New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: otto von bismarck's english
Posted by: MartinBentley (---.is.co.za)
Date: August 29, 2005 07:26PM

How would that help?

A pinky yes....

Posted by: robert (---.mit.csu.edu.au)
Date: August 30, 2005 01:54AM

What wrong is with Bismarck's English anyhoo?

Posted by: A. Salieri (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 30, 2005 01:57AM

So, it appears we fforumites have changed the subject once again....

"Otto von Bismarck's English" was a discussion that started out as a complaint that Bismarck's speech in SR was insulting to German-speaking peoples and branched off into a commentary on English and its uses in the world. Got that?

Best Regards,
~A.S.~

Posted by: robert (---.mit.csu.edu.au)
Date: August 30, 2005 02:18AM

I apologise if I get some of the following spelling incorrect.

Apparently when John F. Kennedy visited Germany he became so enamoured of one city in particular that he proclaimed, in a well-known speech:

"Icht bein ein Berliner!"

His intention was to proclaim a feeling of unity but, literally, what he said translates as, "I am a sausage."

Can any multi lingual person on the Fforum vouch for this (or correct my German spelling / grammar/ syntax)?

Posted by: SLIGHTCAP (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2005 02:45AM

I thought it meant, " I am a doughnut."

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: August 30, 2005 04:09PM

First: there's a superfluous 't' in the cite (simply a spelling error?):

"Ich bin ein Berliner!"

For the question what a Berliner actually is, you will get different answers depending on where you asked. Outside Berlin, 'Berliner' denotes, as you said, something like a doghnut. But, if you asked a citizen of Berlin about it, you will get lectured: The pastry MUST be called a 'Pfannkuchen' (pancake), even if everyone else would use that name for something completely different. A 'Berliner' is a citizen of Berlin, HA!

So, as Kennedy did that speech in Berlin, as far as we are concerned, nothing is wrong with it (exept it is much too often quoted).

(Any question where I live?)

Posted by: violentVi in northern exile (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: August 31, 2005 11:00PM

There's also a superfluous "e" in the quote. "Ich bein (sic) ein Berliner" would literally mean "I leg a Berlinian/doughnut), but nobody likes a pedant so I won't point it out.

I prefer to call the doughnuts Krapfen though. Pfannkuchen is something completely different, and where I come from is spelt and pronounced "(P)fannekuchen" anyway.

Posted by: robert (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 12:09AM

violentVi reckons it's pronounced "fanny-cushion"????

That's something different here too!

Posted by: ClaireC (---.93.6.108.plusnet.ptn-ag1.dyn.plus.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 03:51PM

>Author: MartinBentley (---.is.co.za)
>Date: 08-07-05 15:39

>I feel in general that no one came convincingly write accents.

Try books by Chris Brookmyre, the Scots accent he represents seem ennunciation perfect to my inner English ear.......

Posted by: Nicky (---.illinois.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 07:11PM

Actually, Bryce Courtenay does a pretty good South African accent in 'The Power of One'.

Date: September 01, 2005 07:31PM

Nicky: Oh? I don't have one....

Seriously I'll try track it down. Got any examples?

Claire: I wouldn't know how that sounds properly anyway....

To all: Pfannekuchen is a pancake innit? Least that's what I've known them as.

Posted by: Nicky (---.illinois.net)
Date: September 01, 2005 07:42PM

Nup, I read it when I was your age. Dibsy just read it about a month ago, though, (on my recommendation) and loved it.

Posted by: robert (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: September 02, 2005 02:11AM

ClaireC makes the good point that you can't really write accents.

Even with phonetics you can really only capture 'pronunciation' which is a far way from accent (or Tone, for that matter).

Good writers use written language as a CLUE for the reader to work with and the reader uses their own ear for speech (and a deal of imagination) in coming up with an interpretation; the way I hear von bismarck may thereby be very different to the way you hear him.

Posted by: ClaireC (---.93.6.108.plusnet.ptn-ag1.dyn.plus.net)
Date: September 02, 2005 09:46AM

Martin: Really, you don't think you've ever heard a Scots accent?? How about Sean Connery, he uses a Scots accent in every part he's ever played, even his Irish character in Untouchables is Scots....

Indeedy, thanks Robert that just what I meant. And its about the whole book reading experience and why films can never eclipse books because they bring alive our inner ears, eyes, senses, feet and verrucas (or is that last bit just me) - and why if Von Bismarck doesn't work for some people clearly does for others..........

Date: September 03, 2005 10:27AM

Oh. Is that Scots?

Robert and Claire: More-or-less what I'm saying. I mean I can write something "in an accent" but to get you to understand which it is, is something else.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.noc.indiana.edu)
Date: August 02, 2006 09:34AM

Commenting to an older message:

"Being a native Texan and proud American"

After several years of living in this country, I still can't understand that so many people seem to feel the need to declare themselves _proud_ to be Americans. Why ... is it a deeply hidden insecurity issue? OK, so you're American, he's German, etc. To each their own, pros and cons.
Big nation's pride can become too close to nationalism. Which in turn can become too close to Yorrick Kaine...

It's so much nicer to hear someone being proud to be a citizen of a small village, especially if they are doing something for it. Or to be proud of not wasting time in watching Name That Fruit! for days in a row. Or of not losing patience in front of your children when a Mammoth stomps your garden.

I much more respects anyone declaring themselves as inhabitant of this world, or possibly human. And humbly so. Toast-eating, yours truly.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: September 06, 2006 10:30AM

I am proud to be British - except when watching the antics of some of my countrymen both at home and abroad. Given the choice, however I would prefer to be proud to be British and living in the German-speaking part of Switzerland.

I am proud to be English - except a bunch of yobs hi-jacked the Cross of St. George and use it as banner for racism and jingoism. Given the choice I would prefer to be proud to be English while living in Eire.

I am proud to be Lancastrian - except someone re-drew the boundaries and now I am a Greater Mancunian. Given the choice, I would prefer to live in the Yorkshire Dales.

I am proud to be Salfordian - except that the place where I was brought up no longer exists, and Salford is a very rough suburb of Manchester. Given the choice, I prefer to be proud from a distance and will never live there again.

I am pround of my family - except that now that I am married I have two families, which blur around the edges. Given the choice I would not change anything.

You can be proud of your background and still recognise it is not perfect.

Sermon over.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Posted by: Puck (---.dorm.reed.edu)
Date: September 07, 2006 05:23PM

Hear, hear!

I think the thing about saying 'Proud to be American' came about largely because so many families were originally imigrants, so they would be proud to finally become Americans. Saying it like that probably works best, though, if you are assuming that the people you are talking to are mostly American, which is not the case on the fffforum. A lot of Americans certainly are arrogant, and that bugs me, but it's not a prerequisite for citizenship. In any event, I think there is a clear distinction between being a proud American and approving of the current Idiot in Office.

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.