New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
My Brother the Film Star - well almost
Posted by: Auntysassy (---.range81-132.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 27, 2005 07:12PM

They are filming some of the Da Vinci Code at Lincoln Cathedral later this month and early next and held auditions at the local Drill Hall last week. Stuart, my brother, didn't attend the auditions but was 'spotted' in the High Street and asked if he wanted to appear as an extra.

£70 per day plus food etc. He was asked if he had read the book.

"Don't be daft. I read proper books!" was his reply.

He was hired on the spot.

My Mother is beside herself. Stuart has always been her 'blue-eyed-boy' and she's promising Tom Hanks's autograph to all a sundry! Bless!!!

Re: My Brother the Film Star - well almost
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2005 11:25PM

They're making that book a movie? Pfft. The plot is great, but the fact that that the-author-that-I-shall-not-name believes his crazy theory just digusts me.

"'Don't be daft. I read proper books!' was his reply."

:) Hilarious. And that's as it should be!

Congratulations!

Posted by: Bronagh (---.range217-42.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 27, 2005 11:48PM

My feet were filmed by the Discovery Channel last week. I think that beats £70 anyday!

It sounds like it would be great fun- not having to do anything for a couple of days and getting paid for it. And getting costumes- does he get to be a deranged member of Opus Dei or something?

----

Posted by: Tari (---.tu.ok.cox.net)
Date: July 28, 2005 03:19AM

Your feet were filmed by the Discovery Channel? Are we going to see this documentary sometime soon? We can keep a lookout for your toes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You kids with your long hair and Baroque music...

Posted by: Haylo (---.range86-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 28, 2005 02:36PM

"Don't be daft. I read proper books!"

LMAO!!!

Leah- yep, they're making a film of it with Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon, the one from Amelie- I can never remember her name, as Sophie, and Ian Mckellen as Teabing I think..

Congrats to AuntSassy's brother Stuart and Bronagh- we should rename ourselves the fforum to the stars..

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2005 03:02PM

Oooh, I didn't know Audrey Tatoo was going to be in it...I like her!

Congrats to your brother, Susan. It's fun being an extra. (Boring at times but still!) I was in "Vision Quest" (lower budget teen wrestling flick with Matthew Modine and Linda Fiorentino before she was in Men in Black) The Hubbster has been in several and was even in a German soap opera playing a Russian soldier LOL. He played one of the Tree Ents in the Drew Barrymore/Keanu Reeves version of "Babes in Toyland" too! ROFLMAO

Bronagh...did you paint your toenails a special color so we can recognize you? ;-)

Date: July 28, 2005 06:10PM

Bronagh - you can't just put "My feet were filmed by the Discovery Channel last week " and not expand on the story. We're waiting........

Posted by: Bronagh (---.range217-43.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 28, 2005 10:30PM

I was in Lourdes last week, and there was some cycling thing going on (I don't think it was the Tour de France, it didn't seem big enough for that, but I should check). We saw loads of cyclists and people walking around in WE LOVE YOU LANCE t-shirts, and then we saw a Discovery Channel van and people filming a man wearing a "In Lance we Trust" t-shirt and looking through the tacky souvenirs. Then that night we went to the Torchlight procession that night and there were more cameras- the people would wave candles around a bit and then every so often dart out and film peoples' feet. They happened to catch mine- my toes are painted red, and all chipped because I ran over them with my suitcase, and I'm wearing purple flip flops with flowers. Coming to a screen near you!

I'm following family tradition apparently, my uncle's feet are in some film set in Dublin in 1960s, Runnind Scared or something- he's lying in Stephen's Green.

Look out for the famous feet, who knows what heights their glittering career will reach? Clarks ads? Er... *desperately searches for other possible opportunities open to feet*

Oh my, I feel quite the celebrity....

----

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2005 01:40AM

I'd feel terrible if my feet were on television. They're all...uhrghblahyuck. Feet. But that sounds cool, if your feet are normal! We watched the Tour twice a day, maybe I caught your feet. :)

Tom Hanks has agreed to do that movie? I feel so...betrayed.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.welsh-ofce.gov.uk)
Date: August 02, 2005 09:13AM

They've started filming Doctor Who again :-) Last time I saw the Tardis from the bus when I was travelling to work :-D Hope I'll get closer this time - and have a camera with me :-O

Date: August 02, 2005 12:23PM

Oooh- don't forget to share Jeni! :) I became addicted to the last series, which definitely had something to do with Chris Ecclestone, fingers crossed Mr Tennant manages to pull it off this time...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.welsh-ofce.gov.uk)
Date: August 03, 2005 09:09AM

Don't want to make you jealous or anything *aherm!* but I went to the launch of the previous series and saw all the main cast. Even happened to park my behind right next to Camille Coduri and Noel Clarke, who play Rose's mam and boyfriend respectively, but it wasn't until the lights came back on after they'd screened the first episode that I realised who they were. "Is that who I think it is....???" Ha! Mr Eccleston was very cheerful and funny during the press interview, he did seem like a lovely person.

And I got to walk through the Tardis and now have a Dalek on my mobile :-P

Posted by: mebbe (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: August 03, 2005 11:18AM

Have you managed to get it back yet? I bet it needs some repair work...

Date: August 03, 2005 07:35PM

Jealous, Moi? Only a teensy weensy bit.... ARRRRGGGGGHHHH! Seriously though, lucky you, any chance you'll get to go to the next one and tell us about it?

Posted by: MartinB (---.is.co.za)
Date: August 04, 2005 06:55PM

I liked it actually. The da Vinci Code I mean. Don't believe it but an interesting story....

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted by: pip (---.adsl6.freecom.net)
Date: August 05, 2005 11:20AM

I thought it was a good story. Shame he can't write at all though.

Posted by: autumnbrownleaves (170.142.4.---)
Date: August 05, 2005 09:11PM

Audrey Tatou may make it worth watching. I like her a lot. Interesting story, crap writing

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

Date: August 05, 2005 09:26PM

Don't forget Ian Mckellen- virtually guaranteed to bring a bit of class to anything that's not a mancunian-based soap..

Date: August 07, 2005 08:03PM

An update - Stuart has been fitted for his costume and will appear in a scene which shows Sir Isaac Newton's funeral in 1727, I think that's the date, I haven't looked it up. Apparently this particular scene doesn't appear in the book. He will be wearing a long overshirt, a long waistcoat, breeches (can't wait to see these and laugh!), long stockings, buckle shoes and a tricorn hat. The costume is now labelled with his name!! The film makers were looking for males over the age of 40 for this scene, hence stopping my brother. That's annoyed him slightly because he doesn't think he looks 41 (his age) whereas I know that I don't look 42 (my age)!

The nave of Lincoln Cathedral is being transformed to represent that of Westminster Abbey. Newton's tomb has been copied at Pinewood studios then shipped up to Lincoln to be re-assembled. The tomb appears in a modern day scene as well but as I've not read the book I don't know in what capacity.

Filming starts in Lincoln on Monday 15 August and will take about 5 days. The Cathedral is being stripped of any modern alterations - electric lights and speakers are being removed, radiators are being covered up etc. (Radiators - that's a laugh! The Cathedral is always freezing cold). It would be lovely to see it stripped of the modern stuff and more as it should be.

Apparently Winchester Cathedral is going to be used for some scenes as well so as I live not too far away, and if they're looking for a young-looking female................

Keep you posted.

Posted by: MartinB (---.is.co.za)
Date: August 08, 2005 06:31PM

Good luck!

- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.