New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Notes on the notes on the book
Posted by: Adam Brierley (212.137.30.---)
Date: December 05, 2002 01:09PM

<HTML>Actually I'm only half Veggie. My girlfriend is veggie so when I'm at home so am I, when I'm out I eat whatever is nearest usually.</HTML>

Posted by: polly (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 05, 2002 01:56PM

<HTML>Another great job, Jon.

I think it was Elizabeth Schwartzkopf who selected 8 of her own recordings on Desert Island discs. Callas may well have done it too, though. The format has been much parodied, including in one of Tom Stoppard's plays ( I forget the title; it was one of the less memorable ones). The usual old joke about Bach nicking Procul Harum's "Whiter Shade of Pale" crops up.

You don't cook then? Other than Spag Bol, that is? Take the nearest prose portal into one of St Delia of Smith's books. Shallots and spring onions are entirely different - er- onions (avoiding the culinary confusion of introducing kettles of fish). Apparently, supermarkets are no longer allowed to call them spring onions, as Brussels deem it season-ist or some silly idea. Our colonial cousins (ducking attacks with blunt objects from AAC here, g, ) may know them as scallions. Shallots are small, mild onions, similar to the picked variety.

On a point of total pedantry - 60 women hung? Now, if you'd said men, maybe. I think the women may have been hanged. OK, now pick out all the grammatical errors in my posts :)) (Actually, please don't, it may take too long!)

Oh - I hate Marmite too. And Wagon wheels. Not too sure about the two combined though, it could be an improvement on them individually, but I'm not volunteering to try.</HTML>

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: December 05, 2002 02:03PM

<HTML>Isn't scallion one of those words that went other with the colonists and then went extinct here?</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: December 05, 2002 02:04PM

<HTML>I would still call them scallions, but then I'm a geordie and we've got our own rules..</HTML>

Date: December 05, 2002 02:10PM

<HTML>What do you get if you cross a geordie and an Essex Girl?

Madge Cavendish (check out the more pedantry thread for details)</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 05, 2002 02:30PM

<HTML>Replying to Polly, I can cook, at a spagbog-type level, but am sadly out of practice since I acquired a version 3.1 girlfriend (since upgraded to Wife 2.1.1). Said kitchen operative has a full set of the Delia, and conjures miracles from them. Since she likes cooking and doesn't work for a living my kitchen skills are not required. (Btw, the brother can sling a mean wok himself).

I was not aware of the shallott/spring onion dichotomy, and I thought scallion was a rude word in Elizabethan, so I am much enlightened.

Keep posting corrections/additions/disagreements - anyone who knows the Annotated Pratchett Files will be aware of the sort of standard I aspire to - there's a way to go yet.</HTML>

Posted by: Adam Brierley (212.137.30.---)
Date: December 05, 2002 02:56PM

<HTML>So what's a rapscallion then (as in "Ooh he never did, well the cheeky little rapscallion"), or did I make that up?

They'll still be spring onions in by mind, in much the same way as Snickers Bars are actually Marathons.</HTML>

Date: December 05, 2002 02:59PM

<HTML>Of course, the Spartans fought a famous battle there, but it was still called Snicasopolis in those days.</HTML>

Date: December 05, 2002 03:01PM

<HTML>I'm really not old enough for that one to have stuck, although it still has cultural resonances that I can relate to.

They're called 'Opal Fruits', dammit!

Weren't they Vauxhall Fruits on the continent though?</HTML>

Posted by: Adam (212.137.30.---)
Date: December 05, 2002 03:03PM

<HTML>Oooooh.

Quick but still oooooh</HTML>

Date: December 05, 2002 03:03PM

<HTML>Look, I've told you before; cars - sweets - cars - sweets. See the difference?</HTML>

Date: December 05, 2002 03:04PM

<HTML>Erm, no?

They're all brightly coloured and bad for your teeth if you eat them....</HTML>

Date: December 05, 2002 03:12PM

<HTML>Hmm. Some interesting marketing ideas there ....

Rowntrees Direct Injection Twin-Cam Pastilles....

Ford Focus - now in five refreshing fruit flavours ....</HTML>

Date: December 05, 2002 03:16PM

<HTML><marquee>........<font color="red">red lolly</font>.............<font color="yellow">yellow lorry</font>......</marquee>

See how easy it is to get confused?</HTML>

Posted by: Adam (212.137.30.---)
Date: December 05, 2002 03:17PM

<HTML>Bizarrely a Twingo is a car not a chocolate bar as it sounds.</HTML>

Date: December 05, 2002 03:18PM

<HTML>Damn ... I've got my tongue stuck in my teeth trying to say that ....</HTML>

Date: December 05, 2002 03:20PM

<HTML>Anyway, if you really want something to groan at, our kid, go to the Rotten Script thread ....</HTML>

Posted by: Rob Johnson (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: December 05, 2002 03:59PM

<HTML>I do have a quick question

As Opal fruits were made to make your mouth water,
how are Starburst made ?

I'm with Adam, I still ask for Marathons when peanut Mars Bars are required.</HTML>

Date: December 05, 2002 04:02PM

<HTML>And we all know what has a hazelnut in every bite, don't we?</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: December 05, 2002 04:05PM

<HTML>a bag of hazelnuts?</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.