New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Alan (slight dodo-related spoiler)
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 21, 2004 03:01PM

Hi, I haven't posted here in a long time, but I just finished SR and loved it.
I had a question about Alan, Pickwick's son. Is the name "Alan" significant in some way? He goes back to Elsinore with Hamlet at the end of the book--is there an "Alan" mentioned in "Hamlet" somewhere? (It seems an unlikely name for a Shakespearian character!) Or did JF name him Alan in honor of a friend/colleague? It just seems like such a funny name for a pet dodo, and so unrelated to "Pickwick."
Thanks!
Karen

Re: Alan (slight dodo-related spoiler)
Posted by: boffin (---.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: October 22, 2004 01:48AM

I would like to read 'The adventures of Alan Dodo at the Danish Court', whoever it turns out to be written by.
With a bit of luck, Alan will peck Polonius behind the arras, or possibly somewhere slightly lower down, anatomically speaking. Serve the old git right too, is what I say.

Posted by: Nicky (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: October 23, 2004 06:00PM

Karen, look here. And welcome to the forum.

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: December 07, 2004 08:51PM

Which still doesn't answer the question of why Jasper named both dodos Alan, of course.

Post Edited (12-08-04 16:24)

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 08, 2004 12:59AM

Because that was its name, said Pooh. And it was.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.