New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
New narrator for Something Rotten audio book?
Posted by: Richard of the sea (---.microsoft.com)
Date: September 21, 2004 06:45PM

Anyone know why Elizabeth Sastre does not narrate Something Rotten?

Re: New narrator for Something Rotten audio book?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2004 08:45PM

because no one else liked her? (just guessing here!)

I found Elisabeth Saste to be WAY too dry for the material. And she sounded like an American tyring to do a British accent to me. Just didn't work for me. That's why I only bought TEA in audio format.

Posted by: Richard of the Sea (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: September 24, 2004 03:20AM

I just received my copy of the Something Rotten audio book with the new narrator and she is terrible.

This is extremely disappointing. She is bland and reads like my high school science teacher; hopefully I don't fall asleep at the wheel and drive off the road listening to her destroy the story I have become so attached to.

Can anyone else imagine JK Rolling changing out Jim Dale for Dan Rather for the next Potter books? This is what has happened here.

I need a chrono guard to wipe all this whole mess out of memory.

Posted by: Loopy Lou (---.108.client.e-access.com.au)
Date: September 25, 2004 07:01AM

Or Mycroft's memory eraser device. One of the two!

=)

Yes.... Uh, no.... Actually......I don't know.... Um, hang on.... What was the question again?

Posted by: Dexter Craven (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: October 01, 2004 03:04PM

Um, why don't you just read it aloud? Otherwise, pop in on Ms Sastre and get her to read it to you.

Posted by: boffin (---.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: October 09, 2004 04:49AM

Wottabout me? Then it will all sound like bad impersonations of Kenneth Williams.

Posted by: cindy (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 10, 2004 02:16AM

Are you crazy? Elizabeth Sastre WAS Thursday. I couldn't believe someone else was narrating "Something Rotten." So I had to buy the book and read it, I just couldn't hear someone else as Thursday.

Posted by: leslie (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 24, 2004 12:33AM

I'm with you, Cindy! Even when I read Thursday Next books, it's Elizabeth Sastre's voice I hear in my head when Thursday speaks. I thought she was fabulous, and I've heard my share of poorly-read audiobooks. I haven't heard the new one yet, but anyone else just wouldn't work for me. I'll probably give TN-4 a listen sometime (though I've already read it), just in the interest of completeness, but I don't have high hopes...

I wish I could hear the UK reader, but I'm @#$%& -- I get my audiobooks from the library. Not likely to get the UK version here...

Posted by: pip (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: December 01, 2004 10:39PM

Does it work as an audio?? surely you lose the whole essence of the books, that they are books. TN4 would be so much poorer without the many visual puns.

Posted by: ahsweape (---.z064002106.hou-tx.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: June 12, 2005 01:04AM

I loved Elizabeth Sastre and I cannot stand the new woman. It's not her Thursday that I dislike so much as all her other characters. Especially her Jack Schitt!! She makes all the men in Something Rotten sound like stuffy, fat children. Sastre's Schitt was slick and sinister, like her SHOULD be. And I did not think that anyone could make Landen sound unsexy, but this new woman manages to do it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.