New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Friday (spoiler)
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: December 13, 2004 01:11AM

As we know, Thursday's son Friday will grow up to become the greatest ChronoGuard officer ever, as revealed at the end of Something Rotten. Well, while looking something up in The Eyre Affair, I realized that Jasper must have been planning this since TN1! At the end of the book, when Thursday is talking to Lavoisier after her wedding, Lavoisier warns her, "If you ever have a son who wants to join the ChronoGuard, try to dissuade him." I had totally forgotten this conversation up until now, and I thought it would be of interest to point it out.

Re: Friday (spoiler)
Posted by: Barefoot Andy (195.188.86.---)
Date: December 13, 2004 02:45PM

I'd picked up on it, and this is what I thought was going on. What seems a bit odd though is why he wants her to dissuade him from joining Chronoguard if he ends up being the greatest, and possibly cannot exist if he doesn't join. (how he got born without Landen). Personnally, I go with the idea of Thursday dissuades him and he joins out of teengae spite.

-------
Turn the silliness to eleven!

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net)
Date: December 14, 2004 07:40AM

I can definitely see Thursday wanting to dissuade him for a lot more reasons than just Lavoisier. But it's obvious why Lavoisier doesn't want Friday: he's the most chronupt officer that ever existed. Of course he doesn't want Friday Next coming along and destroying all his corrupt work.

Posted by: Wren (---.com)
Date: December 28, 2004 05:42AM

Indeed. Personally, I have been waiting for the mysterious man to show up since 1. It seemed to me the forshadowing kind of odd.

Posted by: Anonymous User (202.139.27.---)
Date: January 10, 2005 09:13PM

I thought it was the Chronoguard with Lavoisier, not Lavoisier himself, who said to Thursday to dissuade her son from joining the Chronoguard?

I now assume it was that was Friday, forced to assist in tracking down his grandfather, jesting with his mum about detering him from the chronoguard earlier in his life.

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: January 10, 2005 11:19PM

Hmmm…interesting point. And welcome to the fforum, Penguin!

Posted by: Terminal noun symdrome (---.askham-bryan.ac.uk)
Date: January 28, 2005 02:27PM

I believed it to be Thursdays son from reading TN1 mainly because of the rug insident he also mentioned... I have a bigger question though.... Tuesday.

Tuesday is Thurday's daughter (she turns up at her mum's death bed). Tuesday is also Thursday's grandmothers name. It states that Tuesday has two children one male of female, if you remove Thursday's dad her grandmother had two children one male and one female. And that Tuesdays daughter came to visit with her daughter...... Tuesday's daughter has one child a daughter... am I reading way too much into this!!!!

Posted by: Rhea (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 04, 2005 02:28AM

... I actually think that Friday said that himself. (Reviving old threads again!)

And isn't his name actually Friday Parke-Laine now that Landen's back?

==================
"Say you were an idiot. And a member of Congress. ... But, I repeat myself!"
[metaphor.livejournal.com]
[www.twoflower.net]

Posted by: pip :) (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: April 06, 2005 03:37PM

Sorry. So thursday's gran is her daughter? I'm really confused now, and my English teacher still has my copy of Something Rotten.

Posted by: 198505 (---.192.147-27.stb.ubr03.pr.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: April 07, 2005 05:22PM

No Thursday's .... you've not read it so I can't say any more without giving something big away .

Posted by: pip (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: April 07, 2005 06:36PM

I have read it!
When I say 'gran' I mean mother's mother. I was v careful not to say 'Granny' if you get my (hopefully non-spoiler) drift.

Date: April 07, 2005 08:52PM

I must of missed that bit *looks confused*
Does look like you have little luck with retaining copes of Fforde books , there pip.

Post Edited (04-07-05 21:54)

Date: April 07, 2005 11:04PM

It's just because I'm such a lovely person! And you can't really not lend books to the English teacher who marks your coursework...

Post Edited (04-08-05 15:28)

When shall we three meet again...

Date: April 08, 2005 02:10PM

*edit to remove far to much smut*
Sorry but I thiink that may of been worded just a little less ambigousely,pip so as someone with a mind as bad as mine can be could only read it one way, the way thats worded?

Date: April 08, 2005 02:29PM

Thanks for that. You left me with the most charming mental image. That'll take years of therapy to undo.

Date: April 11, 2005 05:28PM

It's not just you I have that effect on most site I go on.

Posted by: Kim Meseck (---.ivylnd01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2005 07:43PM

One question in my mind from "Something Rotten," regarding the unstable circumstances surrounding bringing Landon back after his irradication, why on earth would Thursday, knowing this, leave little Friday with her Dad, even for a very short period of time?

If Landon disappears through one of his unstable portals (for lack of a better word), his parents would end up with little Friday in their home. They would both be puzzled, not knowing who this child was or where he came from, and would probably call the police, who would probably end up turning little Friday over to the child welfare system.

Just wondering if I was the only one who thought of this?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.78.240.220.rns02-dryb-mel.dsl.comindico.com.au)
Date: June 16, 2005 04:14PM

Maybe she somehow knew that Landen would stay this time?

I only bought the book yesterday and finished reading it today (ok so I was slow this time, I had classes to go to >.<) therefore I dont have much of an in depth knowlege of the plot yet.

Posted by: WhisperingOpal (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: June 23, 2005 12:54AM

I was reading that part of "Something Rotten" today, and noticed the same thing. But too much of the plot was getting taken up by explaining where Thursday was leaving Friday - leaving him with Landen once he'd been back a full 24 was just convenient bother for Thursday, and for Jasper!

Posted by: BelanaTorres (---.1.12.vie.surfer.at)
Date: October 16, 2005 01:50PM

Yeah, I agree with that. And besides, it was quite annoying that Landen kept appearing and disappearing all the time, so I was glad when he was back for good (also because now Thursday and Landen can be happy forever, of course). And I also like how Landen and Friday get so spend time together. :)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.