New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Who will play Thursday??!
Posted by: Kit Chenzink (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 02, 2005 12:15AM

When they film the amazing BBC dranatisation of The Eyre Affair series (or the dubious Hollywood version - see The Northern Lights Trilogy, with no mention of God!!! Readers know what I mean!)
Who will play Thursday??
We all have our mind felt opinions of how she is.. for some time I pictured a real womans woman.. Caroline Quentin. But was never completely happy with that. After I'd forced my 17 yr old daughter to read 'The Eyre affair' (which she CONSUMED in 2 days!! & has now nicked my Lost In A Good Book) she posed that exact question;
'Who do you imagine being Thursday?'
'Not sure' I said..
'I imagine Jessica Stephenson, from Spaced' she said
YES! YES! Daisy form Spaced (sorry US people, try to get v. surreal Brit com 'Spaced on DVD/VHs Brilliant!
Inspired! Cool! Brilliant! i wish I'd known she was Jessica Stephenson BEFORE I read the books! WOW! She is pretty in a quiet sort of way, funny, (See According to Bex & Spaced, perfect for when she's in the car and asks Chalk & Cheese where they've been on hols,) AND women like her! And she's not too young..
I vote Jessica to play Thursday Next in any Tv or Film production, so say I! Who agrees?

Re: Who will play Thursday??!
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cable.ubr05.stav.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: July 05, 2005 10:11PM

Jessica Stephenson would be good and she is young enough...although I do agree Caroline Quentin could do a bang up job although maybe a little old to be Thursday...Thursday's Mum perhaps?

I see Mycroft being played by Richard Briers and Patrick Malahide as Jack Schitt or Acheron Hades.

Posted by: violentViolet (---.arcor-ip.net)
Date: July 05, 2005 10:43PM

http://www.fritchman.com/images/lazy-five-ranch/groundhog-a.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colourless green ideas sleep furiously.

(N. Chomsky 1957)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.bb.online.no)
Date: July 29, 2005 08:35PM

I don't know about Thursday, but I think John Cleese would be good as Bradshaw, and somehow i think Eddie Izzard could be a good addition to the crew, possibly as Acheron Hades?

Posted by: robert (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 18, 2005 11:30PM

If Tuesday Weld is still making movies, she'd almost be up to the job.

Posted by: Mediocre (---.patmedia.net)
Date: August 22, 2005 06:10AM

I think Sharon Small would do a bang-up job playing Thursday.

In case anyone is wondering what she's done, she plays Inspector Lynley's partner in The Inspector Lynley Mysteries. In the states it's on Mystery on PBS. Goggle tells me it's on the BBC in Britain.

Posted by: Branfish (---.cable.ubr07.azte.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: October 20, 2005 01:52AM

I sincerely, deeply hope that the Thursday Next books are never adapted for the screen, either film or TV. They just wouldn't work. There are so many little things that only work in book form, but without which the spirit of the books would be gone. How would you visualise the footnoterphone messages? Or the gunport that's had all its adjectives devoured by grammarsites? Or the Text Sea? The only way to make a Thursday Next film would be to remove all of the within-fiction scenes. Granted, the "real world" of Thursday Next is a fascinating place, and would be well-worthy of a film in its own right, but it wouldn't be the same at all.

"We are born alone, and we die alone. In between, how about a drink?"
~ Mr. Nutty

Posted by: Nicky (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2005 04:10AM

I feel the same way. I'm not sure I've ever bothered to write it down, though.

Posted by: Branfish (---.cable.ubr07.azte.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: October 20, 2005 04:23AM

I don't suppose you've ever heard the radio series "The Sofa of Time", by any chance, have you? It's a kind of Lord of the Rings piss-take, with Nick Frost and Mark Heap (Mike and Brian from Spaced, respectively) and some other bloke as the main characters [Peter Serafinowicz, Simon Pegg, and Julia Deakin also have lesser roles]. I only bring it up because one of the things the writers (Frost and the other bloke) were most proud about was the fact that it would never work on TV. Likewise, I think that one of the best things about the TN books is that they only work as books.

"We are born alone, and we die alone. In between, how about a drink?"
~ Mr. Nutty

Posted by: Unbound Element (---.dsl.sfldmi.ameritech.net)
Date: February 07, 2006 02:08AM

Lola Vavoom?
I tend to get disapointed when books get turned into movies, the characters never seem to look quite right.

Wouldn't that be slightly breaking with the purpose of it though? A book about books put on screen...maybe if you redid it with respect to the screen...although that wouldn't work out quite right either, now would it...?

---
Um? Game?

Posted by: literaryloser (---.sktn.hsdb.sasknet.sk.ca)
Date: June 04, 2006 12:27AM

I didn't know they were doing a movie! when and where is this coming out?

SpecOps-27 Wordage is our business Grammar is our game.

Posted by: Puck (---.sfldmidn.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: June 05, 2006 12:14AM

I don't think any movie is actually planned. This is all just idle speculation.

JFf has said in the past that he does not plan on selling the rights to the books, and that if they are ever to be made into movies he will direct them himself.

Honestly, that seems like the best thing to do: have you heard about all the trouble Neil Gaiman has been going through with the rights to Sandman? The last I heard, the proposed script (written not by Gaiman himself, but by some fans of Sandman who tried to preserve the spirit of it) was rejected, and the new screenwriter had never read the comics, only the first script. Gaiman says he hopes the movie is never produced because the latest script is so far from his vision of it. And on top of all that, he would like to create more comics, but the people who own the rights won't even let him use his own characters anymore!

Sorry for the rant, but I would really hate to see something like that happen to Thursday Next!

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 11:23PM

Yikes! That would be terrible! Honestly, I can't imagine a worse thing you could do to an author than take his creation away from him.

I agree that Thursday's world would be incredibly hard to put on screen--especially the book-world. What about the scenes in The Well where the characters respond to something written in the book's description of themselves? Add that to the list of things that just wouldn't work.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: September 30, 2006 09:42PM

It would be great if they even thought about starting a movie because of the possible actors to play the characters. But it might be like Harry Potter and they might chop up the plot like cutting out scenes that are vidal to the story. I would love to see the Thursday Next movies but I don't want to see it chopped up.

Posted by: Barnadine (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: October 06, 2006 11:09AM

I agree with the impossibility of bringing the books to the screen, but if I were to ignore that and go for a casting: What about Tamsin Greig as Thursday?

<< insert hilariously witty quote here >>

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: October 06, 2006 03:16PM

Virtually all books have to be cut for the screen to keep running time bearable.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dip.t-dialin.net)
Date: March 11, 2007 03:32PM

Well... theres that German actress, Julia Jentsch, I think sheŽd make a good Thursday... But since she is, well, German - no chance for her, I think.
Anyway, heres a picture:
[www.agenturvogel.de]

Posted by: Puck (---.landmark.edu)
Date: March 18, 2007 09:30PM

Wow, she does look quite a bit like Thurs as I imagine her.

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Posted by: Barnadine (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: March 23, 2007 11:07AM

What about Tamsin Greig (Black Books, Green Wing)?

<< insert hilariously witty quote here >>

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.manc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: March 23, 2007 11:27AM

Bas, are you working as Tamsin's agent?

(Look at your post 6th Oct 2006 higher up the page)

<grin>

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

My computer beat me at chess, but I won at kickboxing

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.