New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
hopkins
Posted by: Kevin Wilkins (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: July 14, 2002 01:06PM

<HTML>Could some come up with an reason why prosecuting counsel is called Hopkins, please? If he had been called Perkins I would have laughed.

Perhaps then it is an outbreak of the Alternative Actor Replacement/Displacement Virus (Anthony Robert Kylie variant)? To explain: Reading manuals in the Great Library shows that dialogue such as "You know who he is. He's whatshisname, from thingummybob" is just as common in first drafts of books as it is in real spoken life. The AARD virus gains entry to these books via this dialgoue and feeds off it, replacing it the characters names with its own genetic preference. In the case of the ARK variant, famous people with the names Anthony, Robert or Kylie are inserted and replaced from time to time.

It could be of course therefore that the rest of you are reading TN2 with Prosecuting Counsel named Andrews, Hardy or even in very rare cases Minogue.

Kevin

ps An answer to this first question would actually be appreciated!</HTML>

Re: hopkins
Posted by: Jasper Fforde (---.man.dial.ntli.net)
Date: July 16, 2002 10:07AM

<HTML>Hi Kevin - the prosecuting counsel is named after Matthew Hopkins, which was the name of the Witchfinder General, a self-appointed and self-styled 'lawyer' who made a large sum of money from persecuting women in 1644.

Jasper Fforde</HTML>

Posted by: talpianna (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 18, 2002 10:34AM

<HTML>Jasper, I think you are being a bit unfair to Matthew Hopkins. He was no bigot; he persecuted EVERYBODY!

In fact, though elderly women were the principal victims of the witchcraft persecutions, substantial citizens of the male persuasion were often denounced. This of course had nothing to do with the fact that the denouncee's property was confiscated and the denouncer got a cut of the take......</HTML>

Posted by: Sid Linde (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: July 26, 2002 11:01PM

<HTML>I really like the names-although Landen does confuse me? Is landing on Park Lane a good thing or a bad thing(depending on if you own it already) or just another well chosen name to make us giggle?
Sid
p.s. i am new to this site and if this has already been asked and answered i apologise</HTML>

Posted by: andy (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 30, 2002 10:09AM

<HTML>Sounds like Londen? That is where the afore mentioned Park Lane is to be found. Well, one of the more famous ones at least.</HTML>

Date: July 30, 2002 10:10AM

<HTML>Sounds like London? That is where the afore mentioned Park Lane is to be found. Well, one of the more famous ones at least.</HTML>

Date: July 30, 2002 10:16AM

<HTML>Spot the mistake - no prize.</HTML>

Date: July 30, 2002 10:16AM

<HTML>Spot the mistake.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah B (194.117.133.---)
Date: August 12, 2002 10:25PM

<HTML>Instead of spotting the mistake, could we perhaps polkadot it?

Excuse my sense of humour it is rather like old wood, ie warped.

Humhum...

Sarah.</HTML>

Posted by: Sid Linde (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: August 12, 2002 11:31PM

<HTML>Stripes? Humour is like a chocolate shop there are lots of varieties and it is fun to try them all, except you then get stomach ache either from laughing or eating too much chocolate.
Sid</HTML>

Posted by: Linzi Mathews (---.nhs.uk)
Date: September 09, 2002 01:02PM

<HTML>There was a not-so-well-know English actor called Dinsdale Landen....... so unfortunately my poor brain pictures Landen Parke-Laine looking just like him.... oh dear.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.