New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: For Fun - What if they made a movie
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 07:50AM

Nah, no big-budget and fancy special effects. I think that would ruin it. Unknowns, people who really love the books and are really dedicated to making a good movie of them, by scraping together what they can find or make on a low budget. That would force them to find creative and new solutions, and to deviate from the books when appropriate while still remaining true to their spirit.

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2004 11:13AM

An independent movie will work. That way, Jasper will have complete control, and we'll actually get a good movie instead of a crap one.

Posted by: Lord Spode (---.dsl.pipex.com)
Date: December 21, 2004 08:26PM

The sad thing is, this sort of film would need studio money to get made. Think about it - huge sets, firearms, location shots, some CG (for the prose portal etc) I too would rather see an independent, low-budget film, made out of love of the novels. But the movie business doesn't work like that. To realise Fford's world, many millions of dollars would be needed. The studios are the only way of getting this sort of investment, and hence they would have ultimate say over what happens, most likely turning it into a big summer movie. If it were to be produced cheaply, I see a stage play as the only option.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: December 25, 2004 06:43AM

Normally I would love a stage play, as I adore live theater, but in this case I don't think it would work as well as a movie would, simply because there is so much detail in the books, little jokes and references that you don't catch by reading it just once. In a movie or play, I think they would need to have visual references and details in addition, and those don't work so well in a stage show because you don't have enough time to catch them. I find it easier to take in details and subtleties in movies, especially since there's no danger of sitting too far back to see clearly.

Posted by: Stin (199.67.138.---)
Date: December 29, 2004 01:53PM

Hello all!

The only two I could peg would be Dame Maggie Smith as Mrs. Havisham and Clive Owen as Landen. (And the last is a bit biased as I just love him.)

Though I like the idea as John Cleese as Thursday's father.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm a god... I'm not THE God... I don't think..."

Posted by: Haylo (---.range81-158.btcentralplus.com)
Date: January 02, 2005 09:44PM

I love Jeremy Northam for Landen, and also for the next bond, but the Broccoli's don't seem to be returning my calls..

What about subtitles for the footnotes and St Zvlkx's speech? A seriously underrated art form that needs a new angle...

Going to the whole studio v independent argument, I agree with Lord Spode (hmmmm, not a sentence I type every day), studio money needs to be done for the effects, and their involvement doesn't neccessarily mean the death of the beloved original ,as seen in the new phantom of the opera movie. But I don't think there should be too many big name actors. Jeremy Northam's o.k as he's not high profile, but Maggie Smith, John Cleese etc would mean too much publicity about the actors, and not enough focus on the film. So obviously I should play Thursday... :o D

I'm available whenever I'm needed Jasper...

Post Edited (01-02-05 22:44)

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2005 03:51AM

For some reason, I keep thinking about these books as cartoons. And not a cutesy, Disney/Dreamworks movie either. True, it would be hard not to make it cutesy, but I think if we had the right people do it, it might turn out ok. Would certainly solve the problem of special effects.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.chrstn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2005 04:49AM

I always picture Tim Curry as Joffy when I'm reading -- although I fear he might be getting a bit too on in age at this point. Still, I think that he would be perfect.

Posted by: PhoenixAsh (---.178.111.65.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: January 05, 2005 12:24AM

Here's my list, as compiled from various suggestions above and a couple of my own ideas:

Thursday: *Hilary Swank, thanks Stin, that's a great one! Ever seen her in Iron-Jawed Angels? You'll understand if you do.*
Landen: Jeremy Northam
Colonel Next: John Cleese
Miss Havisham: Dame Maggie Smith
Acheron Hades: Alan Rickman
Bowden: Colin Firth
Kaine: Hugh Grant
Aornis: Paltrow, perhaps? She would need to be blonde and chic at least.
Jack Schitt: definitely Steve Buscemi (why do I have to be Mr. Pink?)
Lavoisier: Gerard Depardieu
Colonel Bradshaw: Jim Broadbent
Cheshire Cat: Stephen Fry

Post Edited (01-06-05 22:17)

"I count religion but a childish toy,
And hold there is no sin but ignorance."
Jew of Malta, prologue
Christopher Marlowe

Posted by: Stin (---.ssmb.com)
Date: January 05, 2005 01:25PM

Hilary Swank for Thursday, perhaps? I don't know if she can do the accent, but she looks great with brutally short hair...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: PhoenixAsh (---.179.50.146.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: January 06, 2005 09:16PM

See newly-edited list in previous post.

Jew of Malta, prologue
Christopher Marlowe

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr06.wi.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: January 09, 2005 07:22PM

Hilary Swank for Thursday, perhaps?
No I see her more looking like Colette Brown who played Kirsty Maine in UK Vampire miniserise Ultravoilet.May be better known on here for playing Samantha 'Sam' Kennedy in Holby City.No pic of her at IMDb but found one here [news.bbc.co.uk].

Who do you see as Joffie?

Posted by: PhoenixAsh (---.178.111.89.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: January 09, 2005 11:26PM

Who's the chap who played the reverend in The Importance of Being Earnest (yes, the film version with Colin Firth, Rupert Everett, etc.)? That's who I pictured as Joffy, but a bit younger.

Jew of Malta, prologue
Christopher Marlowe

Date: January 09, 2005 11:46PM

Its one of 4 people
Tom Wilkinson -.... Dr. Chasuble [www.imdb.com]

Edward Fox -Lane

Patrick Godfrey- Merriman

Charles Kay -Gribsby
The other don't have pictures at IMDb

Posted by: Stin (192.193.220.---)
Date: January 10, 2005 01:41PM

I kept seeing Joffy as Biff from Back to the future... but I think that was the beating up on the sister thing...

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 10, 2005 08:02PM

"For Fun - What if they made a movie"

It wouldn't be as good as you'd expect and this place would be full of people demanding to know why they left out all the good bits/all their favourite bits/some obscure paragraph halfway down pg 312 that even Jasper's mum hasn't read.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Stin (---.sbi.com)
Date: January 10, 2005 08:37PM

Well of course, PSD, that goes without saying...

Date: January 10, 2005 10:20PM

But that is part of the fun of it

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2005 10:33PM

Surely, Colin Firth would do best as Heathcliff...Darcy is a very similar character, although not as nasty, but absolutely as snotty.

I just want to make sure someone good plays Emperor Zhark...the whole story hinges on him and his entrances!;-)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.chrstn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2005 05:06AM

My vote is for Marvin the Martian.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.