New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Spoliers ahead!
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: July 10, 2006 08:30PM

Well, I just finished reading "Something Rotten" and....OMG!! What a twist at the end that Granny was Thursday older!! I knew it! Somehow, I knew it. When they first introduced Granny, there was a passage before the chapter and she said "Young Thursday". I thought it sounded like something your older self would say, but I dismissed it as a grama thing. It was just an amazing ending, I loved it. It was odd though, I'm sure, for Thursday to witness her own death.

This leaves me with 2 questions:
1. Would you like to witness your own death? Why/why not?
2. Is this the end of the series?? :(

That's all! ^__^

Re: Spoliers ahead!
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: July 12, 2006 01:22AM

I was completely taken by surprise that Granny turned out to be Thursday--even with the "young Thursday" thing.

I'm not sure if I'd want to witness my own death--depends on whether I'd die peacefully and happily, or in a bad way. Guess I'll have to die first, then decide!

This is probably not the end of the series, as there have been mentions of a fifth book that would take place during Thursday's time as Bellman, probably called "The Great Samuel Pepys Disaster" or however it is referred to in the book (I don't have it with me, so I can't double-check the wording…)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ras01.ord01.dial.cogentco.com)
Date: July 12, 2006 08:38PM

If I died a bad way, I wouldn't want to see it ahead of time, lol. If it was like, an early and tragic death, wouldn't you do everything you could to stay away from that kind of situation, so you wouldn't die? Man, that would screw stuff up, lol.

Oooh, cool! I hope he does write a fifth one! :)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 11:08PM

I seem to recall that this question was asked by an audience member last year when he came to Portland (Oregon) and that he said we haven't seen the last of Thursday. I could be wrong--it was a year ago after all, but I hope I'm right! :-)

Posted by: robcraine (83.218.26.---)
Date: July 13, 2006 10:05PM

Confirmed in the back of The Fourth Bear:

Thursday Next reurns in
/The War of the Words/
July 2007

Ashley, Jack and Mary will return in
/The Last Great Tortoise Race/

Another year!?!

Rob

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: July 14, 2006 05:01AM

Jasper has said in the past that he is trying to write a book a year, so I'd presume the next Nursery Crime book will be in 2008.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ras01.ord01.dial.cogentco.com)
Date: July 14, 2006 08:57PM

Yay! Another Thursday book!!! :)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: July 23, 2006 02:25AM

It is even more bizarre than that. Granny Next asks young Thursday to read the end of the Farrie Queen. So in effect Thursday Next kills herself!! How would you feel if yoe encountered an older you whom wanted you to pull the plug? Whoa! I ain't going their myself.

Posted by: literaryloser (---.sktn.hsdb.sasknet.sk.ca)
Date: July 23, 2006 05:10AM

I am so excited for the 5th book thats amazing I thought it was over, which is heart breaking! but no its all good! and I thought the Granny Next thing was pretty insane myself. A ending worthy of Thursday..I mean she definatly deserves to go like no one else.

SpecOps-27 Wordage is our business Grammar is our game.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.nas16.chicago3.il.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: July 23, 2006 09:51PM

Buck Stallion: That is really really weird, I didn't think of it that way!

literaryloser: Yea, very cool way to go in a way, with everyone popping in and stuff, it was cool.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.