New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
I LOVE THIS!!
Posted by: Keriann (---.organoninc.com)
Date: April 08, 2002 06:19PM

<HTML>I just wanted to say how much I LOVE this book! I cannot put it down. It is killing me to write this since it is taking me away from reading! (Did I mention that I am at work - sitting at my desk - doing nothing - not even answering the phone - since 9:00 a.m. - except reading this book???)

By the way, how different will the UK version of "Lost in a Good Book" be from the US? I don't think I can wait until Jan 2003 if I can read the same thing in July 2002! Any ideas?

Thank you so much for such a wonderful book!

Kind regards,

Keriann</HTML>

Re: I LOVE THIS!!
Posted by: Emily (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 09, 2002 04:20AM

<HTML>Keriann,
I know how you feel. I just finished this book last night and I absolutely love it! It took me just two days to read it with a few breaks, that is pretty good for me!
I am not sure how different the UK version is from the US. Ideas anyone?</HTML>

Posted by: Andrea (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 09, 2002 05:43AM

<HTML>I've just bought an American copy so I can see, should have it by the end of the week. This will be my 4th copy. The first paperback has fallen apart after being loaned out so much (and I only got it at Christmas), the hardback is a first and is safe <G>, the second paperback is about to be reread by me before being loaned out and this one comming is an Amerian hard back and looks nicely different. I will be interested to see what bits the publishers have changed because they think Americans cant work out what it means.

I'm not saying there that I think Americans cant understand other cultures, just that from what I have seen from other translations (mainly Terry Pratchett) publishers don't think they can. (Hence the requests from Merkin friends for original versions).

Andrea</HTML>

Posted by: Keriann (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 09, 2002 10:50AM

<HTML>Andrea,

No offense taken. That is why I asked. The English have words that are common to them that us Americans look at and scratch our heads! If the difference is not too great, I am sure I could figure what certain things mean. I have a good friend who is from England and she will be able to help translate!

Let me know what you find the differences to be. Thanks!</HTML>

Posted by: McClain (---.se.client2.attbi.com)
Date: April 19, 2002 07:21PM

<HTML>I am having so much fun reading this book. I love it! And the website is fun as well. I agree - I can't wait until 2003 for an American version...</HTML>

Posted by: Becky Dowd (---.58.73.174.Dial1.Jacksonville1.Level3.net)
Date: May 06, 2002 05:03PM

<HTML>I have indeed just finished TN-1 and could not put it down! (Fortunately, I started (and finished) on Sunday so did not have to read under my desk at work). It's going to be torture to have to wait for TN-2. I am recommending, nay RECOMMENDING, this to everyone!</HTML>

Posted by: emma miskin (195.126.128.---)
Date: July 24, 2002 01:04PM

<HTML>I agree!! I stumbled upon the first TN-1 and introduced as many peeps as I could to it. Wow!! Have just finished TN-2 and have also passed it on. Dont know how I'm going to manage until the next installment.... Hopefully this bizarre website will mean I wont be starved Next and Fforde escapades!!

thanks</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.nv.iinet.net.au)
Date: October 22, 2002 09:43AM

<HTML>Speaking of Merkins, did anyone know that the word "merkinn" used to mean "pubic wig"?? Syphillis, etc and the treatments thereof very often led to baldnerss in the .. er pubic region, and wiugs were required to conceal this. Please do not ask me how I know this.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.