New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: For Fun - What if they made a movie
Posted by: PhoenixAsh (---.msn.com)
Date: January 12, 2005 01:59AM

Tom Wilkinson -.... Dr. Chasuble [www.imdb.com]

yeah, that's Joffy alright

"I count religion but a childish toy,
And hold there is no sin but ignorance."
Jew of Malta, prologue
Christopher Marlowe

Posted by: Geordie Rich (---.61.76.94.host.de.colt.net)
Date: January 13, 2005 02:23PM

Absotively, posilutely, got to have Geraldine McEwan- the wonderful new Miss Marple- as Havisham.

==========

Nose to the grindstone, shoulder to the wheel.
Now try to work in that position.

Posted by: InvisibleManiac (---.pws.iss.soton.ac.uk)
Date: January 13, 2005 02:54PM

McEwan doesn't strike me as being formidable enough.

Personally, I'd prefer Patricia Routledge as Havisham.

--
IM - The Friendly Voice of Chaos

"Hey! You tore up my tablecloth!"

Posted by: Geordie Rich (---.61.76.94.host.de.colt.net)
Date: January 13, 2005 02:58PM

I disagree with you about McEwan's grr-factor. But Patricia Routledge would be great in the part.

==========

Nose to the grindstone, shoulder to the wheel.
Now try to work in that position.

Posted by: Crystal (---.lax1-4.27.248.11.lax1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 12:35AM

Oh Patricia Routledge would be fabulous!

Posted by: sharon (---.156.60.23.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: January 14, 2005 03:46AM

Gillian Anderson as Next. Shes done a similar role in XFiles, I like Cleese as Dad. Sam Neil as Landon (Jurassic Park). Dunno her name, but the Keeping up Appearances actress as Mrs Next.

jmho

Posted by: PhoenixAsh (---.178.54.127.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 05:30AM

I think Sam Neil is getting a little on in years to play Landen.
I like Gillian Anderson though. God do I miss X-Files.

"I count religion but a childish toy,
And hold there is no sin but ignorance."
Jew of Malta, prologue
Christopher Marlowe

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2005 01:34PM

Sam Neil could play the Colonel, though.

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr06.wi.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: January 16, 2005 11:04PM

Who was it that played Diania in Waiting for God? I think she'd do a good Mother,and the lady that played Macwitch from Rent a Ghost*looks round- what?* would do a goog Granny Next

Posted by: SingingHels (62.138.169.---)
Date: January 17, 2005 09:01AM

Molly Weir?....might need to use a bit of chrono-travel, I'm afraid.

Posted by: Greg Downs (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 03:04AM

While reading the books, I've been flipping back and forth between picturing Kelly Macdonald (State of Play, Trainspotting, Gosford Park, etc.) and Helen Baxendale (Cold Feet, An Unsuitable Job for a Woman) as Thursday. Of course by the time these are ever made into movies, they will both be far too old.

Posted by: Kit Chenzink (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 01:06AM

Yes! Simon Pegg as Millon and Jessica (Daisy fromSpaced) Stephenson as Thursday.. Inspired! I hadn't even thought of Millon yet.. but their love/hate relationship wolud be wonderful here!

Posted by: Will Barrow (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 04, 2005 12:05AM

My cast list is as follows:
Thursday - Jessica Stephenson
Acheron - Alan rickman
Landen - Charlie Sheen OR (if he can't do the accent- but he's got the comic timing!) that bloke from Bedazzled/The Mummy???
Her Mum - Julie Walters
Her Dad - Stephen Fry
Jack Schitt - Tim Spall
Bowden - John 'Four Weddings & A Funeral' Hannah
Yorrick - Linus Roache
Cat - John Cleese
Hamlet - Mel Gibson (!!!)
Millon - I agree, Simon Pegg
Granny Next - Old Jessica Stephenson with tons of make-up!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE NOTE JURISFICTION:
The door that opens into The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn requires that you bring a raft, playing cards (doctored) & a fishing line. Leave shoes at the door,.Please collect necessary items before entry. WARNING: The Dauphin is not to be trusted, whatever point you encounter him on...

Posted by: 198505 (---.cable.ubr06.wi.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: March 04, 2005 01:52PM

OR (if he can't do the accent- but he's got the comic timing!) that bloke from Bedazzled/The Mummy???

Would you be meaning Rick played by Brendon Frasier?

Posted by: PrincessP (---.mpk-eres.charterpipeline.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 09:09PM

by Will Barrow: "My cast list is as follows: Thursday - Jessica Stephenson... Granny Next - Old Jessica Stephenson with tons of make-up!"

Do you mean Juliette Stephenson? I don't recognize Jessica...

I envisioned Juliette Stephenson whilst reading the books (she made an impressive Hedda Gabler on stage eons ago). But she may be too advanced in years for Thursday if/when cameras roll for a movie. Perhaps even now, I don't recall her age and haven't seen her in anything for awhile.

It would be great fun if they could do some cameos that incorporate visual/movie/tv references much like Jasper does with literary puns/references. Such as casting Tom Baker and somebody asks, "Who was that?" "Precisely." It could help make up for the loss in the written word plays. I'd love to see a lot of old favorites and popculture actors brought back to the screen.

The books are so veddy veddy British, I feel they should be acted only by authentic Brits. That's one thing the HP translations got right. Even though there are many talented actors in the US, it could be distracting to see them. The characters, voice, style etc really ought to be comfortable to the actors, like worn shoes. JMHO.

---------

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. --- Edgar Allan Poe

Posted by: PrincessP (---.mpk-eres.charterpipeline.net)
Date: March 06, 2005 09:35PM

Sorry for the ignorance. Just went and educated myself about Jessica Stephenson (ain't the net a fabulous thing?). Spaced, eh? Sounds interesting.

Posted by: deronda (---.bay.webtv.net)
Date: April 20, 2005 06:47PM

I haven't read "Something Rotten" yet, but through the first 3 books I have pictured the following actors/actresses in these roles:Thursday: Keeley HawesLanden: Anthony HowellAornis: Gwyneth Paltrow*Nemo: Sean ConneryBowden: Colin Firth*Cat: Anthony HopkinsMrs. Next: Angela LansburyThis is my first post, but I've been checking out these forums ever since I read "The Eyre Affair" several weeks ago. I suppose this means I've officially de-lurked. *Suggestions from other posts.

Posted by: purplefish (194.72.50.---)
Date: May 09, 2005 12:20PM

Jessica stephenson would be great for thursday! spaced brouhgt out a ditzy side of her methinks which seems non-thursdayish but i still think shed be the one for me. john cleese as the cat yeah why not, alan rickman would be great too. im unsure about who would play landen but surely we'd be dissappointed with a movie, it would never meet our expectations of both story and characters but then again it would be amusing to view book travel etc on the big screen. ciao for now monsieur cow! oh and yes i realise its just for fun

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: May 09, 2005 05:08PM

Well, if you're going to be like that it wouldn't even make any sense. The pun names wouldn't work because you'd never see them written down. Also, the jokes about books wouldn't work -- the mispeling vyrus, Zhark's chapter-heading and chapter-opening jokes, the bookworms' excreted hyphens, the footnoterphone, courier bold... I don't really see how it could ever not be a book. It would lose too much.

But if we're just casting it for fun, then I think Jack Davenport should try his hand at Landen and look forward to a half-hour DVD extra entitled "That 'That That/Had Had' Outtake Reel In Full".

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.