New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Lost in a Good Book :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
Separate forum for discussions relating to this particular book. 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
The ring (no not that one)
Posted by: Holly Daze (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 09, 2003 12:29PM

just before getting my hands on WoLP I re-read the other two and noticed the bit in LiaGB page 197 where Miss H slips a gold ring onto Thursday's finger. Has this ever been mentioned again or is it a literary reference to something that I'm not getting.

Re: The ring (no not that one)
Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: July 09, 2003 02:36PM

As I recall, the ring gets warm or glows or something right before Miss Havisham appears in the room where Goliath is holding Thursday later in the book. She apparently used it as a homing beacon or some such, in order to jump there. She certainly didn't read herself there, since she's unlikely to have had a description of the room, didn't know Thursday was there, and arrived without anything to read (and thus had to resort to the washing label in Thursday's trousers in order to get out).

Posted by: Holly Daze (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 09, 2003 04:40PM

Oh yes so I does, now how did I miss that. Thanks you very much now I can sleep at night again! Actually its quite nice that on re-reading a book you find bits you missed the first or second or third time round. Probably didn't sink in because the action was hotting up then and the washing label bit was so funny. Thanks again.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.qc.sympatico.ca)
Date: July 10, 2003 02:58AM

I haven't read LIAGB yet (a bit slow, aren't I?)

But ring heating up -- sorry, that's right out of LOTR. IMHO

Posted by: robcraine (---.mcb.net)
Date: July 10, 2003 09:54PM

hmm... I'm not too sure about that. I don't recall the (LotR's) ring heating up spontaneously... When heated up, that writing did appear, but (IMO) that's a totally different effect than the one in TEA.

rob, who could, of course, be wrong

------
That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?
Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.