New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Anton D Next
Posted by: caroline (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 18, 2002 08:02PM

<HTML>Have just finished the first book and about to embark on the second. Probably I am being a dodo but can't work out why Thursday's brother is called Anton.
Please put me out of my misery!
PS Enjoy the names of the characters immensely especially Braxton Hicks!</HTML>

Re: Anton D Next
Posted by: Sarah B (194.117.133.---)
Date: August 12, 2002 10:21PM

<HTML>The 'D' actually stands for 'DeLast'. Perhaps I don't have to explain why?

Sarah.

PS If you enjoyed the names in the first book, you just wait for the names in the second.</HTML>

Re: Anton D Next
Posted by: Jasper Fforde (---.man.dial.ntli.net)
Date: August 13, 2002 10:48AM

<HTML>Anton is named thus because it is vaguely similar (in sound at least) to Nolan, who was a Captain during the original charge of the Light Brigade (1854) and had the disaster blamed on him. While Lords Cardigan and Lucan dithered and argued on the field after receiving Raglan's ambiguous third message "Cavalry to advance and take advantage of any opportunity to recover the Heights. They will be supported by infantry, which have been ordered (to) (A)advance on two fronts."
Lucan, apparently, spoke to Nolan (who had brought the message) and said: "Attack sir? Attack what? What guns, Sir?" To which Nolan replied (allegedly) with an arm pointing up the valley from where the Russian guns were occluded from their sight: "There, my Lord, is your enemy, there are your guns!"
Of course, we only have Lucan's word for this as Nolan lost his head (literally) a few minutes later as the cavalry charged the guns.
Further reading: 'The Reason Why' by Cecil Woodham-Smith.

Jasper Fforde</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.