New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Literature already invaded by Thursday Next
Posted by: stephanie wahl (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 04, 2002 05:20AM

<HTML>Hello all -

Having just finished the excellent and very entertaining "Eyre Affair" I have become suspicious that Miss Thursday Next has been re-arranging and disrupting literature for quite some time now without the general public knowing it. For instance I am now convinced that it was Thursday who knocked on Coleridge's door, jolting him out of his drug induced stupor and thus interrrupting the composition of "Kubla Khan". That "someone calling on business from Porlock" always sounded like a cover up to me and now we know why! Maybe the next book could explain why Spec-Ops wanted the poem to remain unfinished. Or maybe it was a Goliath conspiracy??
Has anyone else picked up Thursday's trail in other works? Perhaps - since she is so familliar with the Bronte's - she could tell us what happened to Emily Bronte's mysterious second novel.

- Stephanie</HTML>

Re: Literature already invaded by Thursday Next
Posted by: gareth john (---.soton.ac.uk)
Date: April 05, 2002 09:56AM

<HTML>Douglas Adams did the "Man from Porlock" bit in "Dick Gently's Holistic detective Agency"- so it wasn't Thursday!</HTML>

Posted by: talpianna (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 07, 2002 10:44AM

<HTML>Could she have been the mysterious Third Murderer in Macbeth? Really there to save Banquo's sons?</HTML>

Posted by: steve (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 16, 2002 10:21PM

<HTML>Hmm. That's a good point? Perhaps Fleance has some signifigance other than that shown in Macbeth. Or perhaps Thursday was just a tad jealous her dad got to change Shakespeare but she did not.</HTML>

Posted by: kate howell (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: May 08, 2002 08:44PM

<HTML>As a classroom assistant in Lancashire, it is my responsibility to deliver the Additional literacy programme to several keen eight year olds.Imagine my alarm last Tuesday to discover that all the spelling options for the 'i' phoneme are missing from government issue text books.Fear this could be the start of something phonetically and politically embarassing.Normally when something goes missing in school we search everybodies tray ,but this hardly seems appropriate in this case ! If Miss Next and that rather dashing Mr.Bowden Cable could see their way to righting this wrong ( or should that be writing) I'd be so pleased.</HTML>

Posted by: kate howell (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: May 08, 2002 08:44PM

<HTML>As a classroom assistant in Lancashire, it is my responsibility to deliver the Additional literacy programme to several keen eight year olds.Imagine my alarm last Tuesday to discover that all the spelling options for the 'i' phoneme are missing from government issue text books.Fear this could be the start of something phonetically and politically embarassing.Normally when something goes missing in school we search everybodies tray ,but this hardly seems appropriate in this case ! If Miss Next and that rather dashing Mr.Bowden Cable could see their way to righting this wrong ( or should that be writing) I'd be so pleased.</HTML>

Posted by: anon (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 14, 2002 03:54PM

<HTML>I think she must also have made her way into _Little Women_, as in the version of the book referred to in _Lost in a Good Book_ Beth dies - which of course she doesn't in the version current in our world.</HTML>

Posted by: Jasper Fforde (---.man.dial.ntli.net)
Date: July 16, 2002 11:25AM

<HTML>Well, that's a moot point, depending on which version you are reading. In 'Little Women' (UK) she doesn't die, but in 'Good Wives' (UK) the sequel, she does. The problem is that the Americans never considered them two books, the second part being generally called 'Little Women part 2' or even published with Book 1. The way I see it is that whoever stopped Beth dying in 'Little Women' managed to do so with a good dose of prescription antibiotics (note her dramatic and swift recovery) but then, unknown to these same do-gooders, Jurisfiction had to set things right in book two. It's a rotten job but someone has to do it.

Seeing as Alcot was American, I went with the original title, 'Little Women' meaning books one and two. I hope this confuses things further - it's becoming a Fforde tradition!

Yrs

Jasper Fforde</HTML>

Posted by: emily (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 31, 2002 11:13AM

<HTML>Yup, I reckon some one got in to Little Women, cus the way independent Jo just manages to fall in love!! I don't know seems contrived to me, not to mention out of character!? I recon she would have been more suited to a life alone femminisem and independence all the way?!!??! And Laurie's swift change from Jo to Amy, all a little to neat and conveneant for me!!!</HTML>

Posted by: aramoo (---.thls.bbc.co.uk)
Date: August 02, 2002 11:33AM

<HTML>I do hope that SpecOPs was involved in the destruction of most anglo saxon literature. It was only the knowledge that a great deal had been destroyed that enabled me to survive the experience of reading what was left at university.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.