New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Mother Teresa
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.perm.iinet.net.au)
Date: September 19, 2004 06:29AM

This is really bothering me. Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Jim Henson and Mother Teresa were all alive and kicking in our 1988. So why aren't they in Thursday's??

Re: Mother Teresa
Posted by: IHazon303 (---.range217-42.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 19, 2004 11:12AM

Well, the point made in the book was about Pot and Amin living to a ripe old age, with the other two taken too early. So the fact that they're alive backs it up. As for Teresa and Henson, well Jasper can get away with a few lapses in his books, just blame it on his friends the French Revisionists. Colonel Next did say that Teresa was supposed to live to 107, so presumably something or someone snatched her away early.

And maybe there was violent objection to puppets in their world? Perhaps the Punch and Judy Liberation Army dispatched Henson for controlling his puppets with sticks?

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2004 01:44PM

Besides, it's an *alternate* reality, which means things don;t always match up with ours, and we shouldn;t be upset when they don;t.

Posted by: A. Salieri (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 19, 2004 04:12PM

When all goes wrong, just blame it on that irritating Lavoisier fellow....And am I the only one that noticed that all of the French members of the ChronoGuard are from the French Revolution......???/ (Marat, Lavoisier...I'm thinking we should expect M. Robspierre any century now....!)
Best Regards,
~Antonio Salieri~ (oh, and welcome again!)

Date: September 20, 2004 12:20AM

I think I will have to blame the French Revisionists - otherwise I'll keep thinking that Jasper made... a mistake!!

Date: September 21, 2004 09:15PM

Oh no, not that....anything but that! Please say it isn't so!
Best Regards,
~A.Salieri

Date: September 22, 2004 01:05AM

OK, perhaps it's just a minor bloophole then!

Posted by: green tree frog (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2004 01:52AM

Ok. One more time. Mother Teresa and Pol Pot being dead are NOT, i repeat NOT, mistakes or boopholes. This is alternate reality, which means the timeline is different. Things that happen in our timeline do not always happen in the book timeline. Best example of this: we have airplanes; they don't.
Second of all, Mr Ff DOES make mistakes. Hence the pages of upgrades to the books he has on his website.

Date: September 23, 2004 05:28AM

Sorry to waste your precious time, Frog - my last post was meant as a joke in response to A.Salieri's comment!

And thanks for all the "alternate reality" posts - I probably should've asked a different question initially.

My quibble was:

For a person living in the real world in 2004, someone commenting about Mother Teresa dying young is a joke, because she was in her eighties when she died. However, as far as Thursday's comment about Mother Teresa in her world in 1988 is concerned, MT would've only been in her sixties at most when she died - ie quite young to die. So, I think Jasper made a mistake in choosing to make a "dying young" joke about Mother Teresa... funny in the real world in 2004, not particularly funny in 1988 in Thursday's world.

And if your explanation will be that she was born at a different time in that alternate reality, I don't like it (was it Thursday's father (? oops, can't remember) who ceased to exist due to a well timed knock on the door) - the MT of Thursday's reality had to be born at the same time as the MT in ours to still be Mother Teresa!

Anyway, it's not a major issue, I just wondered if anyone else was thrown by it like I was (being a real person reading a book in 2004, several years after the real Mother Teresa died) - and by the looks of it, the answer to that is "NO"!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.030.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: September 23, 2004 06:35AM

yes it was her father, instead her fathers sister was born. Rather confusing but it makes sence in TN world!

Date: September 24, 2004 01:10AM

Yes, I known Mr. Ff makes mistakes; in fact, the "book upgrades" are some of the best pages on this site!! :)
Best Regards,
~Antonio Salieri~

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 29, 2004 08:47AM

And I think April Next is one of the only ones named for a month.

Unless there's others on that family tree that's somewhere on the site.

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Posted by: Mel Smith (203.43.158.---)
Date: October 26, 2004 01:42AM

I'm in grade 7. I'm studying Mother Teresa. She has some really good quotes.

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 26, 2004 09:48AM

Care to share some? I've forgotten most of what I ever knew about her.

---
Those who forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.