New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Arise Sir Pterry
Posted by: CannibalRabbit (---.VIC.netspace.net.au)
Date: January 01, 2009 12:31PM

News on the BBC Website that Terry Pratchett has been recognised in the New Years Honours List.

He said: "There are times when phrases such as 'totally astonished' just don't do the job.

"I am of course delighted and honoured and, needless to say, flabbergasted."

Re: Arise Sir Pterry
Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: January 01, 2009 05:52PM

Heard about this yesterday. Go Pterry!

Posted by: Antgeth (---.hevanet.com)
Date: January 01, 2009 11:20PM

heh, i was going here to post it, and then realised how silly of me it was to think that it would be news here a whole day after the fact :P

he truly deserves it.

-------------
almost always around on the (un)official Ffordian IRC (chat) channel, #tnext on esper.net . one can go here [www.esper.net] and after it is done loading, type /join #tnext and you should be there!

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: January 02, 2009 07:49AM

Well, I'll plead ignorance of the fact until I saw it posted here.

Congratulation Mr Pratchett.

Posted by: ibborobb (194.203.72.---)
Date: January 05, 2009 12:19PM

I loved his response to being made a knight - he said he was off to purchase a horse and a sword :)

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.100.113.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: January 05, 2009 01:10PM

He is on record saying that he will get a suit of armour and do the whole vigil thing, but not in a chapel, obviously.

Posted by: BibwitHart (---.29-87-b.business.telecomitalia.it)
Date: January 05, 2009 07:56PM

Yay! How wonderful, though I wonder if being a knight gives benefits...

Posted by: bunyip (150.101.64.---)
Date: January 06, 2009 03:21AM

I, also, was wondering about that.

Will the publishers send out little 'Sir' labels for us to affix to our already purchased titles?

And knowing the effect a title has in the US will sales in the US increase? And will the increased sales be in English or translated to the language spoken in the US by many of the inhabitants?

Anyway, any new output from the pen of Sir Pterry will be much appreciated.

Posted by: geg (---.watf.cable.ntl.com)
Date: January 06, 2009 10:12AM

All TP books now to be translated into medieval english and henceforth only to be read by small number of people with beards sitting in ivory towers in Cambridge.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.181.17.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: January 06, 2009 02:05PM

If I post my beard to an ivory tower in Cambs, can I still read the books? As long as I can teach it to sit, that is.

Date: January 06, 2009 02:24PM

Beard will be irrelevant, no matter how obedient, but Doctorate in Medieval English will be absolute must, and the later does rather tend to bring about the former.

Ivory towers currently in short supply but planning regs in Cambridge expected to be relaxed to allow for anticipated increase in demand.

Rumours that providing your own dragon/damsel in distress will qualify you for an Ivory Tower Grant have yet to be denied by Cambridgeshire County Council.

Posted by: SkidMarks (---.41.181.17.sub.mbb.three.co.uk)
Date: January 06, 2009 03:59PM

I've read the Cantebury tales (in the original Klingon), and done the St. John's First Aid course, so how hard can it be to become a medieval doctor?

I will have to see if Lance Percival is free and then take him to Duxford as they have a DH Dragon Rapide there.

It looks as if my reading is safe!

Posted by: MuseSusan (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: January 07, 2009 07:22AM

I have a dragon but I don't really want to put it in distress, because that would be cruel. I suppose I will have to go find a really big elephant and carve a tower into its tusk myself.

Date: January 07, 2009 10:01AM

A British actor has been arrested by whilst attempting to steal a pre-war aircraft from the Imperial War Museum. The 75, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is believed to have shouted "I knew Ned Sherrin you know" as he was led away by Police.

A woman is recovering in Hospital after been trodden on by a bull elephant in Hamerton Zoo. A keeper at the Zoo said " I can't understand it, Speckles is normally so gentle". Nobody knows how or why the woman entered the secure enclosure but keepers found a ladder and a set of chisels nearby.

Anybody with any information on either of these bizarre incidents is urged to contact Cambridgeshire Police.

Posted by: bunyip (---.as1.adl6.internode.on.net)
Date: January 09, 2009 08:10AM

And when you have contacted the Cambridgeshire police, say: 'Sorry Wrong number.'

Sell it to whoever took over the crap show of Ester Rantzen and make a few bob out of it.

Posted by: MartinB (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: January 14, 2009 06:09PM

Late, but YAY!!!!

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.