New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Shakespeare? (spoiler'ish)
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.nsw.westnet.com.au)
Date: December 12, 2004 12:08PM

I thought it was a given that there was "no Shakespeare" and that it was all because TN's father brought a copy of the folio back through time? If that is so, then isn't the whole Shakespeare cloning kinda pointless because, well, as far as I can tell, no one has solved as to who Shakespeare was ... yet?

Re: Shakespeare? (spoiler'ish)
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 13, 2004 12:46AM

Ah, but if you identify a culprit (worngly), clone them and then educate them with nothing but moth-eaten folios, then they'd still rigt a sub-Shakespearean dirge through nutrue, rather than nature. Y'see?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: December 13, 2004 01:03AM

You know, I didn't even notice that discrepancy! But Thursday's father did say in LIAGB that he had only given 18 plays to the actor Shakespeare and Thursday did conclude that the guy must have started writing his own to bring the total to 32. So there was a Shakespeare and he did write some plays of his own, which were apparently good enough.

Alternate explanation: I think the "reality" of Thursday's world is flexible and subject to the needs of the narrative, plus whatever Jasper feels like. There are other instances in which different books contradict each other, especially in how the BookWorld works.

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2004 01:08AM

And if nothing else, he can just blame it on the chronoguard mucking around with time.

Posted by: Anonymous User (203.163.74.---)
Date: December 13, 2004 01:53AM

Now that I think about it over lunch, and having skimmed through the "special features" yesterday, I think this was really just a plot device to get Thursday and co. have a reason to go to Area 21 where Stig can pick-up a copy of the 'thal genome which is needed for the superhoop 88 to unfold as it unfolded.

Still, a bit disappointed over such a big bloophole, considering the whole issue was one of the central issues in TEA.

Oh well, no biggie. Just thought I missed something. Nothing a holesmith can't fix!

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: December 14, 2004 07:38AM

Ah, but remember, the latest in holesmithing techniques is to actually highlight and accentuate the hole, saying " 'Ho! I'm a hole, don't think about it!' " (WOLP, pg. 98)

Posted by: Loopy Lou (---.108.client.e-access.com.au)
Date: December 27, 2004 07:01AM

But there was a shakespeare back then, so he got cloned.

I was probably really off topic with that but hey!

=)

Yes.... Uh, no.... Actually......I don't know.... Um, hang on.... What was the question again?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.