New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

The Fourth Bear :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
For posts regarding The Fourth Bear - WARNING: SPOILERZONE 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Book flap of the US edition
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.boisestate.edu)
Date: August 08, 2006 10:41PM

I am not sure who of you has bought the US edition, but I for one am slightly annoyed...

The book flap in the US edition talks of the poisoning of a Mr. Bun and a demotion to missing person's, of which never took place. We never meet a Mr. Bun, nor learn of his poisoning, nor witness a demotion due to the fact of it, but actually due to the Red Riding Hood fiasco, is he not allowed to take part in the Gingerbread Man case, and later on stumbles onto the Goldilock's story where he takes it upon himself to go and search for her. These events (Mr. Bun's poisoning and the demotion) do take place however in the deleted scenes section of this website.

Along with that, the flap speak's of Goldilock's being the star reporter for "The Mole" when in fact she wrote for "The Toad."

I believe a reprinting of the book flap needs to take place...

Your views? Is it the same in the UK edition?

Scott

Re: Book flap of the US edition
Posted by: Zuki-pah (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 09, 2006 06:21AM

If you look at the special features page you can read Jasper's explanation of how he wrote the book and changes that were made along the way. You will also find the deleted scene which refers to Mr. Bun, it's called Happy Families.

It appears that you book flap does need an update, but it could turn out to be a much sought after collectable like the ABBA covers with B around the wrong way (unless of course everyone has the same book flap as you).

I have the paperback version of the UK edition and all appears to be in order.

Re: Book flap of the US edition
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 02:04AM

I noticed this too... It also claims that Ms Hatchett was nicknamed "Goldy," when to my recollection the only nickname she is given during the novel is Goldilocks. I suppose the blurb was written by an editor based on an early draft of The Fourth Bear, and no one bothered to correct any of the indescrepancies.... Maybe for the paperback?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.