New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Mystic Thursday (BIG spoiler, as if you care)
Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: October 21, 2004 02:25PM

Nearly a quote:

Granny Next:"You don't have Aornis in your head without picking up some tricks, you know"

Does this mean we'll be getting a semimnemomorphic Thursday at some point? Even vaguely. Can anyone else see this getting silly? Or recommend how to implement the word semimnemomorphic in everyday conversation?

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Re: Mystic Thursday (BIG spoiler, as if you care)
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.inter.net.il)
Date: October 21, 2004 05:33PM

I don't know if it's semimnemonomorphic or simply good at confusing people. Like her whole Landen/tea scene thing (I'm assuming you remember LIAGB). Maybe it's just subtle intelligent manipulation. Although mnemonomorphic thursday would be very cool.

Posted by: A. Salieri (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 21, 2004 09:46PM

I felt semimnemomorphic as my coworker told me something I had done, but had no conscious recollection of doing....or maybe it's simply amnesia??!!
Best Regards,
~Antonio Salieri~

Posted by: boffin (---.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: October 22, 2004 01:26AM

You aren't referring to the 'M' word again, are you?
Amnesia. Pshaw! Piffle, and Rubbish!
Not a defence.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: November 17, 2004 01:35AM

Now wouldn't that be fun to see in TN5? Thursday as a semimnemonomorph would open up some interesting questions, though it Jasper was smart (as he is) he wouldn't use it too much, but instead spend a little time on Thursday thinking about the moral issues of using the power.
Of course, if TN5 takes place before TN4, then this wouldn't work.

Date: November 17, 2004 03:06PM

I declare that the next one (samuel pepys fiasco) isn't TN5; it's TNpi.

Someone will get a greek letter for it and show me up won't they.

-------

Date: November 17, 2004 10:13PM

In reference to Boffin's post: No, but I do believe insanity is a quite commonly used defence........at least for that whole business with a "confession."
Best Regards,
~Antonio Salieri~

Date: November 17, 2004 10:17PM

PS: I can try can't I??? (see above post)
~A.S.~

Posted by: boffin (---.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: November 18, 2004 01:10AM

No.
But you still do.
After all these years.

Date: November 18, 2004 05:03AM

Andy, you have NO idea how much you just made my day with "TN<pi>"! (Does that mean that if there's a book between LIAGB and WOLP we can call it "TNe"?)

Date: November 18, 2004 01:49PM

Depends how far through it is. Could be TN /7

One with lots of time travel could of course by TNj, though.

-------

Date: November 18, 2004 03:53PM

Oho, so you're one of those electrical types, are you? (Using j instead of i, I mean.)
But here's the problem with using mathematical constants for naming the books: nothing in Thursday's world is constant. I mean, with all this time travel and warped space and things, not to mention access to other dimensions, how do we even know that <pi> has the same value?
(Anyway, enough out of me or everyone else will want to kill us for talking too much math…)

Date: November 19, 2004 11:18AM

Of course, if you use Nextian mathematics, pi is equal to 22/7, making all your circle needs rational and easily divisible.

j=-i. You square either of them and you get -1

Yes, I am an electrical type. As in someone who studied electronics, not as in I'm a robot. I can still remember more fourier transform stuff than I want in my head though. Can still do RSA encryption on paper, and will.

We do use nextian maths around here, by the way. How else are we gonna fly off on 5 tangents consecutively?

-------

Date: November 19, 2004 08:59PM

Speaking of pi(e), I wouldn't mind some apple. Or cherry maybe. I like the idea of using TNpi as a title. Maybe instead of the "Samuel Pepys fiasco", the book could be about Thurs. rescuing Mycroft and Polly from "The 7% Solution", since Mycroft is the one who invented Nextian mathematics. Or maybe I'm just thinking way too much about this....Oh well!
Best Regards,
~Antonio Salieri~

Date: November 19, 2004 10:44PM

I wouldn't mind a whole Thursday book on math, but I'm afraid it might turn off other fans. But maybe the mathematically inclined among us could collaborate on a comprehensive discussion on Nextian Mathematics?

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: November 21, 2004 08:22PM

Well.... In Nextian mathematics it is possible to square the circle (ie draw a square of the same area as a given circle)

All proofs are left as an exercise for the reader.

Rob

Date: November 22, 2004 09:21AM

And don't forget the polyhedron that will fall over on any side it lands on.

I'm personlly intrigued by whether the equation compression that Prof Mycroft comes up with is mathematically feasible. There's no real reason why it shouldn't be, but it's gonna be a pain, or possible boil down to the trusty old "hundred monkey" method.

-------

Date: November 22, 2004 03:46PM

Darn it, now you have me intrigued and I don't have my books with me! The next few days till I get home are going to be agony!

Date: November 22, 2004 03:56PM

For reference, Mycroft came up with a way of compressing values to create a quite short equation, for a large number, which, when calculated, gave the numeric values, which translated to a suitable set of letters and symbols, which was, I believe Sleepy hollow, but I'm probably wrong.

But the use of ^ means a lot of data can be generated quite easily. The trick is finding the equation in the first place......

-------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.