New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: film quotes
Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 24, 2003 01:19AM

AAC: delighted to see you're a 'Princess Bride' fan too. It's very popular in Sheffield because it was filmed around here. A couple of my friends were in it as extras and I nearly had the chance.
Filming the courtyard scene, where Prince Humperdink comes out to announce his marriage. In early take, Chris Sarandon appears on balcony of Haddon Hall and declaims.
"My people, tomorrow...I shall remember my lines."
Exit actor.

Most of the cast stayed in Sheffield in area close to where I live. I later became friends with owner of video shop who told me the following story.
Rob Reiner wanted to borrow a video and sent a minion to shop. Minion got on video shop phone to Reiner back in hotel, to check what great director wanted to see. Minion and shop owner pick up tape after tape, reading titles aloud down telephone. Reiner is not impressed by anything. He makes bitchy comments about other directors and their terrible films. This goes on for 20 mins; Reiner doesn't like anything shop has to offer and minion is getting increasingly frantic. Shop owner getting pissed off at hearing his stock being dismissed. Minion picks up obscure tape and reads title to Reiner, who hasn't heard of it and wants to know more.
Annoyed shop owner loudly remarks "It's a thinking man's Spinal Tap".
Silence from other end of phone...

Rob Reiner alleged to have finally settled for borrowing those 'under the counter' tapes.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2003 04:27AM

I was an extra in a crap film called "Vision Quest" about a high school wrestler with a goal to beat a guy in a weight class down from him...does that count?

My husband was an extra in several made for tv movies filmed in Germany and also in the Drew Barrymore/Keanu Reeves version of Babes in Toyland. (He was one of the evil trees) He also did several days on a German Soap opera.

Posted by: Sarah (---.vip.uk.com)
Date: April 24, 2003 08:36PM

I was in the crowd at Bramall Lane when they filmed Sean Bean scoring the crucial penalty for "When Saturday Comes". We were all told to sound as enthusiastic as possible when he put the ball into the net (it was done at half time during a regular match).

When he still hadn't succeeded in scoring his penalty after about half a dozen takes, our enthusiasm was definitely starting to wane. I didn't see the film, but I shouldn't be at all surprised if they dubbed the sound from a BBC sports recording instead!

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 24, 2003 08:39PM

On the subject of naming sprogs after days of the week, I think e can safely recomend nobody in Sheffield chooses Saturday. The teasing at high school would be too much...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: April 24, 2003 09:10PM

sorry, I don't get that one, PSD

Date: April 24, 2003 09:12PM

See the post above mine for an explanation...

(The film in question is about a Sheffield football team, starring a Sheffield born actor)

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: April 24, 2003 09:13PM

<SHEEPISH GRIN> OOOOH!!! </SHEEPISH GRIN>

hehehe, I tend to just read the last post. OOPS!

Date: April 24, 2003 09:17PM

H'mm. Don't tell me, let me guess. PSD was making another off-colour joke.

I find that if I don't understand one of PSD's posts, it's best just to keep very quiet about it! lol

..........................................................................................

Sarah

Date: April 24, 2003 09:18PM

If people think my posts are off colour and you don't undertsand them, it's probably best I keep quiet...

PSD

==========

Date: April 24, 2003 09:19PM

hehehe, usually I do too, but I was really confused! (but then again, WHAT'S NEW! LOL)

Date: April 24, 2003 09:23PM

It's just that if I don't understand them, I assume they must be off colour.

One of these days you're going to catch me out and post something completely innocent which entirely baffles me. ;-)

Sarah

Date: April 24, 2003 09:24PM

Keep hoping...

PSD

==========

Date: April 24, 2003 09:47PM

lol

Sarah

Date: April 24, 2003 10:08PM

I was working in an Oxfam shop in Sheffield and sold various items of jewlery and props to the crew of 'When Saturday Comes'. When they finished filming they donated everything back to the shop.

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 25, 2003 12:13AM

Did you recognise anything in "The Full Monty" I thought I did a few times, but I moved away from the area when I was 17, so I could easily have been wrong.

But I'll be moving back in September, cos I'll be doing an MA there!! Ha! (sorry if I mention that in more than one thread, I'm just very happy about it. ;-)

My reality check has just bounced again.......

Date: April 25, 2003 12:15AM

What kind of girl do you think she is?????

PSD

==========

Posted by: Ooktavia (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: April 25, 2003 12:25AM

The scenery you fool, not the naked men.

*ALL* naked men look vaguely alike, I've found.

Not that I've closely studied many, she hastens to add.

My reality check has just bounced again.......

Date: April 25, 2003 11:18PM

Ooktavia: great that you're moving to Sheffield soon(ish). As for 'The Full Monty', the school that Robert Carlyle's son attends is just off Infirmary road, and very close to the New Barrack Tavern (recommonended). It's some kind of community centre now. One scene was shot at the top of Blake street, which is about 1 in 4 (I'm not kidding).

Liz, Tim, a bloke who's name I forget but who kindly gave me lift home when I was tired and had caught the wrong bus and was stranded with a lot of shoppong, and some ferrets live in a house at the top of Blake street. (Actually the ferrets live in the garden). Blake street has been the scene of some *very* good parties.

I first heard of 'The Full Monty' when I saw a trailer at the Odeon in the middle of town. All of a sudden, up there on the big screen, was my jobcentre ! Bailey Court is a distinctive, 1930's buidling, and I recognised it at once (long acquaintance...). Gasps from the rest of the mid-afternoon audience as we realized we were watching a trailer for a film set in our own fair city. The interior jobcentre scenes were filmed somewhere else, possibly a set. They certainly aren't the interior of Bailey Court.

'Full Monty' quote: "The lunchbox has landed".

Posted by: dante (---.thls.bbc.co.uk)
Date: April 26, 2003 12:25PM

the Empire magazine website (www.empireonline.co.uk, i think) has got a big film quotes quiz... you lot sound like you'd be better at it than me. I'm stuck at about 14 out of, er, 90. Though I've just found out the woodchipper one.

Date: April 26, 2003 03:21PM

here's the link for that quiz:

[www.empireonline.co.uk]

just starting it now! :)

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.