New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

ThursdayNext :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
A discussion of all things Thursday !  
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
...that we all think eddy is cute
Posted by: poesky little critter (195.224.227.---)
Date: September 12, 2002 10:45AM

<HTML>Edster cute, seconded. Or thirded...

Good job I'm moving to Reading then, Bea... And knowing the International dialling code for Portugal has never been claimed as a party trick by my good self.

My party trick is forgetting everything I'd done, thereby allowing people the entertainment of making up a load of lies. At least, I hope I didn't do all that stuff...</HTML>

lol
Posted by: ScarletBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: September 12, 2002 11:14AM

<HTML>I still don't know Reading!
*arranging for next holiday destination :D*
(you asked me, so that your mates would believe that I'm not a 65-year-old male LOL)

Dave, don't forget you'll have to compensate for the lack of Ben posts ;) (hard job, I know... )</HTML>

Re: lol
Posted by: poester pin-up (195.224.227.---)
Date: September 12, 2002 11:36AM

<HTML>Definitely no entropic happenings today - Excel and outlook both crash as soon as I tell them to do anything. Grrrrr.</HTML>

Date: September 12, 2002 11:59AM

<HTML>have you tried talking to them gently?
or maybe they're fainting with your pint-breath? ;)

But I sympathise *hugs*
I know how HORRIBLE and AWFUL that is :(((((
And then you can't do anything....
except be online? ;)</HTML>

Posted by: poest as a newt (195.224.227.---)
Date: September 12, 2002 12:33PM

<HTML>Seems to be working now, so fingers crossed.

Currently not doing data entry. Trying to work out how much of the data I entered is actually useful. Not a lot, would be my first impression. Have done 200 entries, but now have 28,000 to go. This is not a good thing...</HTML>

EEEK!
Posted by: busybea (148.177.129.---)
Date: September 12, 2002 01:08PM

<HTML>28 THOUSAND???????
And you're supposed to finish tomorrow???????</HTML>

Re: EEEK!
Posted by: poetic justice (195.224.227.---)
Date: September 12, 2002 01:30PM

<HTML>Well, obviously I'm not finishing them...

Could ahev stayed on next week, but figure I need to start sorting my stuff out. Also can't face the sorting of the 28,000...</HTML>

ok
Posted by: traveling bee (148.177.129.---)
Date: September 12, 2002 01:37PM

<HTML>So when do you start classes?</HTML>

Re: ok
Posted by: unpoethical (195.224.227.---)
Date: September 12, 2002 02:25PM

<HTML>start 7th October, week later then I'd expected. Not really classes, more like turn up at work and start panicking. The idea is I teach myself with somebody to turn to if the whole thing looks like going bug-eyed.

Currently trying to sort out the finances of a colleague. She's panicking, but she's only in as shed load of debt because she buys so much @!#$. Every time the bank extend her overdraft she races up to, and over, the limit, and unsurprisingly they're now turning round and saying 'we won't increase it any more'.

Problem is getting her to see that a: there are ways to cut down expenditure and b: signing cheques for money you don't have is a bad thing. It's like banging your head against a wall.

Not that my finances are any better, but that's because I took a calculated risk on going to university and having the resultant debt, figuring that I cna pay it back later with the theorectically higher earnings. And indeed, I'm about to start doing so.</HTML>

Posted by: FinanceBea (148.177.129.---)
Date: September 12, 2002 02:59PM

<HTML>oooohhh very good advice and attitude

For example, I have a credit card that I use regularly, but only as a money saving device: I pay the entire balance every month (so no interests), I get an average of 1 month of credit (everything you buy will only come out of your account 1 month later) and I never buy anything for which I don't have money at the moment.

My only exception to this rule was my flat (obviously lol), that I'm paying to the bank and to my dad every month, the 2 'entities' who lent me money, lol
Dad = borrowing with zero interest = good :D

I suppose that's why I'm in the right job, lol, finance controller :D

Oh, so it's really a thesis based PhD... I've got a portuguese friend doing a Physics one in Oxford, that lasts 4 years (he's going into the 3rd). At first he had proper classes and tests, and only lately he's started being more 'free' of that stuff and having to study on his own, write articles and stuff...</HTML>

Posted by: poetheses (195.224.227.---)
Date: September 12, 2002 03:15PM

<HTML>I think that's 'cause Oxford expect you to complete a MSC first, whereas I'm going straight for the doctorate.

Credit card is where the whole plan rather falls to pieces. Mine was supposed to be an emergency thing that my mum would pay off each week, and in return I'd pay my tuition fees for uni out of my student loan. I've ended up paying both...</HTML>

Re:Eddie Pics
Posted by: all_american_cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2002 06:44AM

<HTML>DOH!!!!! Eddie is absolutely smashingly adorable! I LOVE the pic of him entitled, " what mischief can I get up to next?" TOO cute! I can tell from all of his photos that he's quite the flirt. You're a lucky man, Dave!

(Ps, am former nanny and professional childrens' photographer - can't stand ankle-biters or anything...can you tell?! LOL)

~A.A.C, aka Twila</HTML>

my personal website...but SHHH don't tell!
Posted by: all_american_cutie (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2002 06:57AM

<HTML>hey guys...I feel like I understand you guys pretty well, so I feel pretty secure that none of you will call me in the middle of the night or show up on my doorstep unannounced (Bea!!) Besides, it's buried all the way down this far on this thread, so other than you 3 or 4 (and Jasper) probaby won't ever see it anyway!

So if you'd like to take a peek into my world, here's our website.

www.jontwila.com

CHEERS!

Twila

PS, if you have problems with any of it, please let me know. I haven't updated in a while and do need to do that, but other things like the Fforde Fforum keep getting in the way somehow. Oh and yes, I do know a few links for the enlarged pics are broken, but most of the thumbnails are big enough to begin with. Planning on putting a tribute to Thursday Next, et al on my website at some point in the future. (How's that for making sure we use this forum for Fforde use?! Gotta mention it at least once ever 50 or 60 posts! LOL)</HTML>

Re: my personal website...but SHHH don't tell!
Date: September 13, 2002 08:28AM

<HTML>oh twila, is the jon I've just said would be a good addition for our crazy threads in the Nextaholics Anonymous the jon in jontwila.com?
ehehe

*rushes off to check site*

Oh don't worry, no showing up on anybody's doorstep, lol!</HTML>

Re: my personal website...but SHHH don't tell!
Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: September 13, 2002 09:32AM

<HTML>Hi AAC.

thanks, he's too flippin' cute for words. Such a cheeky smile.

Had a read of your website - great advice for taking photos of kids! I'll bear some of it in mind, next time the young man is not co-operating!!

Seriously tho, I'm really pleased with my new digital camera - it only cost 40 pounds, but takes pictures which are fine for the website. Means I can take stacks - you often get a glimpse of what he's thinking (the mischevious one for example), in a photo you wouldn't have taken with an ordinary film camera. We went out to the beach one day and I must have taken 80-90 shots. Popped them on a cd and it's a great archive of the fun things he did when he was little.</HTML>

films
Date: September 13, 2002 09:48AM

<HTML>In my time it was films, old super-8 movies :D
My dad has loads of them, but still hasn't transfered them to video cos it's so expensive. Maybe one day he'll get them put in a computer, and then buy a comp ;)
Oh, and black&white pics (it's amazing how the colour of some he took then has faded now... technology really has improved)

I got a new camera last Christmas, but in the end I bought a normal one, not a digital. I usually take pics on holidays, and I like to keep them in albums, I don't have a proper printer or photo handling program to be useful to get a digital camera. That's why the few scans I do (usually of friends, to send them) aren't very good (scanner belongs to work too, I dont have one).

(eek dave, I suddenly remembered the questionnaire! I'll try to get it this weekend :D )</HTML>

Re: films
Date: September 13, 2002 11:04AM

<HTML>I use the normal camera for when I want to take better pics (weddings and the like), but the digi camera is great for those more 'casual' shots. It's smaller too,so you can carry it around a lot easier than my bigger film camera.

Plus, you can use it as a webcam. Got it pointing out of the window here, so I can look like I'm working and be checkingout what's goingon outside.

Hey, I work in IT, I'm allowed to be a geek.. :-)

So has Ben gone then?</HTML>

Posted by: pinkish poet (195.224.227.---)
Date: September 13, 2002 12:17PM

<HTML>No, not gone, but have died hair bright pink/red. This means everybody in the office is staring at me, so I'm being extra cautious...

Last day though, so daytime posts will dry up.

AAC - will look at yuor site tonight, don't really want to risk too much at work - and the only reason I post here constantly is addiction...

Playing with digital cameras for my dissertation last year was cool - department bought a new 450 quid jobby, and let me play. Best bit was my tutor made me sign abit of paper promising to only use ot for work, and then went 'And look! you can use it to do video as well!' - I don't think he cared about the 'weork only' bit too much...</HTML>

Date: September 13, 2002 01:02PM

<HTML>I'm still waiting for those pics ;)

Better put that digital camera for good use then, lol</HTML>

Date: September 13, 2002 01:18PM

<HTML>Surely a last day is one for skiving as much as possible, coupled with a lunchtime trip to a local hostelry to down several pints of Old Throat Warbler (or similar), to get back to work in time to compose a long rambling farewell email which casts doubts on the sexual preferences of most of the management?</HTML>

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.