New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
If you like Fforde...
Posted by: Henry Potts (---.umds.ac.uk)
Date: August 19, 2002 02:35PM

<HTML>I'm currently most enjoying "Lost in a Good Book" and Jasper Fforde's style reminds me of another author I like called Simon Bucher-Jones. There's a great Bucher-Jones novel called "Ghost Devices", which is sadly out of print, but if you should ever see a copy, jump on it! Fforde ffans may also enjoy Bucher-Jones' Doctor Who novel co-written with Kelly Hale called "Grimm Reality".

Henry</HTML>

Re: If you like Fforde...
Posted by: Christian (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 22, 2002 09:52PM

<HTML>Thinking of authors in the Fforde vein:-

1) The Neverending Story (Michael Ende) - Jumping into books
2) Weaveworld (Clive Barker) - Jumping into carpets (kind of)
3) Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman (sp?) - Jumping *under* London
4) The Chronicles of Narnia (C.S. Lewis) - Jumping into cupboards
5) Prospero's Children (Jan Siegal) - A hybrid of #2 and #4, but involving neither carpets nor cupboards in the major plot strands. Sadly the sequel isn't as good and I've not read the third.

Just a thought

Christian</HTML>

Posted by: Dennis Walker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: August 27, 2002 06:29PM

<HTML>There is a book by Robert Heinlein in which the premise is that every story is a reality in another dimension and conversely, every reality is a story in another dimension.

Good idea, but not really a good book. It's called 'The Number of the Beast' for reasons too banal to describe. I can't really recommend it, but it is very like jumping into books.

Dennis</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.nv.iinet.net.au)
Date: October 17, 2002 05:53PM

<HTML>If you like Mr Fforde's excellent works, you may well also like Mr Gaiman's newest, "American Gods" which exaimins examins.. examns (damn I have forgotten how to SPELL Its late here.)
looks at Gods in present day America. Quite cool and also quite creepy. Good, in a head stretching way, like T E A, even if it does not make you laugh out loud in public.
Only two authors have ever made me do that- when I first read the Eyre Affair, I was on a bus. I ended up getting nearly an entire deck to myself, people were disturbed by how much I laughed, they kept leaving asap.... If I end up in a Mental hospital, we can blame terry pratchet and Jasper Fforde!!!!</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.