New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Something Rotten :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding TN-4 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Just noticed this... - Hamlet versions
Posted by: ScarletBea (---.2-85.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: February 14, 2007 08:49PM

I'm re-reading Something Rotten *again*, and I noticed (can't remember if I'd noticed before or if someone has already mentioned this - I did a search and couldn't find it), anyway, I noticed that when Hamlet first wants to see his play in the 'normal world', Thursday tells him to watch the Mel Gibson version, as it's the more 'action like'.
Then Hamlet asks who plays Ophelia and she says "Helena Bonham Carter".
However, Helena plays Ophelia in the Kenneth Branagh version (great, which I've seen) and not in the Mel Gibson version (dunno, never watched it).

Was that on purpose or a glibber?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2007 08:49PM by ScarletBea.

Re: Just noticed this... - Hamlet versions
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.union.edu)
Date: February 14, 2007 10:56PM

Uh-oh. You'd better tell Jasper, so he can put it in the upgrades.

Posted by: PrinzHilde (---.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Date: February 15, 2007 02:18AM

I just looked it up on IMDB, and they say Helena Bonham Carter played in the Mel gibson version, whereas Branagh's Ophelia was Kate Winslet...

Design #3609494995:
It's a newly-discovered breed of fish that keeps your teeth clean, tastes delicious and dissolves in water.
generated with The Prior-Art-O-Matic

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.be.jnj.com)
Date: February 15, 2007 10:25AM

!!!!!!

Oh my god, you are right!!!!!

But... but.... Helena AND Mel Gibson???? It just doesn't sound right.... I guess my brain didn't accept that and casted the right people in the right film.

As excuse I only have the fact that Kenneth's film is from 96, so more than 10 years ago... in 10 years the brain has lots of latitude ;)

(I also really like Kate, but I suppose 10 years ago she wasn't that much known, so my brain didn't register... I think... )

Posted by: Puck (---.landmark.edu)
Date: February 19, 2007 04:50AM

The Kenneth Branagh Hamlet? Don't get me started... (the chandalier? what was he thinking?!!!) Seriously, someone needs to put that man on a stage and NOT let him play with special effects!

-------------------------
Metaphors be with you!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.