New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: oops
Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 03, 2002 08:52PM

<HTML>Has anyone else noticed the Gloria discrepancy? On page 34, Lord Volescamper says to Thursday, "I think we met at my niece Gloria's wedding - who did she marry again?" Thursday replies, "My cousin Orville." But on page 68, Gloria turns up as the wife of Wilbur, and on page 70 Orville's wife is referred to as Charlotte.

I mean, this has got to be old news by now, hasn't it? There's got to be some post way back in the listings about it from when LIAGB first came out. I just haven't found it. Perhaps I'm being klutzy too.</HTML>

Re: Gloria
Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 03, 2002 08:54PM

<HTML>I think this is covered by the Upgrade, which is why I didn't mention it (cough)</HTML>

Re: Gloria
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 03, 2002 08:57PM

<HTML>Damn, forgot about Miss Vavoom. I had to hide her poster from my mother, so didn't have anyhting to jog my memory...</HTML>

Re: banoffee pie
Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: December 04, 2002 09:19AM

<HTML>I make a fab alternative to banoffee pie, but with stewed apples in stead. Called, quite cleverly I feel, Topple Pie (apploffee just seemed a bit much).

Rob can testify to this...</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: December 04, 2002 10:04AM

<HTML>Yep. I'll testify to that.

Extra special banoffee pie can be made by using chocolate digestives for the
base and sprinkling a 'Flake' on top.</HTML>

Posted by: dave (212.158.104.---)
Date: December 04, 2002 10:07AM

<HTML>Extra-special? I thought that was how you normally made it? ;-)

If you want to be really flash, use plain chocolate hob-nobs and ginger biscuits mixed up.

Damn, 10 past 10 and I'm hungry already....</HTML>

Posted by: Rob Johnson (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: December 04, 2002 10:16AM

<HTML>That's how I normally make it for you because
you're extra special !

I'm alarmingly peckish and have to wait till 1:00 to entertain the 6th formers
over lunch...</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 04, 2002 10:23AM

<HTML>Will you lot shut up ... I'm supposed to be on a diet! And I need comfort food to assuage the pangs caused by the Shakespeare's mother disaster .... aagh</HTML>

Notes on the notes on the book
Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: December 04, 2002 04:44PM

<HTML>p.33; Cirencester; market town in Gloucestershire, about 25 miles north west of Swindon. It used to be pronounced 'Sissiter', but so many incomers live there now that most people call it 'Sirensester'. It's not just foreigners who get confused, see.

----- As far as I know, it's been called 'Sirensester' for at least 3 generations, I'll check though

p.39; South Cerney; village in Gloucestershire, near to Cirencester, 10 miles from Swindon. It's very nice, I understand, although I've never been there myself.

----- I've been there, it's a bit like Penge.

p.76; matter is mainly empty space; this theory is no longer widely held by subatomic scientists. Apparently there isn't any empty space because the subatomic particles are never actually in one place at any given time. And anyway they are not discrete lumps of matter circling about one another like miniature planets, but 'shells' that fit over one another in some way. Search me.
----- Ah, a physics'y one, I knew the last few years hadn't been in vain, I know this one. Empty space is not empty, it's full of, well lots of things, so called 'Vacum Fluctuations'. Due to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle (a very Nextian part of physics that says that if you know how fast something is going you cannot know exactally where it is) it is possible to 'borrow' energy from the universe for a very, very small amount of time (about a hundreth, of a millionth, of a millionth of a millionth of a second). From this it is theoretically possible to borrow enough energy to create a particle (using the only equation that everybody knows E=mc^2), and it turns out this sort of thing happens all the time, leading empty space to be anything but. A seathing bubbling mass of shortlived particles. Truth is stranger than fiction in the quantum universe.

p.102; looped behind the Crunch; proponents of the Big Bang theory of creation sometimes speculate that one day all the energy created by the Bang will run down (entropy), gravity will take over, and all the matter expanding across the Universe will reverse direction, collapsing back onto itself in the Big Crunch. Which will then be followed by another Big Bang, and so on.
---- Ah another bit of physics. Whether the universe will collapse into a 'big crunch' or keep on expanding forever is a topic of argument between physists. It all depends on whether the universe is curved or flat aparently.

p.105; goldfishes to predict earthquakes; canaries down mines, yes, but has anyone heard of this peculiar practice, and if so, how does it work?
----- Other anmals that are thought to predict earthquakes/volcanoes include: Dogs, birds, turtles and, of course, cats.

p.133; Oldspot; the Gloucester Old Spot is a breed of pig.
----- Also the name of several pubs.

p.261; Marmite; yeast and vegetable extract, inexplicably popular for spreading on toast etc. Salty, smelly, brown goo. Known as Vegemite in Australia.
----- Either you love it or hate it. I love it myself.

p.269; Barchester; fictional setting for Anthony Trollope's political/clerical novels. (Never mind a way in, is there a way out again?)
----- Isn't also the name of a town in 'The Archers' (long running BBC radio soap)?

p.293; ENSA; The Entertainments National Service Association, which provided varying quality of entertainment to wartime troops. Alleged also to stand for 'Every Night Something Awful'.
------ I think this one's from Spike Milligan but I can't find the bloody reference right now.

Oh, and to anyone following Ben's banoffee pie recipie. When you boil the can of condensed milk, <b>don't let it boil dry</b>. Unless it's not your kitchen, in which case it's quite funny.</HTML>

Re: Notes on the notes on the book
Date: December 04, 2002 06:26PM

<HTML>Erm, good point - for the unitinitiated the can should be intact or the condensed milk will ooze out everywhere, but as Fuzz points out don't let the pan boil dry or it'll be like the military have designed a hand grenade that also rots the enemies teeth - that'll teach'em, what?</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 04, 2002 08:30PM

<HTML>Right - glad to see that a) someone got the Penge gag, and b) my physics passed muster (just). All I know about quantum and astrophysics was gleaned from the Science of Discworld. Ahem.

I forget where I read the Cirencester thing, but it stuck in my mind - I stand by it!

Isn't the town in The Archers Ambridge?

ENSA; yes, Spike does mention this, but the term was in currency long before - about 5 mins after the first rotten act in a NAAFI.

And can I point out that the grammarsite attack that caused the Shakespeare's mother futz has now been sorted - a Jurisfiction SWAT team went in and expurgated it (thanks, Estella and Harris!)</HTML>

Date: December 04, 2002 08:34PM

<HTML>The village in the Archers is Ambridge, the twon nearby is Borchester.

How the hell do I know this I hear you ask. Simple - I listen to the news after ISIHAC and can never turn the wireless off quick enough.</HTML>

Posted by: Carla (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: December 04, 2002 09:12PM

<HTML>Marmite is AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</HTML>

Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: December 05, 2002 12:04AM

<HTML>Well, OK, I wasn't sure about the Archers thing (my excuse is; my mum's an Archers fan). And marmite is quite nice, and suposed to be quite good for you, but not for everyone I supose. My flatmate almost refused to let it in the house.</HTML>

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: December 05, 2002 11:07AM

<HTML>A German flatmate of mine came back from the pub looking for
stuff to put on toast and came across Marmite. He put on a
nice thick spread, choked and nearly threw up. We came to
see to commotion and laughed heartily...</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: December 05, 2002 11:45AM

<HTML>Has he ever recovered from the Marmite overdose?</HTML>

Date: December 05, 2002 12:25PM

<HTML>Actually, I rather like Marmite, and it's also an essential ingredient of vegetarian gravy (served with nut roast, in case any carnivores are wondering). I'm not going to tell you what Minsky thinks of vegetarianism, because I can't spell the particular swear word he uses in his own language. But hey, each to their own. Anyway, don't tell him I said this, but Minsky miaows at me like a maniac every time I open the honey jar in his presence. Yes, Mr I'm-So-Hard-I-Creak-When-I-Walk has a terrible sweet tooth... ;-)</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: December 05, 2002 12:27PM

<HTML>vegemite is nice too. Smoother in taste.</HTML>

Posted by: Adam Brierley (212.137.30.---)
Date: December 05, 2002 12:41PM

<HTML>I find that Bisto Vegetarian Gravy Granules are an essential ingredient of vegetarian gravy (to have with sausage (Linda Mac), mash and cabbage).</HTML>

Date: December 05, 2002 12:45PM

<HTML>Sorry... once tried Linda Mac sausages. Never again! Like I say, each to their own. I tend to prefer things that don't pretend to be meat. I'll let you have my nut roast recipe if you're interested [warning: contains nuts].</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.