New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Don't know if these have been mentioned yet...
Posted by: Milo (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 04, 2003 12:14PM

But has anyone read Mark Fabi's "Wyrm"? It's kind of a la Fforde, albeit in a hacker-VR genre and has a lot of Alice in Wonderland connections.
For that matter, the Phantom Tollbooth certainly deserves a mention ... both well worth a read.

Surrealism, it's the way sideways.

Re: Don't know if these have been mentioned yet...
Posted by: dave (---.addleshaw-booth.co.uk)
Date: June 04, 2003 12:39PM

Sounds good, I'll look out for it. Welcome to the fforum, btw.

Date: June 04, 2003 12:47PM

Thank you. I posted a couple of things waaaayy back, but have only just got back from Uni - eagerly awaiting WOLP and the chance to meet Jasper again - I never thought I'd find myself remembering Worcester so fondly!
Saw an uncorrected proof of WOLP on ebay the other day and was soooo tempted...

Date: June 04, 2003 01:00PM

amazon don't have those books, out of print. :(

Posted by: adam (195.8.190.---)
Date: June 04, 2003 01:06PM

Wasn't Milo the boy in The Phantom Tollbooth?
I read it many years ago and the only thing I remember is that at one point he gets in a carriage or something that has no visible means of propulsion and when he starts to ask about it someone says "Be quiet, for it goes without saying" - brilliant!

Welcome back Milo.

Date: June 04, 2003 01:10PM

You can get The Phantom Tollbooth from Amazon.com (although it is a children's book, it's a great one) and Wyrm you might be able to get used from the same sight, but it's definitely out of print, since it was about the Millenium bug (loosely)

Date: June 04, 2003 01:13PM

ah, not sure I fancy paying amazon.com's international shipping charge. I'll keep an eye out on ebay...

Posted by: dante (---.kw.bbc.co.uk)
Date: June 04, 2003 01:18PM

The Phantom Tollbooth is great, and should be in most bookshops - I know i keep seeing it when I'm looking for Diana Wynne Jones books, and *nearly* buying it. Haven't heard of the other one, but it sounds interesting....

Does anyone watch Doctors (presumably non-working ukers!) It's all getting very exciting, but I'm sure it would be more exciting if I knew who any of the people *were*.

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: June 04, 2003 01:22PM

You mean they have more medical dramas during the day! Obviously, Holby City, Casualty, ER, Born and Bred (vaguely) plus Animal Hospital, Vets in Practice etc. isn't sufficient...

Date: June 04, 2003 01:24PM

Yes, he was. Was looking over my bookshelves for a suitable alias - I'm still looking for the Princesses (sp?) of rhyme and reason.
Best concept, tho'- Milo gets to conduct a sunrise ...

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: June 04, 2003 01:27PM

Welcome (back). I remember 'The Phantom Tollbooth' too. My favourite scene was when Milo literally had to eat his words. Have you also seen the animated version?

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silly."

Date: June 04, 2003 01:31PM

Didn't realise there was one - is it any good?

*searches amazon for the vhs / dvd*

Posted by: dante (---.kw.bbc.co.uk)
Date: June 04, 2003 01:46PM

Yeah, it's set in two medical practices somewhere in middle England. They seem to see about one patient a day between the two of them. (and there's about 6 doctors.)

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Guy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 04, 2003 02:13PM

Wow, that was surreal -- for a moment there I thought Dante was saying that the animated film of the Phantom Tollbooth was set in 2 medical practices in England.

That's odd, I thought, I could swear it was American and had very few doctors in it at all . . .

But I think I see what happened now (hurrah, we've now got a thread going off topic in at least 2 different directions simultaneously. Fantastic effeort, guys . . .)

Actuall I have seen TPTB, and it's quite good, in a slightly saccharine-y Disneyish kind of a way. And it starts off as live action, and only changes to animation as Milo goes through the booth, which I guess is old hat now, but it was pretty cool at the time.

Not as cool as the penguins in Mary Poppins, mind.

Jesus saves; Buddha does incremental backup.

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: June 04, 2003 02:18PM

Technically speaking, it was already pretty old hat then: Blending of live action with cartoons began in the early 1930s, if not earlier... I remember seeing a documentary on television, back in the '70s, that included a snippet of old footage in which Felix the Cat met a "real" actress.

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silly."

Posted by: Auntysassy (193.132.206.---)
Date: June 04, 2003 03:18PM

Have you tried Abebooks.com for second hand books? I've bought loads of stuff through it - even managed to track down some Dr Syn books for the Dodo's birthday!

Date: June 04, 2003 03:20PM

used abebooks before, bit hit and miss. Amazon usually have 2nd hand stuff, but not on this occasion. I'll give abebooks another go.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: June 04, 2003 07:09PM

I loved the bit in Phantom Tollbooth when Milo discovers that he is on the island of conclusions.

"But how did we get here?" asked Milo, who was still a bit puzzled by being there at all.

"You jumped, of course," explained Canby. "That's the way most everyone gets here. It's really quite simple: every time you decide something without having a good reason, you jump to Conclusions whether you like it or not. It's such an easy trip to make that I've been here hundreds of times."

Have any of you tried FetchBook.info when looking for used books? I've had a great deal of luck getting both US and UK books from various sources using that search engine.

Post Edited (06-04-03 20:10)

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 04, 2003 07:39PM

I've got 'The Phantom Tollbooth' and reread it again a couple of years ago. I remember that many years ago, there was a minor scandal over the winner of a Blue Peter art competition.Turned out that the winning picture was a copy of one of Jules Feiffer's illustrations for 'The Phantom Tollbooth'; the one of the Gelatinous Mountain, to be exact.

'Rebecca's World', by Terry Nation, is highly recommonded if you can find a copy (try charity shops)

Posted by: Tracy (---.hyperion.com)
Date: June 04, 2003 08:00PM

Amazon here in the US has the new paperback and hardcover(illustrated) for anyone interested.

There are also a number of used in both paperback and hardcover.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.