good so far.
Wecome.
The ale and sprout-cake trolley will probably be along shortly.
Tea will almost certainly be available as an alternative to ale; and other cake, etc. [Not sprout!]

Posted by: carolyn (---.dsl.sndg02.pacbell.net)
Date: September 24, 2004 09:15AM

haven't got a thursday yet, but daddy next can only be played by john cleese. i keep seeing him with a big stopwatch in his hand, like the white rabbit.

or maybe he could play the white rabbit, who will surely turn up soon.

Posted by: Loopy Lou (---.108.client.e-access.com.au)
Date: September 25, 2004 07:00AM

NIcole Kidman as Lola Vavoom would be very interesting, plus it adds an international feel to it. The only thing is that you don't see the real Lola Vavoom or are you talking about bookworld Lola?

=)

Yes.... Uh, no.... Actually......I don't know.... Um, hang on.... What was the question again?

Posted by: Dexter Craven (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: October 01, 2004 02:53PM

I think all the actors should be monkeys in people suits.

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 02, 2004 06:26AM

How about monkeys with peoples' lips superimposed on their faces?

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Posted by: Dexter Craven (144.139.221.---)
Date: October 04, 2004 02:48PM

Cool

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.MS-TechEd.54.121.inter.net.il)
Date: October 16, 2004 05:29PM

Colin Firth is NOT LANDEN! Colin Firth, though I love him dearly, can act one role and that role is that of socially incompetant male protagonist with no sense of humor. I kinda see Ralph Finnes (however his name is spelled) as Landen. And Alan Rickman as teh voice for the cheshire cat. And Hugh Grant as Yorrick Kaine (hmm, maybe that would explain his acting abilities - Grant is a C level Generic)

Posted by: boffin (---.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: October 17, 2004 01:16AM

I thought the voice of the-Cat-formerly-known-as-Cheshire should be Stephen Fry?
Then Alan Rickman could be Hades, you see?

Date: October 17, 2004 06:14PM

Hmm, interesting. I like the thought of Rickman as Hades. Good idea. And Mrs. Next as Angela Landsbury.

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: October 18, 2004 10:21AM

>Colin Firth, though I love him dearly, can act one role and that role is that of socially incompetant male protagonist with no sense of humor.

Ah! That'd be Bowden, then.

Hugh Grant, I agree, as Yorrick.

What do people say to Simon Pegg as Millon? I can see him as the geeky stalker type.

I can't help thinking Pamela Anderson as Lola.

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Date: October 18, 2004 09:06PM

Wow, you're totally right about Colin Firth. Except that leaves us with the issue of why she doesnt marry bowden because, after all, if he looks like Colin Firth, I would marry him!
Although that may be because I am horribly superficial about movie men. Landen had better be really good looking then!

Posted by: Claire Andrews (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 20, 2004 02:48AM

Good suggestions above esp John Cleese. Emma Thompson would be great as Miss Haversham although I presume the makeup department would have to go overtime to make her look old enough. No objections to the other choices here but I vote for Helen Baxendale as Thursday. June Whitfield for Granny Next? (might be a bit obvious though). There are so many good roles though (in all the books not just TN4) so the cast list is going to have to be pretty long. [BTW Jasper/ Webguru maybe we could have a section where people nominate choices for actors to do the roles?]

Posted by: Anonymous User (210.11.195.---)
Date: December 18, 2004 05:43AM

the casting's all well and good but, think about the difficulties in bringing it to the screen. i guess footnotes aren't that difficult bu "Olde English" and "currier new" speech....unless they do something dreadful as having speech bubbles.....

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2004 01:10PM

Hang on now. Speech bubbles is an interesting idea. Well, not the speech bubbles per se. But, they could make it sort of a mix between a talking and silent movie. Any movie that was made would defintely have to be different, and that's one way to do it.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: December 19, 2004 01:07AM

Now that's a good idea. I mean, for it to be a good movie they'd have to throw in as many movie styles as possible, as the books use so many different literary styles. So it would be appropriate to have a few silent-movie moments when the characters are talking in Olde English or Courier Bold, where you see the characters' mouths moving and then the text is displayed on the screen.

Date: December 19, 2004 01:35AM

Of course, you realize that the different font types wouldn;t even factor in to the first movie, unless they smush all three together.

Posted by: Lord Spode (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: December 19, 2004 03:28PM

This is something I thought about a lot after reading all the novels. My cast list would be:
Thursday: Kate Winslet/Emma Thompson
Thursday's Father: John Cleese
Acheron: Richard E. Grant
Landen: Jeremy Northam
Kaine: Alan Rickman
Jack Schitt: Steve Buscemi
Brikk-Schitt-Hawse: Guy Pearce
To direct: Me of course/Tim Burton.

Date: December 19, 2004 03:59PM

I think I'd almost rather have it made of unknown people. That way they're worried about making the movie, and not their egos.

Post Edited (12-19-04 17:13)

Posted by: Lord Spode (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: December 20, 2004 06:25PM

On the other hand, a big-budget film like this would need star names to attract punters and return investments.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.