New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
For our British Readers
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 11, 2002 09:02PM

<HTML>Anybody struggling to understand the lingo used by those in JurOzFiction in the previous thread is advised to consult <a href="http://www.textfiles.com/humor/strine.txt">Let Stalk Strine</a>.</HTML>

Re: For our British Readers
Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: November 12, 2002 10:49AM

<HTML>I second that link. I particularly liked the Aussie versions of fairy tales. However, no mention was made of Australia's most irritating linguistic bequest to the world, the 'Aussie inflection'. You know, the one where every sentence sounds as if it ends in a question? As if the speaker isn't sure about anything they've said? It's, like, really annoying? I blame 65 Walrus Street.</HTML>

Posted by: Anne (---.dc1-cache2.syd.dav.net.au)
Date: November 12, 2002 11:55PM

<HTML>Jon! We don't all sound like that! :-)

I am quite envious of people who can imitate this inflection. My linguistics lecturer tried to coach me, but to no avail.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: November 13, 2002 12:21AM

<HTML>Just watch Neighbours until brain dead, and find yourself? Like, talking? Like, this?

I'm not sure why it caught on, although I reckon Aussie soaps and a mass loss of confidence might have something to do with it. I'm not entirely convinced it's entirely Australian tho'.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.