New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
A low grumbling followed by..
Posted by: belochka (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 01, 2003 09:39AM

an eruption of town destroying magnificence! Okay so my copy of WOLP, which I scraped and begged the money to buy has NOT arrived in the post this morning, I've checked to see if if its the usual postal reason and found that it's not even been sent out yet. I am now really peed off because I set aside my day to read it.

I know some of you kind folks have already read it a lot, or even braver are waiting to buy it on Jasper's tour, so my whinge is kind of a lone howl. I am immensely annoyed though and seriously tempted to spend my day writing a long complaint so I can feel better!!

Re: A low grumbling followed by..
Posted by: dante (---.thls.bbc.co.uk)
Date: July 01, 2003 09:40AM

:o(

Where did you order it from?

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Date: July 01, 2003 09:46AM

*chokes on own rage* From the well known internet company who take their name from a South American river area, or a legendary tribe of female warriors, not sure which inspired them. They sure aren't inspiring me to any higher feelings at the moment.

Posted by: ScarletBea (194.196.168.---)
Date: July 01, 2003 09:56AM

I'm still waiting for Harry Potter *grumble grumble*

(I didn't order it, my gf did as a surprise... nice surprise, I could have read it all by now grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)

Posted by: dante (---.thls.bbc.co.uk)
Date: July 01, 2003 09:57AM

But you seem to be feeling fairly warrior-like!

Go out and buy it, and cancel the order... it's not good enough! Bet they tried their best to get all the H**** P*****'s out on time....

Date: July 01, 2003 10:51AM

I would go and buy a copy, but unfortunately that requires money to get to Oxford. Bit of a bind because the money part is sort of non-existent today. However I will use my warrior-like rage to do something constructive, I've already done some fierce house plant re-potting and will move onto some strategically relevant vacuuming and overtly aggressive washing-up.

ScarletBea - Bad luck on lack of HP, I can empathise entirely!

Posted by: Bluebottle (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: July 01, 2003 12:17PM

I ordered mine from the same place - according to my order page the 'delivery estimate' is between 18th and 23rd March. If they mean this year, they're very clever as I only placed the order a couple of weeks ago. If they mean next year...

*growl*

There are books in that order that are meant for my youngest's birthday in a fortnight, and all of the items _should_ be 'immediately available'.

I vote we march - anyone got a pitchfork they can lend me?

Posted by: dante (---.kw.bbc.co.uk)
Date: July 01, 2003 12:31PM

Bluebottle, I think we figured that delivery estimate was for the little paperback, rather than the big TP that's out now... Or the American release, possibly. Not terribly useful, either way.

Date: July 01, 2003 02:07PM

Having completed extreme housework, I now find myself extremely tired, hacked off and confused. I seem to have overlooked the same problem that Bluebottle is having, my dispatch dates are 30th/31st March. What's up with that? There's only two versions of WOLP listed, both are listed as being published 1st July 2003 and both are showing as Not yet published.

I'm afraid I don't have a pitchfork, but I do have some interesting and multi-syllable words that I am now going to use in an email to the aforementioned company :)

Posted by: Magda (---.dialip.mich.net)
Date: July 01, 2003 03:06PM

I would make sure they're not planning to send you the American hardback. A few folks who tried to order the UK hardback got the March delivery date, which makes me wonder if they're assuming folks in the States are, for some bizziare reason, ordering the American edition from Amazon.uk.

Hmmm.....just checked my order. It links to the UK paperback, but says:
Dispatch estimate: February 10 - February 11
Delivery estimate: February 17 - February 20

I'd better bloody well get it before February!!!!!!

Posted by: Tracy (---.hyperion.com)
Date: July 01, 2003 03:23PM

I tried to order the the UK hardback and got the March delivery date as well. I emailed said company and was told, "you will get it when it is available in the states". When I informed said company that was unacceptable they said that "any book that would be available in the states could not be sent before it was available in the states. However, if I wanted a book not available in the states, they would send it right away."

So, I cancelled said order. I'll have a friend in Canada bring me one when he comes down here next week.

Date: July 01, 2003 03:39PM

Have just sent the following email to Amazon.uk:

I am confused by the estimated delivery date in Feburary for a book which came out today. I ordered the trade paperback deliberately because it will match the other books I have, and because it is being published earlier than in the US. This looks suspiciously like the delivery date for the US edition. If I had wanted that edition, I would have ordered it from Amazon US, not Amazon UK, and paid less shipping. If you are unable to send me the Hodder edition, I will have to cancel the order and buy it elsewhere.

--------------
"I've often said that the difference between British and American SF TV series is that the British ones have three-dimensional characters and cardboard spaceships, while the Americans do it the other way around."
--Ross Smith

Date: July 01, 2003 03:59PM

Magda - Let me know what if any response you get from them. I'll happily re-place my order if they are actually going to send the book in the next few days.

Date: July 01, 2003 04:06PM

Have just looked into other options. The one shop on Jasper's buy the book page that has the paperback, says that shipping to the US takes 3-6 weeks, rather than the 5-12 days quoted by Amazon. Everyone else is just selling signed hardbacks for more.

I may have to resort to begging someone on the Fforum to post me a copy in exchange for a soft dodo at a time to be determined (when I have time to make it). I suppose if I were willing to wait a couple weeks I might even talk someone into buying it at Leeds (thus getting them a ticket discount even if they're already bought themselves a copy) and getting Jasper to sign it to me first.....

Date: July 01, 2003 04:18PM

Oooh that's a wonderful idea!

I wonder who on the Fforum is easily coerced....

Date: July 01, 2003 04:28PM

I'm more inclined towards bribery than coercion myself.....

Of course, I don't *have* to wait to get it signed. I can always try to catch up with Jasper again the next time he's in the States and get it signed then.

Date: July 01, 2003 04:36PM

True. As long as you have the book he can sign it anywhere. I've used coercion to get a copy from my Canadian friend but I'm certainly not below a little bribery.....

I seem to recall someone mentioning in another thread about wanting a DVD not available over the pond.....

Posted by: Rob (---.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: July 01, 2003 04:37PM

Isn't bribery a form of coercion ?

Anyway, if none of the booksellers have sorted themselves out in a fortnight's time, I'm sure I could buy a couple of copies and pop them in the post after getting them signed...

Date: July 01, 2003 05:23PM

Magda - Please do let us know if you get a response from your email. And I hope you and Tracy are able to get your copies without too much hassle!

I'm giving them until 10 p.m. tonight to tell me what the feck they're playing at and I'll cancel if I hear nothing or they start playing silly buggers. Honestly, I've never had this much trouble with them before, why on earth do they have to start over WOLP? Judging by the other thread with mention of U.K bookshops I'm beginning to wonder if there's an international conspiracy afoot.

Posted by: Magda (---.med.umich.edu)
Date: July 01, 2003 05:42PM

I'll certainly post here when I get a response from amazon.uk. They say they generally answer within 24 hours, so I'll likely hear something tomorrow morning or so.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.