New users: Please register in the usual way and then send an email to jasper(at)jasperfforde.com with your username, and write something 'Ffordesque' so we know you are a real reader, and not some idiot trying to flood the forum with dodgy Nike and Gucci gear. Thank you - Jasper

Still having trouble? Click Here for a guide to the Fforde Fforum

last updated : April 11th 2010

Nextian Chat :  www.jasperfforde.com The fastest message board... ever.
General Information 
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Underwater post office opens for business
Posted by: Pilkijam (---.gsi.gov.uk)
Date: July 02, 2003 12:15PM

Vanuatu has unveiled what it claims is the world's first underwater post office.

The office provides jobs for four dive-accredited postal workers operating in shifts.

Tourists to the South Pacific island nation will be able to buy special waterproof postcards from shops and then scuba dive three metres down to have their postcards embossed with a waterproof stamp.

It was especially created by Vanuatu Post to celebrate the 83-island archipelago's status as a marine paradise.

Vanuatu Tourism described the fibreglass post office as being surrounded by beds of coral and shoals of multicoloured fish in a marine sanctuary off Hideaway Island on the outskirts of the island's capital, Port Vila.

It's aimed at drawing attention to the diversity of Vanuatu's underwater world, and easily accessible dive sites, says Australia's ABC website.

Could also explain why my post is sometimes soggy!

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Re: Underwater post office opens for business
Posted by: dante (---.thls.bbc.co.uk)
Date: July 02, 2003 01:07PM

Whuuh? Life is odd.

:--

Do something pretty while you can...

Posted by: Simon (---.lancing.org.uk)
Date: July 02, 2003 01:13PM

And even stranger than (most) fiction.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 02, 2003 07:22PM

Is this the same place that gave Prince Philip a ceremonial ***** sheath? What was the plan then, and did it work?

Posted by: Sarah (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: July 02, 2003 07:55PM

And didn't they refer to him as "fella bilong Missis Queen"?

..........................................................................................

That which does not kill us makes us stranger.
(Llewelyn the dragon, Ozy and Millie)

Sarah

Posted by: kaz (139.134.57.---)
Date: July 03, 2003 01:02AM

That's the one! Shame she can't control him. Hell, shame she can't control her kids, as well!

Date: July 03, 2003 01:01PM

I know... poor woman...

As a matter of fact, I have a solution to the whole royalty embarrassment problem. Let's face it, these days royalty is basically a figurehead whose job is a) to look good (h'mm, Prince Philip doesn't do too well there either!) and b) to go around being good PR for the nation. They're supposed to look extremely classy, give everyone a big feel-good factor, and never say a word out of place.

So put a cat on the throne and have done with it. Minsky, this is your ideal career opening!

..........................................................................................

Sarah

Date: July 03, 2003 01:03PM

One of his jobs could be to open underwater post offices. I think he may decline that; then again Duke Chomsky the hapless could be sent out with a goldfish bowl over his head.

Then we have the problem of the succession.

Date: July 03, 2003 01:15PM

I think he has already managed to establish a succession! He matured so early that he was able to sow a few wild oats before they were harvested.

Duke Chomsky the hapless... poor kitty! Unfortunately that's about right, though.

Sarah

Date: July 03, 2003 02:03PM

I wouldn't put it past Minsky to harvest before he sowed; though he might need Klinsmann's help.

Posted by: Skiffle (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 04, 2003 12:18AM

The Royal family might put up with an endless succession of military reviews, speeches and openings (which can't really be that much fun), but they are not above having a little mischief now and again.

A nervous young officer found himself having lunch next to the Queen. When breadsticks were offered, the Queen took six. The nervous officer did the same. The Queen ate one of her breadsticks; the officer did the same. The lunch proceeded; the Queen's other breadstick remained untouched. The officer rearranged his a few times.

By the end of the main course, the breadstick problem remained the same. When the puddings were served, the corgis were allowed in. The Queen took up her spare breadsticks and fed them to her dogs. When the last crumb had been finished, the Queen turned to the young officer, and said:
"Now, what are you going to do with yours ?"

Posted by: Intrigue (---.vic.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 04, 2003 12:36AM

Cats on the throne? My tortoiseshell could do worse than becoming Queen Isabella...

Date: July 04, 2003 01:28AM

If I see one of my cats on the throne, she's probably taking a drink from the bowl. Which is why I always put the lid down after I've squirted cleaner round it.

Posted by: kaz (139.134.58.---)
Date: July 04, 2003 06:37AM

Oh, thanks for sharing.....

Date: July 04, 2003 11:29AM

I just don't let my cats in there. The wicker laundry basket would be too much temptation for little claws!

Sarah

Date: July 04, 2003 11:54PM

My bathroom is the only room in the flat that has a clear window with a convenient windowsill and view for me and the cats to enjoy. This is due to a f**k-up on the part of the double-glazers, who installed clear glass instead of frosted. I was about to ask them to change it, then decided I rather liked having a window I could stare out of (I live mostly in an attic, and have skylights). I've hung some dark red cloth across the lower pane, which can easily be moved to look out, or to provide privacy, as necessary. Have to remember to cover the window when visitors are here, as it's surprisingly easy not to realize that the toilet is, in fact, right next to a large, clear window.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.sttl.uswest.net)
Date: July 08, 2003 06:05AM

My cat is already divine; I expect she would find royalty a bit of an anticlimax.

humilitas

"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so." --Ford Prefect

Posted by: AlisonS (213.38.32.---)
Date: July 08, 2003 09:52AM

Mine would be bored - he shredded my linen basket in a week, so chances are he'd be the one under the throne clawing at the foreign dignitaries' feet - the Prince Philip school of diplomacy!

Posted by: poetscientistdrinker (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: July 08, 2003 07:16PM

Talking of cats, I read today that anglers in Italy are using live kittens as bait for catfish. Not-terribly-PC, one suspects.

And have you seen that there's a company who've registered powergenitalia as a domain name? People assumed it was an offshoot of Powergen, but it appears not, sadly. It's one of those face/vase things, really...

PSD

==========

This is the work of an Italian narco-anarchic collective. Don't bother insulting them, they can't read English anyway.

Date: July 08, 2003 07:50PM

That's just evil.

Well, I originally meant the bit about the kittens, but when I think about it the other bit is fairly evil too, although not quite in the same way!

Sarah

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.