New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Joffy and Spike
Posted by: Tasha (203.78.9.---)
Date: November 04, 2004 05:01AM

I know that our esteemed writer Mr. Fforde wanted Spike back in the books,but did it occur to anyone that this sub-plot wasn't as good as the other Spike 'encounters'?The SEB was ten times better.Somehow I get the feeling that Spike hasn't been done justice.He's a great character,but it looks as though he's lost steam in TN-4.

Joffy,however,turns out great in this one.Who would ever have guessed that there could be anyone more irreverent than him?Great stuff.But where's the part where he gets married?

Any comments?

---the proof's in the tasting---

Re: Joffy and Spike
Posted by: boffin (---.access.uk.tiscali.com)
Date: November 06, 2004 04:00PM

Does he?
I am unsure on this point. I would say that he doesn't, but the GSD would possibly let him if he really wanted to.

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: November 08, 2004 10:57AM

Joffy gets married? I'm not sure the GSD are that strict, as it possibly has to accomodate all possible interpretations of the faith.

I'm not sure there's any part where he "gets married". But I imagine a GSD wedding could be funny and slightly cheeky.

Spike, of course gets married in the intervening years. With/ without compulsory undead attack:

"...speak now, or forever hold his peace"
"Brrrraaaaaaiiiiiiinnnnnssssss"

But I'm probably talking a load of bum.

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: A. Salieri (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 08, 2004 10:06PM

Joffy marries Miles Hawke...It's never mentioned in the books, as Mrs. Next always refers to Miles as "Joffy's partner", but somewhere around here, there's a Next family tree in which J.Next is linked to M. Hawke through a "GSD wedding".... Hope that clears up all confusion....
Best Regards,
~Antonio Salieri~

Date: November 09, 2004 03:01AM

[www.thursdaynext.com]

(That's the address for the family tree, if anyone's interested...)
Best Regards,
~Antonio Salieri~

Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: November 09, 2004 09:42AM

OK, I just looked at the family tree: What the Dickens was Aunt April Tuesday doing? She's got 5 husbands on there, & we've not seen her in the books. Hmmm, curious.

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Date: November 09, 2004 09:46PM

She was the one who was born instead of Col. Next.....goodness knows if I have any idea what she was doing....
Best Regards,
~Antonio Salieri~

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2004 11:10AM

April Overton Next (1917-) Only marginally less intelligent than her brother Mycroft, April emigrated to Australia after a prison term for collaboration in 1949. Pioneered work on supercooled magnetic repulsive systems and ceramic containment. April Next, despite her dodgy war record, almost single-handedly enabled the Gravitube to come into existence. A restless and disturbed character, she speaks very little with the family. Married five times with one son. Husbands: (1) Wendell Gleep (1932) (2) Kavorkian Dibble (1934) (Son; Timothy, 1936.) (3) Abel Flaxwood (1941) (4) Col. Gerhardt Von Squid (1946) (5) Walston Rushworth (1951; divorced 1956)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.