New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The Princess Bride
Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: June 03, 2003 12:55AM

I introduced my 5 and 8 year olds to this movies last night. They now have a new all-time favourite. but did anyone know that the fellow who plays Count Rugen, smoothe, nasty, upper-class baddie that he is, is NIgel Tuffnell from Spinal Tap?

Or am I a bit thick and just didn't pick that up?

Re: The Princess Bride
Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: June 03, 2003 10:15AM

And is married to Jamie Lee Curtis and a peer of the realm, unless I'm mistaken.

Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: June 03, 2003 12:17PM

You're not.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 03, 2003 11:39PM

My friend that ran the video shop in Broomhill had a bit of thing about Jamie Lee Curtis. One day, summer of 1986, a tallish woman wearing a fleecy top with the hood up comes into his shop and spends a while wandering around, looking at his tapes.
She brings one to the counter and asks if she can rent it. Chris says that he needs to see some form of identification.
"Oh sure," says Jamie Lee Curtis politely, producing her drivers licence for him.

I still think she should have got a copy of one of her own films and held the cover against her face as ID.

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: June 04, 2003 05:47AM

We have an ad playing here (for VISA check cards) which features Charlie Sheen, renting a bunch of his own movies. Cashier says "Someone's a big Charlie Sheen fan", looks up at him and says "Oh." He then asks to write a check, and the clerk asks him for ID. Charlie flirts with women in the store (who don't appear impressed) while waiting forever while the clerk makes phone calls and verifies who he is. The clerk finally hands back his ID, saying "This doesn't look like you." At which point we cut to Martin Sheen (Charlie's father), in the same outfit, saying "It did when I came in here!".

Posted by: Sarah B (---.cable.ubr06.dudl.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: June 04, 2003 12:03PM

lol. Very funny!

If you have the DVD of the Princess Bride then it's got the filmographys for the main characters on it.

I hadn't heard of, let alone seen, most of the films on them (Except for Peter Faulk's Columbo, obviously) but that's not the point...

--------------

There's a hole in my creativity bucket and it's all leaked out.

Posted by: Milo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 04, 2003 12:12PM

It's strange that given the release date of the DVD (not long ago) they haven't updated the filmogrpahies - Billy Crystal has been in loads of things (I can't remember if he's mentioned) and Peter Cook is a huge star in Britain and deserved I mention... well, I think so anyway.

"Mawwidge .... is what bwings us togevver"

Date: June 04, 2003 07:08PM

"Mawwidge .... that dweam wivvin a dweam" Peter Cook as the Impressive Clergyman.

I offered to make a copy of the Dread Pirate Roberts' shirt for a friend to wear to a fancy dress party. Then I borrowed a copy of the film to study and realized that the fullness at the top of the sleeves is gathered with smocking ! Still I had some useful craft books and some spare fabric to practise on. I found a lovely soft, suedelike fabric at £3/metre and was well pleased with the finished result. So was Adam, who looked great in the full kit.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: June 05, 2003 12:57AM

My 8 year old goes around quoting The Impressive Clergyman. It's a bit of a worry when he suddenly comes out with: Wove, Twue wove..."
The 5 year old just loves Andre the Giant

Date: June 06, 2003 08:57PM

LOL! Keeps us amused for hours.

The filmographies are updated to 2000, most of them. Though most of Billy Crystal's aren't on there, no.

"Liar! Liar! Liiiiaaaaarrrrr!"

"Humperdink, Humperdink, Humperdink!"

Gotta love Max's wife. :-)

--------------

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: June 06, 2003 11:47PM

Go to

paradox.of.arden.tripod.com/quiz/princess

It's a quiz to see which Princess Bride character you are.

I was Valerie.

'I'm not a witch! I'm your wife!'

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2003 01:20AM

hahaha, I'm Miracle Max...probably because I find stupid people annoying and like to wear comfy clothing while I use my intellect.

Posted by: dante (---.thls.bbc.co.uk)
Date: June 07, 2003 10:07AM

I'm miracle Max too, for the same reasons!!

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: June 08, 2003 12:40AM

Hubby is Miracle Max too. And I'm still Valerie. Oh Hell. What does this mean?

Posted by: einalem (---.xtra.co.nz)
Date: June 08, 2003 12:49AM

hehe, i'm buttercup. and i didn't lie either. ;-)

Date: June 08, 2003 10:01PM

I'm Inigo. Funny that, because I certinaly wouldn't trust myself with a sword...

--------------

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: June 09, 2003 03:03AM

Hmmm....I'm either Valerie or Buttercup, depending on a couple questions that could go either way.

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: June 09, 2003 12:00PM

<In best Kirk Douglas voice> No, I'm Miracle Max.

Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: June 09, 2003 01:00PM

<also in Kirk Douglas voice, now Rob has explained the reference> No, I'm Miracle Max.

Date: June 10, 2003 12:07AM

I just got 'The Princess Bride' on DVD today, along with 'Carry on Up the Khyber' and 'The Tall Guy'. Sigh of relief on realizing that I was right in thinking that I didn't already have 'Princess Bride'.

I may be some time......

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.