New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Joe Martlet
Posted by: Paul Dawson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 10, 2002 03:40PM

<HTML>Please forgive me if this has already been answered in a previous posting, but I am curious to know the answer to the Joe Martlet question posed in the notes to LIAGB.

The best I can do is as follows:

Martlet is, according to the OED, an archaic term for a swift.

Johnathan Swift 1667 - 1745 was the novellist and satirist who wrote Gulliver's Travels.

A seperate non-fictional Isaac Gulliver was known in the 18th and 19th centuries as the "King of Smugglers".

Our own Joe Martlet is involved in policing cheese smuggling.

I know that this is tenuous at best, esp. because there is no link to cheese, no explanation of "Joe" and it's really not very neat. However I would like to know the real answer.....

Paul Dawson.</HTML>

Re: Joe Martlet
Posted by: jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 10, 2002 03:51PM

<HTML>So would I like to know the real answer ... I ran Joe Martlet through the anagram creator several times, but came up with nothing cheese-related. Mind you, after Irma Cohen Kaylieu I have concluded that there are some things beyond the ken of an averagely warped mind.

Btw, welcome, Paul. Pull up a chair, have some noodles ....</HTML>

Posted by: Minsky Cat (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 10, 2002 05:13PM

<HTML>I don't get to go to the noodle party because I'm a cat. Huh. It's not as if I weren't an active member of this Fforum.

Nice to meet you, though, Paul. Any time you need a purr, you know who to call.</HTML>

Posted by: poestscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 10, 2002 06:18PM

<HTML>That's because cats can't suck...

Welcome, Paul - I see Jon got to say it first this time as I was 'working'....</HTML>

Date: December 10, 2002 07:05PM

<HTML>I found 2 references in Shakespeare to Martlets if that helps anyone?

What many men desire! that many’ may be meant
By the fool multitude, that choose by show,
Not learning more than the fond eye doth teach;
Which pries not to the interior; but, like the martlet,
Builds in the weather on the outward wall,
Even in the force and road of casualty.
I will not choose what many men desire,
Because I will not jump with common spirits
And rank me with the barbarous multitude.

The Merchant of Venice ( (1596 - 1598)) act 2, sc. 9, l. 25

and

duncan This castle hath a pleasant seat; the air
Nimbly and sweetly recommends itself
Unto our gentle senses.
banquo This guest of summer,
The temple-haunting martlet, does approve
By his loved mansionry that the heaven's breath
Smells wooingly here: no jutty, frieze,
Buttress, nor coign of vantage, but this bird
Hath made his pendent bed and procreant cradle:
Where they most breed and haunt, I have observed,
The air is delicate.

Macbeth ( (1606)) act 1, sc. 6, l. 1

I am of course none the wiser thanks to this.....</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2002 07:34PM

<HTML>Ben, cats can suck, ask anyone who owns a prematurely weaned Siamese type cat! They tend to suck wool (blankets, fleece clothing, humans' arms, etc!) Other breeds do it as well, but Siamese tend to be somewhat neurotic to start with, so that explains how all this could get started!

Oh and PS, welcome Paul!</HTML>

Date: December 10, 2002 07:54PM

<HTML>oops - I accidentally inclued the word 'can't' in that statement...

Joke, btw

I was confused by the fact my dog can't blow....

Is Joe Martlett a Gerry Anderson reference - you know Captain Scarlet, Joe 90....</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 10, 2002 08:15PM

<HTML>I find the thought of Martlet being a Gerry Anderson reference quite incredible. But not half as incredible as the thought of Ben doing some work.

There you go, Paul, in one brief burst we have successfully introduced you to all the essential ffeatures of the fforum; off-colour humour, cats, and a complete inability to stick to the subject.

Why is he running away?</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 10, 2002 08:19PM

<HTML>Hi, Paul - this is Minsky's owner. Or, according to Minsky, his staff. Nice to meet you.

Let me just be quite clear about the reasons Minsky is not going to the noodle party. Reason 1: he's blinking dangerous, especially if he smells fish or chicken anywhere in the vicinity. Reason 2: after the unfortunate business with the book of Garfield cartoons, he's gated anyway. If anyone's got a convenient Prose Portal, I'd appreciate borrowing it so I could get in and rescue Odie from the tree.

Wish I could help you over Joe Martlet, but sadly I can't. You've got me wondering about it too now. I shall be lying there in the small hours cogitating over it. Yup, that's how sad I am...</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 10, 2002 08:25PM

<HTML>Can she say that? ...... no, cogitating ....oh.</HTML>

Date: December 10, 2002 08:26PM

<HTML>I'm not even going to ask what you thought I said. It's lucky I'm a good typist, isn't it?</HTML>

Date: December 10, 2002 10:44PM

<HTML>Well, it's not what you say, it's the way that you say it...

And, yes, the work thing is true. I even managed to get so much data I had a snotty email off the IT department pointing out that my allocation was currently 348% full, and could I not do that in future...

Is this incredible in the same way as inflammable is the same as flammable - and therefore quite likely to be credded?

Oh, and did anybody watch the documentary on extreme ironing that I'm watching now? I actually heard about this a year or so ago, but it's now reached British TV screens. Amazing what they're reduced to showing on Grandstand these days, isn't it?

<a href="http://extremeironing.com/">[extremeironing.com]; - housework has never been so fun!</HTML>

Anton Next
Date: December 11, 2002 12:58AM

<HTML>I've been thinking about all the names in the books and I've noticed that Anton Next is an anagram of non-extant.

Apt since he no longer exists.*

Possibly more apt for his father who's name we don't know but who no longer exists in a much more fundamental way.

I can tell I won't be happy until I've got an explanation for all the names in all the books. I just wish they were all as simple as Kannon and Phodder - that made me laugh out loud.

Paul

*I was suprised that he didn't turn up in Thursday's memory along with Landen and Acheron...</HTML>

Re: Anton Next
Date: December 11, 2002 09:10AM

<HTML>Well spotted that man, but his full name is in fact Anton de Laste Next ....what can be made of this?

And possibly his absence from Thursday's memory is because he's hidden behind a door marked 'too painful'.</HTML>

Date: December 11, 2002 12:38PM

<HTML>While we're on the subject of Thursday's brothers, can anyone explain to me where Joffy gets his name? It's either something really complicated and devious, or else it's so simple I've completely missed it.</HTML>

Date: December 11, 2002 12:57PM

<HTML>See <A HREF"http://www.thursdaynext.com/family.html" here A/> for a full Next family tree, including Joffy's full name ....</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: December 11, 2002 12:59PM

<HTML>err, was there a link missing there?</HTML>

Date: December 11, 2002 01:00PM

<HTML>'Ello, that went wrong! Try clicking
<a href="http://www.thursdaynext.com/family.html">here</a> for that family tree.</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: December 11, 2002 01:02PM

<HTML>If granny Next died in 1968, who does Thursday talk to in LIAGB?</HTML>

Date: December 11, 2002 01:09PM

<HTML>Not only that, but Granny says her husband was eradicated, which doesn't seem to be the case on the tree.

So, either, 1. Granny should actually be Granny Horseposture (all Round the Horne fans will know where that name and Ganderpoke come from) or

2. Charles' theory that Granny is in fact Thursday holds water.</HTML>

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.