New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: More pics of Jasper
Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: April 19, 2003 05:08PM

I don't have a sewing machine either. Well, I do, but I can't physically lift it so I may as well not have one. I do all my sewing by hand. With (gasp) a needle.

Currently wearing a very smart white suit I made last year. Be not afraid - all things are possible!

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Rob (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 19, 2003 08:15PM

I have a sewing machine. A proper old-fashioned one with a foot pedal. All kinds of disaster ensues on the rare occasions I use it...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2003 08:31PM

I learned to sew on a treadle machine when I was 7. (My mom got sick of sewing Barbie clothes for me so she taught me so I could sew them for myself!)

I even had to have wood blocks put on the pedal so I could reach LOL

Post Edited (04-19-03 21:32)

Posted by: Rob (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 19, 2003 08:39PM

It's keeping the treadle going while concentrating on feeding the material to sew that gets me.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2003 09:20PM

well, I do have to say it took a while for my thumbnail to grow back without the stich hole through it. At least I just hit the side and didn't glance off the bone or anything! But one thing is that it REALLY hurt when the needle was coming OUT - with the thread! (we had to disassemble the needle setup!)

Post Edited (04-19-03 22:21)

Date: April 20, 2003 12:15PM

Ouch... I think I'll stick to hand sewing, it's a whole lot safer! :-S

..........................................................................................

Sarah

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 21, 2003 01:13AM

A friend of mine was taught sewing at school by someone who insisted they hold the fabric at an angle, bringing the left hand in front of the needle of the sewing machine . So when the teacher distracted Krissy by calling her name, she didn't lift her hand and so ran the needle into the web of her left hand between thumb and forefinger....

I taught her to hold the fabric straight, with her hands *either side* of the needle, and got her confidence back by making her sew nice, straight seams to start with. Last year she made waistcoats and frockcoats for her wedding.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 21, 2003 01:19AM

Pretty cool... My mum refuses ot make wedding dresses any more, as they always end in divorce...

I can do cross-stich and sew buttons, but haen't tried anything more ambitious since I managed to sew myself to an apron I was making aged nine...

(And Skiffle - sort out messanger again, or i'll be forced to start filling up the fforum!)

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: April 21, 2003 02:42AM

Isn't a messanger a type of duck?

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: April 21, 2003 07:55PM

There seems to be a suspicious number of ducks on the Fforum at the moment. Are they trying to take over from the dodos? ;-)

Sarah

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: April 21, 2003 08:06PM

Good question. I believe I was actually thinking of a merganser, though, so it may not be as bad as it appears.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: April 21, 2003 08:11PM

Ah, yes, that's possible. I've heard of a merganser, only don't ask me what it looks like (it's my mum you need for that). My problem identifying birds is that most of our little feathered friends just don't keep still long enough, so by the time I have a) noticed there is a bird and b) adjusted my slightly prematurely presbyopic focus to full clarity, it has flown off going tweet, or quack, as the case may be.

I can manage flamingoes. Those are easy.

Sarah

Date: April 21, 2003 10:22PM

presbyopic? Isn't that something to do with the Scottish Church? What happens - you look at something and John Knox poops up going 'HERETIC ! '?

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: April 22, 2003 08:59PM

Hehehehe! No - it simply means it becomes more difficult to adjust one's focus quickly as one gets older. With me, it's started a little early, but I'll put up with that since the rest of me still looks pretty young! ;-)

Sarah

Date: April 22, 2003 10:45PM

I have similar problem, except my eyes can't focus no matter how long I spend looking at soemthing. Despite this I can still recognise a large number of birds (or at least not see them well enough later to realise my mistake - which isn't quite the same thing...)

PSD

==========

Date: April 22, 2003 11:03PM

Best thing about being short-sighted. Once you've got in to bed with someone and taken your glasses off, you can't see those little imperfections. Works both ways. of course

Date: April 22, 2003 11:10PM

Wasn't quite what I was talking about, but I see your point...

PSD

==========

Date: April 22, 2003 11:15PM

but better with your glasses on.
I can't get signed into messenger tonight

Date: April 22, 2003 11:22PM

*stream of rude words*

PSD

==========

Posted by: ScarletBea (---.be.jnj.com)
Date: April 23, 2003 08:45AM

skiffle wrote:

> Best thing about being short-sighted. Once you've got in to bed with someone and taken your glasses off, you can't see those little imperfections.

May I point out that being short-sighted myself, I can tell that I don't see well *far away*, not close up, and close up I can see perfectly my love :D
So bed isn't really a good example lol more like the other side of the road ;)

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.