New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Anton Next
Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: December 11, 2002 02:07PM

<HTML>I also subscribe to that idea, being in the middle of LIAGB. It fits with the general feeling of the book.

I notice Mr Fforde is being v.quiet on this matter....</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: December 11, 2002 02:27PM

<HTML>Of course he is - he's letting us all have a lot of fun arguing about it! Paul Darrow does this with his "Blake's 7" character, Avon. Paul obviously knows what Avon's motivations were, but if he came right out and told us, the fans wouldn't be able to have eternal discussions about whether Avon was a) wronged and misunderstood, b) a great deal nicer than he liked to let on, c) genuinely unpleasant, or d) just plain barking mad.

For what it's worth, I think Granny Next is Thursday too. :-)</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.abel.net.uk)
Date: December 11, 2002 02:34PM

<HTML>There are signs here and there that the five-book TN sequence will actually have a complete story arc, and it may be some time before the Truth is found Out There, but for what it's worth I believe Thursday's ultimate task (apart from saving the world a lot) is to rescue herself from a lonely, Landen-less future-in-the-past as Granny.

Of course the thing about five-part story arcs is that they haven't to be short-circuited by somebody shouting "Get the hell out of our galaxy" half-way through.</HTML>

Date: December 11, 2002 02:36PM

<HTML>It does rather spoil the effect, I've found.

Now out on DVD too. Oooh, I can feel my visa card calling me..</HTML>

Posted by: All-American-Cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2002 06:01PM

<HTML>Maybe Bowden is Thursday's son - Just a thought [poking a stick into the hornets nest] You never know...if Granny Next is, indeed, Thursday, then it is possible that Bowden could be her son, depending on the time period she popped back into and if she were pregnant at that point. Of couse she probably would have had to pop back in and out a few times for that to have happened, but this is Jasper we're talking about!</HTML>

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: December 11, 2002 07:38PM

<HTML>Nah, her son's in the Chronoguard, helping try to track down his grandfather.

Remember the younger Chronoguard chap at Thursday's wedding who told her and Landen that if they ever had a son, and he wanted to join the Chronoguard, to please try to talk him out of it?</HTML>

Date: December 11, 2002 07:50PM

<HTML>OH YEAH!!!!!! (haven't been taking my ginko, obviously -WINK)</HTML>

Posted by: fuzz (---.cableinet.co.uk)
Date: December 11, 2002 09:54PM

<HTML>Anyway, if it's a five book arc, sods law it'll get canceled after the 4th.
disgruntledFarscapefanfuzz</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 11, 2002 09:56PM

<HTML>Farscape .... isn't that the one with the muppets and the Aussie bird with big ...oh, yeah, I remember now.</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 08:50PM

<HTML>Has it occurred to anyone that Thursday's son and Thursday's father may actually be the same person? That, naturally, would make Thursday her own grandmother. Or is that theory just <i>too</i> ffar-ffetched?</HTML>

Date: December 12, 2002 09:06PM

<HTML>you may be on to something!</HTML>

Solved?
Posted by: Paul Dawson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 13, 2002 01:37AM

<HTML>After much internet trawling I think I have found where the name Joe Martlet comes from.

Look at www.martlet-online.com/team.html

although I still fail to see the cheese connection - oh well.</HTML>

Re: Solved?
Date: December 13, 2002 10:01AM

<HTML>I think we can call that well solved! Go and claim your t-shirt, Paul!

.. and looking at the site, doesn't it make you feel like (in Twila's phrase) a major peon?</HTML>

Posted by: Paul Dawson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 13, 2002 11:47AM

<HTML>How do I claim my exciting free T-shirt?

Would it be right to do so when such names as Yorrick Kaine and Lord Volescamper still escape explanation?</HTML>

Date: December 13, 2002 11:53AM

<HTML>I think if we're going to go round issuing exciting T-shirts, someone ought at least to design them first. I have a suggestion: use one of Escher's tessellations, in the manner of Thursday's car (but perhaps use something other than <i>Reptiles</i> for a bit of variety). I'm not much good at drawing but I have got some fabric paints, so if any artistic genius out there wants to outline the design I'll be more than happy to colour it. (Warning for Paul: if you don't like wild colours, get someone else to do it! I am the lady who's been known to wear emerald green with fuchsia pink just for the sheer fun of it.)</HTML>

Date: December 13, 2002 11:54AM

<HTML>some kind of tasteful dodo motif?</HTML>

Date: December 13, 2002 11:54AM

<HTML>Well, I dunno ... suppose you drop Mr. Ff a line (using the e-mail link somewhere on this site) and see what happens?

I must admit I am a little reluctant to delve too deeply into every mysterious name for fear of uncovering spoilers to future books ... they can't all be as harmless as Martlet, surely?</HTML>

Posted by: poestscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 13, 2002 07:23PM

<HTML>All that chasing to discover it's a piece of product placement????

Twila - how do I sort out that head slapping thing?</HTML>

Date: December 13, 2002 07:38PM

<HTML>well, the first thing is to make sure you've laid off the sauce for a while...you don't want to slap your nose instead of your forehead...

Then stand in front of the mirror and repeatedly slap yourself on the forehead, using an open palm, of course. Then as you get to the point you're hitting the same spot time after time, gradually close your eyes and keep smacking away. This trains your muscles to only hit the correct spot.

Practice for at least 10 minutes a day. After about 2 weeks of doing this, you should be okay to smack your forehead even while drunk without too much risk of permanently maiming your nose or eyeballs.</HTML>

Posted by: poestscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: December 13, 2002 07:56PM

<HTML>Damaging your eyeballs through drunkeness? Sounds like meths rather than slapping yourself</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.