New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Lost in a Good Book :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Separate forum for discussions relating to this particular book. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
magwich
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: March 08, 2003 01:47PM

Has anyone else been pondering why Miss Haversham waited until Thursday arrived to go plug the hole in the plot where Magwich needs to escape in irons from the hulk?

Perhaps it is convenient in the plot for Thursday, but for so capable a character as Haversham she surely could have sorted this out without Thursday or the say so of the bellman.

Perhaps it is the existence of jurisfiction and each book as alternative universes that means that everything is occurring simultaneously, which would mean everything (including Thursday's expected entry as a child) is not delayed after all in any real sense for jurisfiction operatives or book characters.

Perhaps Havisham was so unhappy about helping a man, that she had seen the problem but didn't want to do it.

I think these books are wonderful for getting the thoughts ticking over. Thankyou Mr. Fforde!

Re: magwich
Posted by: Anonymous User (139.134.63.---)
Date: March 10, 2003 06:23AM

yes, i agree...
but i absolutely love the cat!
he's like the one that holds it all together.
if mr fjorde is reading this, id have to agree with the fact that it is quite an exce;llent book!
meza

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.rdg.ac.uk)
Date: March 10, 2003 10:32AM

I'm not sure. I fyou're always running all over the place it's easy not to notice something in your own backyard. I've just discovered the mother of all moulds growing on my windowsill. It must have been there for ages, but I've only just noticed.

Plus I guess if there's adjectivores and grammarsites then they may be also be carnounvores that remove nouns such as 'lifebelt' - so that new boojums are being created all the time.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: March 10, 2003 01:47PM

The simultaneity of all fiction (as far as the Library is concerned) is a nice idea, and might explain some other details _ such as Shelley having only just gone sailing _ too. However I think that there are too many other details (e.g. Thursday being late, numbered sessions, the addition of new names to the boojumorial...) that provide evidence to the contrary. Maybe it's just that characters who belong inside particular works can't see any bloopholes or other inherent problems in those books, because these are parts of their "natural" environments, until somebody from elsewhere points them out?

Warning! Product may continue Newts...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.