New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: for all you cat owners out there...
Posted by: dante (---.kw.bbc.co.uk)
Date: June 07, 2003 02:34PM

20 is Helen Love. They're both girls names :o) (was verruca salt not one of the kids in charlie and the chocolate factory or something?)

I was actually thinking of the marilyn manson cover of suicide is painless, rather than the manics'.

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 07, 2003 04:06PM

Ah, multiple cover confusion going on. I think some of the covers on my list have multiple versions, but I tried to limit it to those where I've emntioned them on the fforum before...

The other band with a girls name was Angelica, but I could never find any of their stuff (eg 'Why did my kitten die?')

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2003 04:23PM

Hey PSD,

with 27: Complainte de la Butte, are you talking the Rufus Wainright version or the Patrick Bruel version? I love the Rufus one. But then again, the whole Moulin Rouge soundtrack is great, isn't it? Even if they are all remakes but one. They have their own flair separate from the originals.

Date: June 07, 2003 05:07PM

I've only got the Rufus Wainwright version, unfortunately... I think that brings the collective total up to about four artists identified...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: June 07, 2003 06:52PM

my list of favorite songs seem to mutate constantly. But there are always a few things that come back on.

I will always love:

Carolina In My Mind by James Taylor (I'm a sucker for awesome harmony!)
Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy by the Andrews Sisters (see above)
Haunted Heart by Alias (Late 80's hair metal band)
Chiquitita by Abba
Tainted Love by Soft Cell AND the Marilyn Manson remake is great too
Mustang Sally (remake) by the Commitments (FANTASTIC soundtrack to a cute movie)
The Cup of Life (Spanglish version) by Ricky Martin (it's fun!)
Everything is Coming Up Roses by Black (obscure obscure 80's band)
Rock the Casbah by the Clash
Seven Bridges Road by the Eagles (harmony again!)
Turbo Lover by Judas Priest
Surfin Bird by the Trashmen
Going Under by Evanescence
Come What May from the Moulin Rouge soundtrack - done by Nicole and Ewan (HUBBA HUBBA!!)
Walk this World by Heather Nova
Sugar High by Coyote Shivers (soundtrack from Empire Records)
When the Heart Rules the Mind by GTR (Steve Hackett, Steve Howe)
Fly to the Angels by Slaughter
This Town by the Go-Gos
Sk8tr Boi by Avril Lavigne
Rock of Ages by Def Leppard (along with pretty much everything they've done...BIG fave)
A Girl Like You by Edwyn Collins (from Empire Records soundtrack)
A Girl Like You by the Smithereens (totally different song!)
Politically Correct by SR-71
Fall Down by Toad The Wet Sprocket
The Gap by The Thompson Twins

I think that's enough for now :-D

Anyone recognize these songs? LOL

Date: June 07, 2003 07:20PM

Seen Edwyn Collins live when he was supporting Pulp. There's a reason he only had one hit...

PSD

==========

Date: June 07, 2003 07:59PM

I do tend to like a lot of One-hit wonder types. They find a song with a good hook and exploit it. I like songs that have that slightly unusual sound, possibly a "foriegn sound" like The Gap by the Thompson Twins and A Girl Like You by Edwyn Collins. ( I can tell the rest of his stuff is probably crap because he never hits an actual note in the song, but I still really like it LOL)

Date: June 07, 2003 08:18PM

Hey Guy, I've been listening to my Belly cd for the last couple of weeks...hadn't listened in a long time, so it's funny you bring up the Pixies/Belly/etc family tree...

There are some good songs on the Belly album Star, like Angel, Feed the Tree, Dusted and Slow Dog. Overall a pretty strong album I think!

and by the way, that family tree site has really messed with my eyes!! 10 minutes later and I still have eye strain!! Good GSD!

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 07, 2003 11:01PM

So how old are you, then, Intrigue? I know we have one Fforumite who is 14. :-)

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: June 08, 2003 12:13AM

12 on Dante's list is surely from the Rocky Horror Show:

"When Eddie said he didn't love his teddie, I knew he was a no-good kid."

Is 'My cousin Kevin' the same as 'My Perfect cousin', by the Undertones.

"Now I've got a cousin called Kevin; who's sure to go to heaven."

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: June 08, 2003 06:33AM

The very first song I was ever aware of was 'Mama Mia' by Abba.

My all time favourite song is: Ballroom Blitz by The Sweet

My all time most hated song is: That really stupid song by Kelly Rowland and Nelly called something like Ilove you, I need you. I'm not sure because I turn the radio off as soon as it comes on.

Posted by: Guy (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: June 08, 2003 01:29PM

AAC -- yes Star is a great album, and Slow Dog is a brilliant track.

Have you heard any of Tanya Donelly's more recent stuff? The album Love Songs for Underdogs is rather fine . . .

But my all-time favourite album by a 4AD/Tanya D/Pixies/that lot band is Last Splash by the Breeders -- Divine Hammer is a particularly good song.

Oooh, and I see from your list that you remember Black as well -- I've got a copy of "It's a wonderful life" round here somewhere (they're the only band I can think of that manage to make Coldplay and Radiohead look endlessly optimimstic and cheerful!).

Jesus saves; Buddha does incremental backup.

Date: June 08, 2003 01:38PM

Black 'Wonderful Life' = bank advert music

The Kelly/Nelly dross is 'Dilemma'. Presumably as you have to choose an object to throw at the radio when you can't find the zapper. Bit like R(se) Kelly (What is with that name? There's Kelly Jones out of the Stereophonics being crap as well...) - Mark and Lard had to play his latest 'cause of the play list. "Glad to be of disservice..."

PSD

==========

Date: June 08, 2003 02:22PM

My pet musical hate is a certain Irish song, which is unusual, because normally I love Irish music. I can't remember the title, but it is sung (or rather warbled) by one Bridie Gallagher, and the first line is "For the sake of health I took a walk". I don't know how it goes after that, because for the sake of health I move on rapidly to the next track!

..........................................................................................

Sarah

Date: June 09, 2003 01:26PM

Black's "Wonderful Life" is a good album if my memory serves me, however, it's not good for people who have depression problems nor is it good to listen to after or during a long bout of rain. Makes you want to find the nearest bridge and JUMP! That said, "Everything is Coming Up Roses" is a brilliant single.

I'm just thankful that I grew up in a test market that got a lot of the more unusual stuff the record companies were putting out. I guess if it would sell in Spokane, it would sell anywhere in the US!

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: June 09, 2003 05:52PM

Sarah _
Re Bach: Am I right in assuming that you mean Johann Sebastian of that ilk, rather than any of his sons or other relatives? He's in my "top ten" of composers, too, but I'm undecided about whether it's he or [Antonio Lucio] Vivaldi who belongs at #1. I also like what I've heard so far of the works of [George Philip] Telemann: Have you heard many of those?

"This was willed where what is willed... can get rather silly."

Post Edited (06-09-03 19:07)

Date: June 09, 2003 06:32PM

Yes, I do indeed mean Johann Sebastian of that ilk, and I also have a fair bit of Vivaldi on my CD shelf. Of Telemann I have heard a little, but not enough. (Note to self: must buy some more CDs next time I am in town, whenever that will be!)

Sarah

Posted by: dante (---.kw.bbc.co.uk)
Date: June 10, 2003 08:27AM

skiffle; yep, rocky horror! And yes, it was My Perfect Cousin I was thinking of...er...just thought I'd make it a bit harder by changing the title randomly....

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: adam (195.8.190.---)
Date: June 10, 2003 12:24PM

Right, who mentioned 'Girl From Mars' - awesome, one of my all time faves, up there with 'Another Girl, Another Planet' by.......anyone, anyone....?

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: June 10, 2003 12:33PM

Wasn't it the Buzzcocks ?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.