New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Repetitions, hestitations and, indeed, deviations...
Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: January 10, 2003 10:20PM

<HTML>Repetition - that kebab I had last night, along with several pintsa of Guiness and an obscene amount of Cognac and coffee...

Hersitation - the delay to my flight

Deviation - I was only trying to push it back through the hedge, officer.

This is, of course, my over-elaborate way of announcing my return from the mysterious province of 'North Britain', which has irritatingly failed to leave the EU and therefore fails to count for duty free. Damn them....On the plus side, however, sub-tropical Aberdeen had comfortably better weather than you soft Southerners - and our trains were still working...

So, how did I do?

On the poetry, I was well supported by the genius of William Topaz MacGonagall - quoting liberally on the train over the silv'ry Tay. On the science front, I regretfully have to inform the audience that I finally succumbed and actually did some, although I hope to return to form as soon as possible. Finally, Aberdeen is well stocked withan assortment of drinking holes. Rigorous experimentation reveals that the beer, whisky and Cognac is indeed intoxictaing. Aberdeen can also supply all your other alcoholic needs - random drunks who invite you to share a yacht, random drunks who drag you into another all-night dive, and random drunks who persuade you to have a kebab from somewhere that assumes hygiene is an American greeting.

So, all in all a complete laugh.

I even got to take some time out in Edinburgh, which was spent in the Scottish Museum doing research (old steam engines and whatnot) and buggering about on Arthur's Seat.

Anyway, will catch up throughout the fforum, but good to be back...</HTML>

Re: Repetitions, hestitations and, indeed, deviations...
Posted by: Minsky Cat (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 10, 2003 10:22PM

<HTML>Welcome back, Ben. Purrrrrrrrrr. Does Wilfred count as a random drunk?</HTML>

Date: January 10, 2003 10:44PM

<HTML>Certainly drunk...

Edinburgh was also useful for the multitude of dodo-osity - not one, not two, but THREE dodo models! Including the slimline version, the fatline version, and, for dodo fetishists everywhere - the dirty mac naked dodo! Honestly, those Scots...

It also had not one, not two, but two-and-the-biggest-drumstick-in-the-world-
EVER Great Moa (one model, one skeleton and one random leg. And a mounted thylacine (more fox like than dog-like, it has to be said).

I'm off to Pete and Dave's site to see if I can get a Rodriguez Solitaire - sort of the dodo equivalent of a whippet...</HTML>

Posted by: Jon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 10, 2003 10:48PM

<HTML>He's taking this steam engine research a bit serious, innee? ... does that mean the jokes have to be of the same quality? .... *worried*

Welcome home, anyway. The trains to Reading were apparently even more buggered than usual in your absence.</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 10, 2003 10:50PM

<HTML>Gosh. My best friend lives in Edinburgh. I bet that's something she didn't know. About the dodo models, that is.</HTML>

Date: January 10, 2003 10:54PM

<HTML>Actually got to see the oldest preserved engine in the world, no less. And I'll swear I could hear little voices going 'What happens if I press this lever here then...'

One thought about Edinburgh - that castle. Does anybody else reckon the owners were a wee bit paranoid?</HTML>

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: January 10, 2003 10:57PM

<HTML>In Edinburgh, you had to be. Ever heard of the Border Reivers?</HTML>

Date: January 10, 2003 11:01PM

<HTML>Now then Hamish .... ye'll have had ye're tea? Aye, guid .... do ye think thon sonsy English buggers can tak oor castle aff us the noo?

Aye, wull, mebbes if they were tae creep up ra drainpipes, do ye ken?

Aye, guid thocht, guid thocht ..... better put a few wee portcullises at the top of each wan, then?

(Btw, what do the Embra lot claim is the oldest engine then? And if you were in Edinburgh looking at it, does that mean you were, ha ha, <I>trainspotting</I>?)</HTML>

Date: January 10, 2003 11:30PM

<HTML>You know, somehow I knew deep in my bones that joke was coming...

And the wee paranoid people who gave us their mad, with hunting king, reckon that the oldest extant locomotive is dawdling wully, or whatever they called it.</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 12, 2003 10:41PM

<HTML>Buggering about on King Arthur's seat?? Sounds painful! ;-)</HTML>

Date: January 12, 2003 10:48PM

<HTML>Only when you slip...</HTML>

Posted by: dave (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 12, 2003 10:48PM

<HTML>Though I suppose it would very much depend on your inclination on such matters. Each to their own, I say.

Though I notice on re-reading that he declines to mention <i>which</i> Arthur upon whose seat he was, ahem, buggering about.

;-)</HTML>

Date: January 12, 2003 10:53PM

<HTML>And it wasn't rude either - it's a sort of smaller, colder Uhura or whatever they call Ayer's Rock these days... And you don't need to go to the other end of the world for it.

Talking about which, how is Oz these days?</HTML>

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: January 13, 2003 07:44PM

<HTML>I don't know what Oz is like, I'm back in plockin' Britain, thank you for reminding me *sniff* Much as I love my country, it is smaller, colder and less good at sports than I remembered. If that's possible.
Oh- and I'm staying at my parents' house in Staffordshire, with now to do and no-one to do it with and they don't believe in central (or any) heating, (at least that's what it feels like) *takes deep breath*
Anyway I'm fine, I'm sure Uluru, like most of Oz is hot and sunny. Sydney was, when I left.I'm getting the last photos developed soon, and I shall show them to you all, if I can work the scanner etc properly. Beware- the horrible sight of me in photos can cause dizzyness, light-headedness, and, sometimes, nausea.</HTML>

Re: welcome home
Date: January 13, 2003 10:36PM

<HTML>So, you copped a Blighty one, did you? Hard cheddar and all that, but, I say, cheer up old thing; I know the weather's grim, terrorists are apparently rampaging through our streets, the firemen are going back on strike and there's a new series of Friends, but look on the bright side. You have not one but two exciting serials to read on the jolly old fforum, Jasper has been writing away like billy-o and will have WOLP for us this very year, and best of all you can get a decent cup of tea.

Chin-chin!</HTML>

Date: January 13, 2003 10:38PM

<HTML>On the plus side, you can post here more often...
Not much, i know, but...</HTML>

Date: January 13, 2003 10:45PM

<HTML>And I'd threaten to come up to Staffordshire and entertain you, except I'd A) lose my air of mystery and B) scare the **** out of you...</HTML>

Ben's entertaining
Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: January 14, 2003 08:16AM

<HTML>No he wouldn't ;)</HTML>

Re: Ben's entertaining
Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: January 14, 2003 10:40AM

<HTML>Which ?

Not lose his air of mystery (what air ? what mystery ?)
Not scare her ?
Or not entertain her ??

Ooktavia: You could always come over to Leeds. There's this great noodle
restaurant we know all about...</HTML>

Re: Ben's entertaining
Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: January 14, 2003 12:14PM

<HTML>lol Rob, A and B

Leeds looked very nice the other day on tv, I might chose it as my next point of stop :)</HTML>

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.