New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: White Horse future outing?
Posted by: Lycanthra Pod (---.dyn-du.worldhq.net)
Date: May 29, 2003 12:52PM

Why not make a trip and take in Swindon too, Devizes and Leigh Delemare

Skiffle - I know you don't know me (axe murderer in my spare time) but I have a spare bed in Chippenham if you want it, just say the word. That goes for Magda and Twila if you reach this side of the pond.

Anyone else is welcome if they like camping in the back garden - luckily Devizes is 12 miles away (not at the moment as I'm sat in my office smack in the middle of it) and we miss the mammoth migration!

Posted by: adam (195.8.190.---)
Date: May 29, 2003 01:15PM

Thanks Carolyn.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2003 01:25PM

wow, thanks Gill! Don't be surprised if I take you up on it sometime! LOL (can I bring my hubby? he's pretty quiet!)

Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: May 29, 2003 01:42PM

Can't do 29 June as already booked for the Art Deco at the V&A - but all other dates okay.

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: May 29, 2003 02:11PM

I like the idea. Can't manage the 21st-22nd June (as am currently rather short of cash for train fares, and don't get paid again until the 26th...) but anything after that is (as far as I know right now) OK.

Auntysassy_ If I can get to a railway station near you, would there be any chance of a lift from ( & subsequently back to...) there?

If it's the weekend of the 5th/6th July, or the weekend after that, then it would be quite close to the suggested party for celebrating WOLP's publication. Combine the two events?

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silly."

Posted by: belochka (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: May 29, 2003 02:52PM

I think that 12th/13th July is shaping up to be the best time for those available to come? I can't believe I forgot about WOLP publication date! duh.

I like both suggestions (Gill and Simon), although once I've been out in the fresh air I tend to lose all stamina so I don't know if I could keep up lol. I'm guessing that Swindon would be the appropriate place to have a WOLP celebration. I don't know the town at all I'm afraid.

Whichever day/date : meet around 11.30 a.m -12.00, meeting place to be arranged.

Get something to eat and drink and then head off to the Hill and Waylands Smithy. I don't think the walk around will be more that 2 hours max.

How's that sound?

B

I'm checking on pubs in the area, there's only one on Uffington's High St and I don't know what its like. I'm going to check with a friend who knows the area better.

Post Edited (05-29-03 19:11)

Date: May 29, 2003 03:36PM

Simon - West Sussex right? I live 2 miles from Petersfield if you can get to Petersfield/Havant (which I think you should be able to do okay from that way), no problem.

The Dodo knows of places in Swindon - one of them is bound to be a pub or similar - I'll ask him tomorrow (tonight I'm out til late and he'll be fast asleep before I get home).

Posted by: Simon (193.82.99.---)
Date: May 29, 2003 06:03PM

Petersfield should indeed be easily reachable (unless the railwaymen go on strike, or something else goes wrong with the railway system, again). Thanks in advance for the prospective lift.

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silly."

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: May 29, 2003 10:12PM

Gill; thanks for the offer of a bed. I'm not too worried about axe-murderers; at least it's fairly quick if done properly :) I'll check out the train fares, though if Rob is thinking about coming down from Leeds and doesn't mind sleeping on your sofa/lawn, I'll pay a share of his petrol costs. I'm a good navigator (honest).

Gosh. Haworth this weekend and maybe Swindon in July. I am going to be a well-travelled fforumite

Date: May 29, 2003 11:17PM

Auntysassy- Going a wee bit off topic, but I'd like to hear what you think of the Art Deco show once you've been, cheeky request I know :-0

B

Posted by: fuzz (---.cable.ubr05.na.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 30, 2003 12:08AM

The art deco thing is good, but a bit short for my tastes, (about 4 large rooms). Imppresivly ecleptic though, everything from deco magazines to cars, and everything in between. And of course, while you're waiting, there's the Natural History Museum around the corner.

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: May 30, 2003 12:10AM

Ecleptic? Is this one of those definitons? 'A varied taste caused by having a fit halfway through the decorating'...

Natural History Museum would be much improved by having a seven year-old in tow.

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: May 30, 2003 08:23AM

I had read about the V&A show, and it made a similar comment. Something about being it more a 'brand' rather than a school of work. Wondered if that was true.

PSD - I haven't experienced the joys of taking a seven year old around the Natural History Museum but in a pinch I can thow tantrums, ask for explanations for everything, want sweets, get bored in under thirty seconds and want to see lots of skeletons. :-)

And feeling sick from over-excitement, I'm not sure I grew out of that one entirely.

Post Edited (05-30-03 11:06)

Date: May 30, 2003 08:34AM

Why bother with the National History Museum when there's the rest of the V&A to explore? That's what we're going to do.

Posted by: fuzz (---.cable.ubr05.na.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: May 30, 2003 09:40AM

>Natural History Museum would be much improved by having a seven year-old in tow.

Well, my g/f was lucky I was around then wasn't she?
'Ooo, big skellingtons! That one's got the wrong number of vertebrae. Can we get an ice-cream?'

Date: May 30, 2003 02:56PM

I've come across a page that gives public transport information for getting to White Horse Hill from either Swindon or Oxford. It does seem to rate the usual frequency expected in rural areas!

Here's the page:

www.tombrown.btinternet.co.uk/transport.htm

I've also checked on pubs in the area, no reports good or bad on the Fox and Hounds in Uffington, good reports of the Blowing Stone in Kingston Lisle (which is just off the B4507, the main road for access to the White Horse).

Unfortunately, if the Swindon celebration is going to be on 12th as well I can't make it that evening (family birthday and barbecue).

B

Date: May 30, 2003 03:17PM

Let's make it the 13th then - Sunday - okay for all?

Posted by: adam (195.8.190.---)
Date: May 30, 2003 03:31PM

As part of the wedding thing I'll be in Italy that day (i'm sure I'll manage).

Date: May 30, 2003 06:54PM

The 13th is good for me.

Auntysassy- Have you had any luck in getting recommendations of places in Swindon? Thanks for the offer btw.
I don't suppose that there are any, good, pubs that are called 'The Cheshire Cat'? (I do l know a good pub by this name but unsurprisingly it's in Cheshire).

Poor Adam! Having to make do with all that food and wine, the landscape and architecture and culture. :)

B

What about pictures? Will we all have cameras with us, or do we nominate an 'official commemorative photographer"?

Post Edited (05-30-03 20:12)

Date: May 31, 2003 12:53PM

I've got some directions for those that are driving to White Horse Hill. Hope it's some help!

From the North: Using the M40 - get off at Junction 9 onto the A34 South. Leave the A34 at Botley and onto A420 (Signposted for Faringdon and Swindon). Come off the A420 at Shrivenham and onto the B4000. Make a left turn onto the B4507 at Ashbury. Once you reach the B4507 there should be signposting for White Horse Hill.

From the South-West: Using the M4 - get off at Junction 15 onto the A419. At Stratton St. Margaret make a right turn to get onto the A420 (should be signposted for Oxford). Look for a right hand turn to get to Shrivenham which will bring you onto the B4000. Once you reach Ashbury there should be signs to the B4507 and White Horse Hill.

South Coast/South-East: Using the M4 - get off at Junction 14 onto A338. Almost immediately make a left turn to bring you onto the B4000. At Lambourn the B4000 goes off to the left towards Ashbury which will bring you to the B4507. You can drive straight through Lambourn, following the B4100, and still come out on the B4507, by Childrey. So if anyone misses the turning don't worry!

There is free parking at White Horse Hill, but a local friend advises me that this is a majorly popular destination in the summer, so it may get crowded quite early on a Saturday. Also, to add a bit of local colour, Waylands Smithy is apparently quite popular with people into the healing power of the earth/energy from neolithic monuments/ley lines. They are quite easy to spot :)

B

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.